Register To Comment
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Pasty Build Diary: Loki

Redesign in the works... seem to have some spare weight at the moment

It would be fine. If your protective blade gets under them then you are good to flip. Also your blade will probably be stronger than their flipper edge so its less likely to be twisted by spinners and made useless.

Current design of Ziggy, uhh I mean Loki 2, still playing around with the details.

Looking good! If you have any spare weight, add a horizontal strip to the back of the wedge at ground height. Even a 20mm strip will make the leading edge far stronger and bend resistant.

After advice on the motor mounts I've designed, bit restricted for space at the rear end so I've come up with this:

The top two bolts are m6 80mm, and the bottom is the 14mm aluminium wheel axle, bored 5mm into the 15mm HDPE side and held in place with m6 bolts (don't tell Ellis that I steal all his ideas). Worried it might be a bit vulnerable being attached to the sides?

Also the mount I've designed in 6mm 'Ecocast' aluminium. Overkill? Adequate?

Cheers

Is the axle fixed or rotating? I would move the top screws down as close to the wheel as possible to minimise the effect of flexing in the plastic on the gear mesh. Is the motor mount attached to the base plate or just the sides?

It's a fixed axle, good idea about moving the screws. As it stands it's only attached to the sides.

As your in the design stage, I would urge you to move the motors so they're side by side. For you this is easily achievable because of your gearing set up. Reducing the width will reduce your overall size, meaning more wieght for armour. Out if interest what are the overall measurements?

Will the wheel have a bronze bush or bearing in it or will it just spin directly on the axle?

Gabe I have considered side by side motors the only problem is the bottles lie lengthways on either side of the arm so I it needs to be that width to accommodate them anyway and the whole thing would either have to be longer so the motors go behind the ram or alternatively in the spaces where the bottles are now so then would probably have to be taller. Also I've got the motors with gears welded on already lol.

Max I've got some Oilon to make bushings, do they just reduce friction and wear?
    Last edited by ChrisKazoo; 2nd November 2014 at 20:43. Reason: spelling

Register To Comment