Register To Comment
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: buying a robot for £200

or do u mean battle rat

There was no mention of a Battle Rat, lets not make the situation anymore complicated than the one that is being created here by saying that

The featherweight will be fairly quick I suppose, possibly even fairly competitive with some of the other feathers.

15mm mild steel? you do know the density of steel 7.8g/cm squared (and hdpe is 0.94g/cm squared). it will also be a pain to work with and more expensive than hdpe in that thickness. for a first robot i really wouldn't recommend building a spinner! they can only be used 3 times a year, also you won't be able to build one and stay within you £200 budget

Quote Originally Posted by 18thomas916
    im goin to put 15mm mild steel on it and try to put a small spinner on the back

You mean a mobile phone vibrator motor with toothpick as spinner, and a drivetrain with a single 500mAh lipo battery , because 15mm steel is rather heavy.

Not even BonX used that thick a plate. Imagine a robot with a footprint of 250*200mm, 50mm high internaly.

Bottom/top plate alone would weight 12 kg. front and back plates 4.7 kg, sideplates 3.7 kg.
    =20.4kg (in HDPE that's only 2.5 kg)
    15mm thick steel, I don't even know any heavies that used that as main structural armor or frame. Spinners, as a weapon, yes, but that's about all.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    density of steel 7.8g/cm squared (and hdpe is 0.94g/cm squared).
    squared? by your logic the thickness of the steel doesn't affect the weight as it is only two dimensions which are counted, you mean cubed! and i imagine that what he meant to write was 1.5mm thick mild steel

Register To Comment