Register To Comment
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: team combat penguin build diarys

Mario made the gearbox, And Robo Challenge modded the disk to be single tooth.
    Before the first event I used it I had to rebuild the gearbox and straighten the frame out as (looking from above /behind) the right weapon motor was hard pressed against the right drive motor and the gearbox skipped a tooth or two every so often and kept jamming and blowing relays. That was easily fixed.
    The reason it was putting a dent in a drive motor before was because the frame that carries the disk and gearbox was only connected to the rear part of the frame that carries the drive motors by a single piece of flat bar that had a massive square cut out in it.
    At the UK Champs the robot lasted 1 hit untill it completely smashed a drive motor. I replaced the broken motor for the next fight and the same happened again. I managed to bodge it for the rest of the event but only one drive motor worked properly throughout the event, If you watch the videos back it hardly ever has drive on one side of the robot but still managed to do well and come 3rd. With spinners as long as you keep the big spinny thing aimed at your oppenents robot you should be fine.
    Over the weekend of the UK champs the gearbox locked up a few times and was blowing relays again. I think i went through 3 of them. In the semi final the gearbox pretty muched locked intantly and blew a relay after one hit. The only reason the robot made it into the play offs was because Gary let me use the relay from Hornet II.
    After the UK Champs I put an extra brace bar on both sides from the rear frame to the front frame to stop it twisting. Never had problems with the fame twisting after that.
    I used it at the Tag Champs and all that really let it down was the gearbox, I hadnt repaired it after the punishment it got at the UK Champs when the frame was weak so the gearbox was still slipping.

If the motors had been tightened back up before the tag champs it would have been fine.

The robot changed a little bit aswell.
    It had the full body remade. It has thicker armor than before and the full robot is smaller. Its about 20mm narrower and 30mm shorter than before.
    The tip of the disk was about 40mm off the floor, I lowered the full robot and tilted the disk so it is only 5mm from the floor. Also to do this the front frame was cut down alot then plated and braced, So its stronger now.

The gearbox is nice, Its a well made little thing but the punishment of the right weapon motor hitting the right drive motor every hit basically started ripping the motor from its mount, and with them bevel gears if the drive motor is loose and moves back out of the mount a milimeter or two the gears dont mesh and thats why it was slipping, if you pushed the motor into place and held it there it worked perfect.

new robot i've been working on-barnsleybot. just something i knocked together for barnsley out of 6mm hdpe and a couple gimpsons. i doubt it'll be effective but should be fun atleast . still needs a bit of work, a battery and a rx but it runs. also i need to put bike tyre on the wheels and add more weight over the wheels.

the wheels are 170mm

Mine is a 4-drill-drive electric lifter! I feel left behind, drills have gone from best for the price to dodgy old tech overnight!

Register To Comment