Register To Comment
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: FW Electric hammer - Robo Challenge (no name yet)

The bulkheads are 16mm thick Alumec - it's similar to 7075 in most respects. I'm using this because it was available, otherwise 7075 or 2014 would have been used. The other ali parts are from thicker billets of the same material.

Ahh, I see! Is 7075/2014 the way to go for bulkheads like this? I've seen some 6082 sold as bearing holder/bulkhead type material that seems decently priced, but I don't know how suitable that is!

Apologies for almost hijacking your build thread too!

No problem at all! The whole point of a build thread is to show others how we do things and pass on info or learn things ourself!
    But yes, my preferred choice for bulkheads would be these materials as the tensile strength is close to that of steel, but with very little weight difference compared to other aluminiums. That means certain sections can be thinner and held a lot of force.

The other difference is that they are very hard in comparison to the 6000 series, they don't bend so much as snap, not good for armour or plates that need bending. Also, machining these materials is soooo much easier as they chip off nicely and don't clog up the cutters like softer aluminiums do. Makes things a lot easier.

I did a little more work last night, but it's still going a little slowly as I only have a few more days left to get the most of it done!
    I lightened out the the main gear on the first stage on the mill. Just need to make the shaft for this one now and get it keywayed on.
    IMG_2336.jpg
    The gear cover is now machined and fits nice too
    IMG_2339.jpg
    I start machining the cams tomorrow now as I was abit tied up today.

Looking really nicee why the rush to get it done?

It's being filmed next week for a TV show we've been working on, will let you know more details when I'm allowed!
    The A28-150 I'm using will be pulling over 100A on 24v in my setup, and more like 200-250A when I'm running on 12s lipos

Register To Comment