Register To Comment
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to Lithium

Bitza needs new batteries as the old ones are dead but given that Lithium batteries are becoming more and more reasonably priced, most chargers that do enough NiMH cells also do Lithium and the 40% discount from FlightPower they may be an option.

Never used Lithium before though, so could do with some noob advise!

In terms of NiMH we would get 2 x 9.6v packs at over 3000mah, what would the equivalent be in Lithium?

Would we require the same voltage / mah?

What are the general advantages / disadvantages of Lithium?

Considering I could get the NiMH option for about £35 how big is the price gap?

Just to confirm are the cells 3.3v?

Cheers!

Thanks for the help.

I like the look of this;

http://www.flightpower.co.uk/index.php? ... cts_id=150

With the discount it's quite a good price.

lithium batteries are very good yet what puts me off them is the sensitivity and they seem to like catching fire and exploding... NIMH's FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!

also remember that with Lipo's and stuff you need special charging and safety equipment, i seem to remember last time i checked that you needed to bring a special bag to charge them in, salt in case it catches fire and other such things, however i only use Lipo in antweights so you might want to check that in the rules, even in antweights i have seen some nasty incidents with lipos so be careful. Not to put you off though, as there are many benefits as well, just take it easy :wink:

Jack

almost the same as that flightpower but better:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=16485

Depends on what you want from the Lithium packs.

But if you go for Lipo, make sure the speedo has a good low voltage cut-off. (some advice a cut-off at 80% of the capacity)

Draining them below a certain voltage that combined with our wish to charge as fast as possible can be devastating.

LiFepo4 (A123) is less prone to dangerous charge/discharge mishaps, but ain't invurnable either.

You will need a charger that can charge lipo cells along with a method of balancing them whilst charging. A lipo sack can be picked up for under a tenner on ebay. Lipo cells only explode if you mistreat them which would probably damage nimh cells anyway if treated in the same way.

I don't bother with a voltage cut off in boner (although there is one in the brushless esc). Easiest way to make sure over discharge is never a problem is to overspec the pack. A 3Ah lipo pack with 5 cells would do exactly what you are after and would discharge very little from just two drill motors.

The other important thing with lipo cells is that they have to be removable for charging purposes (it's in the rules) and they should be full enclosed as being punctured is what is likely to set them off. You need to put a fuse in line with the lipo pack as well which is just lower than the short current from the pack.

A123s will do the job happily for Bitza as well but if you are planning anything high powered in the future then you might as well jump on the lipo bandwagon.

Add me on msn xzibit206 'at' hotmail.com if you want to talk in more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver
    You will need a charger that can charge lipo cells along with a method of balancing them whilst charging. A lipo sack can be picked up for under a tenner on ebay. Lipo cells only explode if you mistreat them which would probably damage nimh cells anyway if treated in the same way.

I don't bother with a voltage cut off in boner (although there is one in the brushless esc). Easiest way to make sure over discharge is never a problem is to overspec the pack. A 3Ah lipo pack with 5 cells would do exactly what you are after and would discharge very little from just two drill motors.

The other important thing with lipo cells is that they have to be removable for charging purposes (it's in the rules) and they should be full enclosed as being punctured is what is likely to set them off. You need to put a fuse in line with the lipo pack as well which is just lower than the short current from the pack.

A123s will do the job happily for Bitza as well but if you are planning anything high powered in the future then you might as well jump on the lipo bandwagon.

Add me on msn xzibit206 'at' hotmail.com if you want to talk in more detail.
    i thought that was the same with all batteries?

Register To Comment