Register To Comment
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tormenta 2 - Build Diary

Hi guys! About time I make this thread I reckon.

Tormenta 2. We're hoping this machine turns out to be what Tormenta could have been and more. Much of v1 will be reused in this machine. The whole drive train and control system will be the same, but made more reliable. We were very happy with Tormenta's drive so we will be sticking with its drills. All of its reliability problems came from the failure of plastic gears, so we will be using all metal. Speed control wasn't brilliant with the Electronize but it will do for the moment. We may look into more precise control if it becomes a problem.

The weapon will hopefully be more interesting. It's a big-drill powered lifter/flipper style thing, comparable to that of a certain famous American robot.

The chassis will be entirely HDPE (we may use some chopping board in low-risk places to keep the Tormenta spirit!), 10mm base, 20mm bulkheads and 10mm armour all round. If we have the weight left over I am hoping for a big steel wedge on the lifter, spanning more than the width of the robot.

We have 2 batteries, 4 drills, 1 mega drill, chains and sprockets, 3 ESCs, radio battery and receiver, all the wires, and God knows what else, to fit inside. This robot will be smaller than Tormenta. The inside width is 21cm, whilst the length (again, usable inside space) about 35cm.

------------------------------------

Think that pretty much covers it. We have made some progress with weapon test rigs, as you can see here: ... re=youtube

And all photos, as ever, will be going on a Photobucket album, here: http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i32 ... menta 2/

------------------------------------

Any questions, ask away. In the meantime I'm going to attack the drill shaft, as so far every attempt to secure the sprocket has failed. Next stop: cotter pins!

Ellis

yeah i am so despirate to see tormenta 2.
    its gonna be awesome.
    what's the Mega drill?
    keep the old tormenta shape.
    looked one of the best shape bots at the champs.

Thanks Archie. This robot will be quite different to Tormenta, though we do intend to keep it as white as possible as it stood out quite nicely.

This weapon test was much more successful! We drilled through the 3 layers (nut, shaft, screw) that hold the sprocket on and put a pin (masonry nail) through. So far it seems to have done the trick. Video demonstration:

You know I said chopping boards were a bad idea? Same goes for Plywood... Haha.

Looks awesome, although I too was planning on ripping off Sewer Snake.....

Just added a bunch of pictures of the CAD I have put together for Tormenta 2: http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i32 ... menta 2/

I finally feel I have done Sketchup justice and can move on to better software.

Looks really, really good!
    Cant wait to see it in action, when is it going to be built by

That looks epic Ellis! So compact as well, getting on for Jamiesque density!

you have got skills on cad man!
    what software did you use?

Register To Comment