Register To Comment
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Turnigy TZ-85A brushed motor hack - amended code for Spektrum Dx6i

Hey guys, can someone explain to me what the actual issue is? In researching this (these) issues ahead of buying some more BB-hacked TZ85s for Rango, I set up Tormenta 2 to run on the DX6i. At first, as predicted, the throws were limited when using the TX mixing and setting them to 125% didn't eliminate the issue. That was expected. I then did what the guy in the video suggested, setting the MIX 1 and 2 throws to 125% and I now have 100% fwd/back, correct mixing, and it all failsafes correctly, including the weapon channel.

The drive and weapon all runs on 3 TZ85s, and they're not new models, they were purchased sometime in 2012. But I seem to have correct performance. The speedos run out of range and brake the motors when pushing the stick into full corner, but that happened with our independent v-tail mixer and with the original Planet 5 setup.

What problem is everyone having with the DX6i/TZ85 combo? Doing the programming quirk in the last video on the OP seems to have solved the half rates problem. The corner stick not working is technically an "issue", but in combat you rarely go into that part of the range. And even if you do the moment it's back in range the motors run full throttle, there is no delay.

Can someone enlighten me on what should actually be going wrong here?

edit: actually it might not be mixing quite in the same way it does with the Planet 5 and separate v-tail but I don't think that's related to the speedos. It seems to interpret my stick inputs a bit differently. Yes, the corner-stick-cutout is a bit weird and might be a bit more extreme than with the other radio setup but it's a non-issue I think. Can't really know until I can drive the bot in anger, but, it seems it's only full throttle donuts that can't be done!

Question of whether my experience matches those of others with the same setup stands, though!
    Last edited by Ellis; 13th March 2014 at 12:30.

Yeah, same problem as I had, corner cutout. It was an issue in my eyes and it was something I was acutely aware of and which irked me when driving, rather than something minor that I could adjust to. All fixed with the amended Spektrum code (wasn't using a Spektrum though).

I don't have somewhere I can test properly to know if it's an issue for me is the thing. I am confident I can fight with it as-is if necessary.

Off topic but related question, how long has it typically taken for BB orders to arrive in the UK for you guys? Worried it's too late now.

Hi,
    I'm planning on hacking some TZ85A, but before I order the pololu programmer I wondered if I could do it with one of these:
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/718
    Which I've already got for programming arduino minis. Or can I use an arduino as a programmer (I'm sure I read about it somewhere?)
    Thanks,
    Max

New version of the BotBitz 85A available with a programmer box.

Allows you to adjust the low, centre and high points on each controller to suit your TX plus other features.
    If anyone wants to upgrade their V1 85A's, email sales@botbitz.com.

I've tried to set up mixing on my DX6i by following the video but I don't have wingtailmix as an option not sure why. Anyone got any ideas?

Register To Comment