Register To Comment
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: FRA UK Featherweight Championship 2014 hosted by RoboChallenge

I'm in the Birmingham airport etap/ibis budget, seems dirt cheap compared to everywhere else I looked, and appears to be just a short walk away from the NEC, according to their site and the maps they've put up...

There's a reason Ibis are dirt cheap...

For last 2 years i stayed on IBIS airport, nothing to complain.

Obvious we cant expect a 5* hotel, but to just sleep and take a shower its the best you can get for that price. Clean room, tv with a few channels, paid internet.

The best way to NEC is across train station, take the shuttle from airport to station and walk to NEC, you have indications. Will find a "gate" where you need of show your pass.

Last and only time I slept in an Ibis at Gatwick, the bed was like sleeping on concrete!

Sign ups will be closed this Friday! Any last min entries please get them in quickly. The draw will then take place live on the Robo Challenge Facebook page on Monday 31st March

How many entries so far? At least 40 (80% of the planned 50), but how far off the total are we?

So I was looking at last year's videos and realised I don't have a strategy for axe-bots. Does anyone have an opinion on how thick a titanium plate would be needed to withstand the nastiest axe?

Binky was hit full force my Little Hitter and its 2mm Grade 2 Titanium got dented but no were near punctured. Conker 3 had 3.6mm of Grade 5 Titanium on the top. That should stop everything. The only worry is Grant's new axe machine that can in theory go through 4mm of Grade 5 but I doubt that it will actually be able to put all its power down to make that a reality.

All that said, Carnicus has, i think, 6mm HDPE top armour and it was fine. Bent but unpunctured and good to go again.

Realistically an axe robot isn't likely to do huge amounts of damage to the armour of your machine. 2mm ti would be fine to stop it getting punctured. It's the shocks that I hope will cause the damage (most of my axe heads will be blunt).

Our machine took several hits from LH3 (pneumatic axe, powerful) with just 6mm HDPE top armour, and had no issues, only chiseled the plastic a little. Hence this year I am using 5mm HDPE!

(I expect it to get quite badly damaged and am just going to have try and out-drive the opponent)

Register To Comment