Register To Comment
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Saint Robot Builds

Craig....the masses would have been watching the boring flippers. I watched your robot...it was actually quite flawless. It got a shed loads of hits...it it were Thor then Thor would have won. If I were watching your robot and judged the fight on hit counts you would have won. I guess your robot is good enough for the win....just not for the show and the crowds. After all it is a show and not a competition.

No flames on the sword, that's why you weren't first, Craig. Kidding, I've no idea. Asides a flaming sword.

I am not trying to I insult your robot, I think its great because it is so different and not just a flipper. But in that fight from my perspective it didn't really achieve much, it does little damage to the other robots and just seemed go chasing around the flipping robots which were fighting each other whereas saint just ran into them and bounced off. But saying that I was just glancing at the video so may have missed something.
    I thought it was more interesting/exciting with the big hammer thingy on it which sounded like it did real damage even though I doubt it did much to hardox. As entertaining as saint is, I think it will struggle to win a fight as it cannot really defeat another robot without pushing it into the pit- it's not going to break it and can't flip it out- perhaps that is just the problem with our scoring system. Like I said just my thoughts and I can't really remember who pitted behemoth so if that was saint that changes things a bit.
    Last edited by Max; 1st June 2013 at 22:34.

Listening to the sermon this evening the LORD reminded me of a lesson I learnt many years ago and evidently forgot.
    Success and failure, winning and losing are merely different sides of the same lie!
    The emphasis is on result and not on character, what people think rather on what is true and good.
    So I have decided my original question is the problem,

It is not why didn’t it win?

But how did it perform?

Looking at the video again, Saint was always going forward and engaging the other robots, I counted 18 good hits, it was well driven (by Zack) didn’t stop trying all through the fight, the other robots didn’t flip it much, as has been said to me before
    “Craig flipping Saint is just a waist of gas; it always lands back on its wheels.”

So in conclusion

Thor’s axe can’t cut through it.
    Tiberius beak can’t penetrate it.
    Kan opener’s claws can’t crush it
    Storm can’t stop it
    No flipper can turn it turtle
    Even the pit can’t hold it.

It does all this with 2 old Bosch motors, some chains, an old 180 Wotty and 2 lead acid batteries!!!
    Given the same I challenge anyone to do better.
    IT’S THE SAINT AND I AM PROUD TO HAVE DESIGNED AND BUILT IT.
    So in my book it wins

Amen to that Craig

IMGA5808.JPG

Been doing some soldering, I had bought 6 36V NiCd packs off the Big Nipper team. converted them into 8 24V packs.

Hope to use them at Guildford without Wotty magic smoke this time.

Got the Armour plate back from the foundry!

This is another modification for Cherub the 3mm plate on the front got bent again! "THOR" enough said.

So I have increased the thickness to 6mm on the sides and 8mm on top also I have taken a design idea employed in the Armour of the Armadillo and Woodlice, so this time the front plates will overlap the rear Armour allowing some movement between them when hit.
    This is what I like about this hobby always learning.

As promised pictures of the new Armour, at the moment it is just tacked together. the design is keeping the same shape as the last one, but as mentioned before it is now going to overlap the rear Armour. Hopefully making it stronger.

2013-07-04 19.32.48.jpg

Proof the top Armour is 8mm thick!!!

2013-07-04 19.33.09.jpg

I had to do some modifications to the bulkhead on Cherub, and got to thinking how fast could I put it back together again?

The start just the chassis and the lifting arm assembly.
    2013-07-06 09.59.50.jpg

Then the weapon motor assembly and chain. 8min-54sec
    2013-07-06 11.09.06.jpg

Then the drive motors gearboxes wheels link and rear sub assembly. 8min-40sec
    2013-07-06 11.22.06.jpg

Then Battery tray speed controller bracket and more wiring. 3min-12sec
    2013-07-06 11.35.57.jpg

and then the radio receivers the rest of the wiring and BEC ready to go. 4min-51sec
    2013-07-06 14.15.32.jpg 2013-07-06 14.15.20.jpg

So from chassis to robot 25min-37sec. and it worked!! is this a record??

Register To Comment