Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 2.4GHZ trans set would you recommend for a beginner?

That's got to be the most expensive part, but I definitely want to be going for 2.4GHZ.

I've been having a look at
    Bobblebots FAQ and they recommend these 3 in particular:

* Spektrum RC DX6i/DX7 range
    * Planet 5 2.4Ghz Set
    * Radio Link 2.4 GHz Set

The last one is the cheapest (£26!), but it has been said that it's better to buy an expensive one now that will do everything I need it to, and last, rather than having to keep buying cheap ones and rack up costs over time. Still, hundreds of quid is a bit much, as the most expensive one.

What would you recommend for the best balance of cost, reliability, and function in a 2.4GHZ, 4 channel transmitter/micro receiver? Any of those, or something else?

Ideally, the £26 model would be good enough. I can't be sure though, until I get more recommends, and it needs to have a micro receiver and have fail safe operation, of course.

I would go for the Planet 5 personally, as if you get one of those and you ask Peter Waller on the antweight forum very very nicely, he will be able to turn your reciever - in a manner reminiscent of Kurt and his Apricorns from the Pokemon games - into a combined reciever and speed controller for a very good price.

I have a DX7 but that is a bit excessive, and half the switches have fallen off since I got it, hehe...

I have the Planet 5 for my FW, and it's been very good so far. The receiver is absolutely tiny. I can't really recommend anything since I don't have any experience with the others, I just know the Planet 5 is great for me.

i've had no experience with planet 5 but i would stay away from giant cod. i've had lots of problems with it and now have upgraded to dx6i. i'd recommend buying a dx5e off team hydra (assuming they still have one left) and using one of these receivers:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=12586

my mate uses them with his dx5e and they work fine, also work fine on my dx6i

I suggest the Planet 5, has five channels and a very nice compact reciever. I bought mine at a local model shop for £50. I think it has no crystal though and only works with the reciever it came with.

2.4ghz needs no crystals. they just work with whatever receiver they're bound to

Stagfish: The DX5e will work with a lot more than the AR500 they come with, , AR6300, AR6100, etc, they all work with it.

As for a suggestion for a starter 2.4GHz set, I would suggest a Planet 5 for an antweight, because of the lightness of the receiver, but there is nothing wrong with the Radio Link set, I am using them for the K*bot Division 3 units, works fine for a long range, longer than you'll need for a robot.

i agree, incorporating a large 12g receiver into a fleaweight is hard.

I apologise to Stagfish, I misread his post as a DX5 not a planet 5, my bad :P

Register To Comment