Register To Comment
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Gas Diary's

Ahh Ellis, chucking a real spanner in my works
    Thanks for the advice. I am used to chains gaining some slack and there is plenty of opportunity options to adjust tensioners if its tolerable. If I am having zero luck then I will change it around and get some belts. I dont think they will be taking as much punishment as weapon chains. I am covering the wheels as much as possible to avoid stress.
    Armour is causing me more of a headache than anticipated. Dam featherweight spinners looking really dam decent. Think 3.2 hardox or 2mm good grade TI. It will be really well braced because of the chassis and it not being just a standalone part.

Also really mixed on 3.5:1 or 2:1. I have the option to switch between them at least. Torque on these motors is very impressive. About half of a 750. Going to have a play.

Cant wait for the weekend to build me robots.
    Last edited by Gaseraki; 31st May 2013 at 14:49. Reason: text was bold for some strange reasson...

I think 3.5:1 is worth it. 15mph is still bloody quick, and you're very unlikely to be able to use more speed in the 5x4m RoboChallenge arena. Our machine does 10mph and it feels pretty quick! When you're pushing a machine you'll probably benefit from having more grunt, and if they're even slightly on top of you you regain grip with their weight so the torque is used.

Magnets might be an option if you want to put the power of those motors to proper use?

I don't think 4mm steel is as bad as Ellis says so, the chassis of satanix is 4mm steel and the wedges have survived whacks from all sorts. I think it's to do with the way it's constructed, with the wedge plates braced in between the side plates. It has been pierced before, but did not bend like Ellis's plate.

This is true and should have occurred to me. When 4mm steel forms a tight structure it is still very much usable, just as a freestanding front plate it may not last long. Today's verticals can catch even the lowest of wedges.

Welded plate underneath the wedge with supporting blocks, welded seam at the front of the wedge. It would be heavy, but rock solid.

Why does no one use Stainless Steel? It weighs the same, can't see a noticeable difference in price?

The 2mm stuff I had on BitzaWood stood up pretty well. LH's punch axe head put holes in it, but everything else just scuffed it. It was only really 360 that put it massively out of shape, and even blew holes in it! But we all know what 360 can do.

The 2mm on the back of Kaizer stood up to Boner, so it could be used, the weight is about a 5% difference which could make the difference to the grams (2008 champs, the weight Marco had to cut out of Trojan was rediculous).

I believe stainless Steel is a pain in the a$$ machine and weld. I also thought it was more expensive which I imagine gets more substantial when you go to thicker sheets. But saying that its probably easier than hardox!
    But I think people use it for drums on drum spinners- I know that I did and so did drumroll.

Yeh I found it harder to drill than Ti!

Register To Comment