Register To Comment
Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: HardWired II

I might have done with some more weight and grip, my only tactic would have been running away which in theory could have worked, but that's just a bit cheap isn't it?

Either way, I could only have own with that method if Endeavour went out somehow, since I believe they have the same size battery as I do but with less high amp draw motors (drills vs Johnson 51mm/speed 900s)

To be honest with you, I think we'll both have some scary machines next year if upgrades work out, yours will be much scarier like... HardWired II will fight again!

The axe will be scary but hopefully I can get the drive sorted so I actually have a chance to use it, I'm hoping to have Hatchet running by Barnsley and Hatchet 2 by the end of the year so I have plenty of time before the champs to get rid of any problems.

Hopefully! I think you just need a little bit more in he way of clearance or just grippier tires. You'll get more grip at the heavy events anyway because they're wooden floors and the screws will get a bit more grip than on metal I'd guess... Not ideal but it's a start!

Looking forward to having that scrap if you're at Barnsley too! HardWired will probably have some small upgrades before then, it's my birthday before so I might have a bit of money with which to upgrade, but we'll see.

I'm hoping to have HardWired III built before the end of the year so I'm well ahead and I've got time to refine and iron out any creases. I hope to get to a full combat event before next years champs with both machines, but I don't know whether that's doable. Just depends on when they get built I suppose.

HardWired II will stay relatively untouched, just refined- the shape will get a bit of a change because the sides are drum-bait as 720s hit proved... Maybe some removable skirts or something. Other than that, just making a move towards more weight, more grip and more control, really. I'd like to have the sheer push of BonX, Satanix and Tiny Toon but in a smaller, tougher shell. Ideally I'd like stupid speeds right at the top end of the sticks but that's a programming thing I'll have to sort. Brushless might mean that I can have wider wheels or two side by side since the motors won't be as big. Tempted to get some of those 750w NTM ones for testing's sake and rehouse those into HardWired III when I get that done. HWII will end up with the beefiest motors I can get in there.

Going to get started on designing HWIII soon, just need to get some decent CAD software and a working computer, and I'm good to go.
    Last edited by Flag Captured; 15th April 2014 at 13:41.

Put these motors in it!! Just for the sake of uberdrive!!

Haha, they'd be epic! I'd love to if anyone's got a spare pair they'd like to donate? (Uber optimism there)

I think from the stats the brushless would actually have more power, but it's the delay with startup and turning that might be a pain, though I'm toying with the idea of a bigger reduction, bigger motors and magnets for downforce. I know Dave was using big motors and a huge amount of downforce on 540, and I believe he said that the motors were very hot afterwards, however that was with 6WD, I'd have 2 so there's a bit less in the way of friction when it's turning I'd guess but I don't know for a fact.

BonX and Satanix use the same basic drive setup, albeit with more voltage.
    It seems the soft compound just doesn't have any grip and wears out very fast.

So, the first thing to test, is another tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Captured View Post
    Haha, they'd be epic! I'd love to if anyone's got a spare pair they'd like to donate? (Uber optimism there)
    Sure would, I'm saving up for a pair of the 940 variations for Flow at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Captured View Post
    I know Dave was using big motors and a huge amount of downforce on 540, and I believe he said that the motors were very hot afterwards
    Understatement of the century, 540 was always going up in smoke!

What Matt was saying at the champs is that he felt Hardwired didn't have the pushing power of some of the other robots, Gianto and Satanix for instance, this was down to the fact that he had very little grip, the ratio at which his motors were run and probably the power of the motors themselves. For a normal robot that drivetrain would be perfectly adequate but for a robot like Hardwired that uses it's push and ram as a weapon more power is necessary.

Register To Comment