Register To Comment
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Jeopardy: Endeavour

Hi Guys

So, after its first outing at Portsmouth, I thought it was about time that I introduced you all to Endeavour properly. So......

Endeavour is my first ever combat robot and after studying rules and techniques, desiging and building for the past 2 or 3 years, I finaly made it into the arena. Here are the specs:

Name: Endeavour
    Weght: Around 10Kg
    Weapon: Rammer
    Motors: Makita 14.4v drill motors
    Batteries: 14.4v 5000 mAH
    Size: 450mm x 330mm x 100mm
    ESC: Bot Botz 85 amp

And some pics

Run down of Robot Wars Portsmouth 2013: We considered this event as a test run for the FW champs. In the first two fights, the robot felt abit sluggish campared to the night before when we were testing. We later found out that this was due to the transmitter being in low rate mode. A school boy mistake, but at least we made it at Portsmouth, not Birmingham when we are fighting 720 . The main problem we had at this event was the scoop bending. This happened in almost every fight which caused us to lose drive. The reason it bent was because it was made out of 2mm mild steel. In the next few weeks we are going to get another one made in 4mm steel with support on the side flaps. All in all, i think that it was a great shake down for the bot and it was a great experince.

Will put some photos up of the build process adn the really bent scoop when I get a chance.

Pity I had other things on my mind at Portsmouth (Freezing Bullfrogs and bend bottle-shutters).

And yes, it looks to me that those pictures are from a pristine HDPE machine with spraypainted steel parts.

SamO, if you have the weight left for 4mm mild steel, you could go for 4mm Hardox. Enough of that stuff going around to make a scoop from. And it's a worthwile investment.

The scoop at the front is steel, and it has thick aluminum right angle on the corners at the back.

The problem with getting the scoop made of hardox is that we have no way of acquiring it and getting it made before the champs. It is an aim to use hardox in the future though.

Was nice meeting you at Portsmouth, and the robot looks great, you've inspired some modifications to mine

Good luck at the champs!

I want to know that to! Table saw? Band Saw?

I did mine with a table planer, you get an excellent finish with it...but its a bit messy, hdpe swarf sticks to everything!! A hand plane is good as well for finishing off (it gets some getting used to though as hdpe is so soft!)

Yep, we just used a table saw to cut and then a file to polish up some rough bits. The diffirculty we had with cutting HDPE is that it leaves a skin like layer on the edge. This is nothing a stanley knife won't sort out though!

Progress has been made!

Over the last week, I have been trying to get a Hardox scoop made.

We should now have slightly higher chance of surviving against 720 :P
    Thanks to Mario for all his hard work on this!
    Last edited by SamO; 10th April 2013 at 11:49.

Register To Comment