Register To Comment
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Roaming Robots 2011 - News

Roaming Robots 2011

Finally I can release details of what 2011 has in store so you can put the dates in your diary. There's still a lot to organise and finalise, but I am confident enough to let you know now so we can look forward to it.

Spinners.
    We now have two heavyweight spinners, and two guinea pig destruct-a-bots being constructed, and will be trialled at Barnsley. If these tests go well, then we hopefully can see both Heavy and Feather weight spinners back in the arena fighting again soon, just at a reduced level!!

Arena face Lift.
    Barnsley 2011 will be the dbut event of the new face lifted Roaming Robots Battle Arena.
    Next week work begins on a new outer zone for the Barnsley event, in preparation of what€™s to come for the rest of the year.

2011 UK Tour Championships.
    The Barnsley event will also be round 1 of the 2011 UK Tour Championship. Taking over from the old €œ Winter Tour €œ of which a certain Yellow and Green robot is currently the champion.
    All events throughout 2011 will feature this championship, and be run as a league system as we have done previously, leading to a series of knock out stages at the end of the year. There has been a lot of positive feedback regarding the league system over the two years, and people haven€™t wanted it to disappear. Sign ups for the UK Tour Championship will open soon.

There are more events to add to the calendar for the tour once confirmed.

2011 Heavy Weight UK Championships. April 22 - 25th 2011.
    Everybody loves a true knockout competition, well that€™s what you€™re getting for 2011. Taking place in the Premier Plaza Event space at the O2 ( Yes O2 ), we will be holding this year€™s championships.
    We are still in final discussions with AEG about the actual show times, number of shows, number of days, however I can now reveal the dates so you can pencil in the 4 days for now.
    The event may be launched as an initial 2 days event with options to go bigger if ticket sales allow. These are the final decisions being made soon.

This event will be the dbut of the full brand new Roaming Robots Battle Arena which goes into construction straight after Barnsley, with some new features and new show format which will hopefully add to the combat experience along the way, this event is going to be the biggest since Robot wars itself.

Signups to this event will go live very soon, once the last details are finalised. Hope we can get some of our european cousins over for the event.

Stay tuned for lots more information, including competition structure, prize money, hotel provisions for teams, celebrity presenter, & possibility of it being filmed for a TV channel.

Looking forward to 2011.

John
    Roaming Robots

That's good why you wanted arena suggestions was driving me mad.

I still can't find a premiere plaza though. Is it the London piazza or the arena itself?

And before anyone else asks: Are there going to be spinners at the dome? Lol.

Would it be worth your while getting that list of email addresses of all the robot wars machines or not? Didn't Ed have those?
    Good luck. 2011 sounds great if a little stressful.

Thats great news to hear, I presume the big event at the O2 is the reason there are so few events planned (no RIAT or Portmouth or Maidstone, etc).

Also, is that date correct ? 22-25th is friday to monday, so I wasn't sure.

Unfortunately there will be no RIAT this year. :-(

Once we do the O2, depending on the success we will then decide what happens for the rest of the year.

Either plough efforts into Maidstone, Portsmouth etc, or end up only doing 3 major bigger shows a year!!! Or maybe both.
    Guildford is definate.

Other venues like Maidstone, Portsmouth, and Brentwood are provisionally booked but yet to be confirmed.

John

Finally! All those semi-cryptic Facebook status updates were driving me nuts with curiosity
    Glad to hear that there's an exciting year ahead for you, your business and us roboteers. Nice to see that there'll be a one-off UK HW Champs as well as the league system; hasn't quite felt the same the past couple of years not having a big one-off championship for the heavies, even though the league competition has its merits. But I shouldn't be complaining, not having a heavyweight :P

Whenever it's possible, I'd love to hear what sort of restrictions are going to be in place for the featherweight spinners (I'm assuming this will probably be pending the results of the Barnsley trial) as it would be good to have a chance to give spinners a bit of a run-out in order to iron out any problems before the fw champs, even on reduced power.

Tempted to make a mini-holiday out of the London event, sounds like it'll be worth being at in person. Although how I could consider it a holiday when I'm not actually working I don't know, but hey....

Anyway, all sounds promising! Best of luck for the year ahead.

So why no RIAT ? Also, about the dates, I am free for those days except the monday, if that dates correct

Unfortunately last year I had to reduce the costs to save the event, so had an idea it would be the last one. We had a good run at RIAT, but have always ever been the only attendees to be paid, and not have to pay for the space.
    Coupled with camping, etc.... its quite expensive,

Yes the dates are correct, Fri - Mon. Like I Said, we are still finalising the specifics. Could possibly be 3 shows on Sat & Sun, or 2 shows Fri,Sat & Sun.
    The meeting last week secured the venue and date, now we are planning the actual event.

John
    Roaming Robots

sounds like 2011 is the year

I've quoted your announcement on the DRG forum Jonnno.

Register To Comment