Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: student fees

A 'graduate job' ....... an excuse to give a few smart-arses something to do
    Thanks, I'll make sure to keep this in mind when I start my graduate job in September.

I dont get that bit, who's handed their job on a plate?

On gary's point of it not sounding fair if someone who gets a lower level of degree having to pay more of a loan, and those that do better paying less - My view is that it's perfectly fair. If your that desperate to get a good job (which is the whole point of getting in debt and spending another 3-5 years of your life in education) then its up to you to put that extra effort in to make sure it happens. Good things come to those who put in the time and effort to hget somewhere.

I left uni late in the second year due to having surgery - So I didnt end up graduating. But now, I have less debt (well, still 18k for 2 years) and I;ve now turned down 2 very good job offer's from work i've done outside of uni to carry on with Robo Challenge. I'm now contracted 1 day a week by another company for a good wage due to the work I've also done outside of uni.
    It seem's to me that in most case's the degree is now not really worth much. It's all about experience and how you present yourself.

That might change when the student fee's rise, as hopefully you wont get the idiot's turn up because it's easier to sign upto uni that go to work (which I knew alot of people at uni like that).

It's like EMA, i've been hoping since I left school that they would get rid of that - unfair paying some people and not others.

The fact is people aren't employed out of some sort of social charitable attitude on the count of the employer. we are employed to either save money or make money.
    Education and experience increases a persons employability, because used in the correct way that persons skill and knowledge will make the employer more money than it costs the employer to employ you.

A good Degree is a marketable asset in the workplace so the salary of a degree educated person will be higher. but the market for employment is not even, some industries are coming more into play and so more money for wages is made available. Also there is a shortage of certain skills the price for those skills goes up. for example a bricklayer may earn £18 per hour and a plumber earn £35 per hour, there skill may be of a similar level but the plumber earns more because they are in greater demand. The trick is to have the right qualifications and skills at the right time and in the right place...........................................Si mple

I started uni 2 and abit months ago and so far its been fantastic!!

i agree with some of the points made about some courses been very easy and students having very little work to do. id just like to point out that my course Bsc Product Design (often refereed to as industrial design) is around a 40hr a week course mixing working in uni, lectures and working away from uni.

i too thought long and hard about whether or not to go to uni. but my end job 'desire' product designer the only option is uni

my course is a 4 year sandwich course and for those not aware, that menas 2 years at uni then a year in industry (hopefully paid) then a final year before graduation

tbh i dont accept the comment A 'graduate job' ....... an excuse to give a few smart-arses something to do , the idea of uni is to go there get an education that real life or a normal job could possibly offer, after that you have to fight for jobs like mad. how many stories did we hear of early this year about graduates unable to find jobs clearly its not easy .....

with ema i've always said, everyone or non at all.

when i was at college i only got £10 out of the possible £30 and in my group everyone who got the £30 were essentially scumbags who only turned up to college for the money, and completly ruined it for everyone else who wanted to go and learn something, so with ema gone, they'l just go back to selling drugs or whatever, sounds harsh but i've met some total idiots in my time who i'd normally not even give the time of day to.

as for plumbers on 35 an hour and being in high demand - at the minute anyway thats really not the case. Every plumber i've met at work says how this will be the only job they've got on and its the worst they've ever seen it- but it was that line that lead me down the path of doing plumbing at college for a year and then end up not being able to get any job what so ever. Construction at the minute is completly dead, im working as a tiler and get paid litterally peanuts because of how things are at the moment. But then thats another thing people say they are going to university to get comeout and get a better job and to get better money but a tiler who used to sub to us, before the recession was putting 47 grand a year through his books and that wouldn't have been all his earnings either so you don't have to necesserally go to uni to come out with job that will pay well.

Quote Originally Posted by calumco
    you don't have to necesserally go to uni to come out with job that will pay well.
    True point. For anyone reading this thread who's contemplating uni v no uni, just because you don't/didn't go to uni doesn't mean you can't end up in a well-paid job. Some of the wealthiest and most successful people around never had an extended education. In fact a lot of them say they left school at 16. Okay, so some of them found a gap in the market needing filled and saw very quick success but the others built up large organisations from small foundations. Anything is possible.

Register To Comment