Register To Comment

Thread: Getting started with electrics

FAT MAN
    Hello to everyone,
    Ryan, my Autistic son, has been a fighting robots fan for a long, long time. We made a simple rambot with spikes 3 years ago and were ready to take part in battles but he couldn't handle the prospect of his bot getting bashed so we postponed everything.
    However, he might just be able to now, so we are going to upgrade it and hopefully get to RoboChallenge in Yeovil 2015.
    I need some ideas regarding the layout of the circuit board needed and details of failsafes (I really don't know much about them). Do I need a separate battery for each motor drive? What to use for a removeable link, I was thinking of a 30A flat car fuse - would that work?
    The components that I think we need - 5 cell LiPo battery for 18 volt
    2 X drive motors
    Speed controller
    Removeable Link + LED
    Receiver + battery
    We've enjoyed reading many of your build diaries and we hope to post one when we get started in earnest.
    We're looking forward to all your ideas with great anticipation.
    Ta Ta for now from Ryan and Colin.

Hi Ryan and Colin,

Quote Originally Posted by FAT MAN View Post
    Do I need a separate battery for each motor drive?
    No, you can use 1 battery and have both speed controllers feed off that. The motors get their power from the speed controllers.

What to use for a removeable link, I was thinking of a 30A flat car fuse - would that work?
    Provided to motors don't draw as much current yes, but I would use a fuse more suited to the battery you intend to use. I normally do not use a fuse as a link, but a RC connector in a loop between the battery plug and the ESC's. A EC3 or EC5 connector or Deans Ultra are very good for those.

The components that I think we need - 5 cell LiPo battery for 18 volt
    That is not a bad choice provided your motors and speed controllers can handle it.

2 X drive motors
    18V Drillmotors or Banebots gearmotors are very usable.

Speed controller
    1 or 2, depending on the type. Two of the Botbitz TZ85a ESC's are very nice for featherweight drives, and not a big assault on the wallet.

Removeable Link + LED
    Correct

Receiver + battery
    The receiver can get its power from the TZ85a, so it does not need its own battery.

I'd say your shopping list is pretty much complete apart from a frame and armour of course.

Good luck and happy building.

Attached a wiring diagram for a 2 ESC layout wit link and fuse (mandatory for Lipo).

dual esc setup diagram.jpg
    Last edited by leorcc; 29th October 2014 at 10:08.

Gimson has supply issues with the GR02 that is why I did not recommend them.

FAT MAN
    Hi,
    Thanks very much guys for the very useful info. Ryan is very excited that you're out there willing to help him.
    Do we have to use 2 ESC's because I was thinking of using 1 via a mixer. If we can use 1 ESC how do we wire it to 2 motors?
    And can someone explain failsafes, What are they? Do we need one? How does it fit into the circuit?
    Thanks again guys,
    Colin & Ryan

Register To Comment