Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: student fees

I realise this topic may be close to a number of people on this forum so it seems right to discuss . Was the government right to raise fees to 6000 and possibly up to 9000 in England? What are your thoughts on the protests in London and elsewhere?

I didnt go to uni nor am i going to, but the thing thats annoyed me the most, and i think most others is that one of the main reasons so many people/students voted for him is because he said if he got elected he would abolish student fees so its like how scotland has it. and now hes basically gone back on what he said and its just stupid if he ever goes on one of his random 'try to look good in the public eye' trips to a uni or something- well good luck to him.

From what little faith i had in the government before well theres pretty much non left anymore, i've still never voted and i don't think i ever will because non of them live in the real world

Roboteer

didnt tak the goverment too long to go back on there promises ........
    Should have stuck with labour at least they were on the right track .....
    now we have to go back to the thatcher days .....
    Pickets and strike on there way ...... good old conservatives ....
    ALL THE BEST TEAM TILLY

Now this I can contribute to a bit more effectively than my Wikileaks discussion contribution :P

First thing I want to say is that I've always been happy to be a student and part of a collective group when 'students' are mentioned overall. But watching the scenes unfold over the past week or so in London and elsewhere made me feel ashamed and embarrassed to ever have been associated with the student community. There is nothing wrong with a strong but PEACEFUL protest but there is absolutely no reason for the mindless destruction that has gone on. It's been widely reported now that several people involved aren't actually students and are just joining in for the sake of rampaging through the streets. Credit where credit is due though, many students were there to protest peacefully and several students interviewed said they condemned the behaviour of the 'mob'.

On to the actual details; momentarily taking out of the equation the fact that Nick Clegg reneged on his manifesto 'promise', it's difficult to say if the government decision is the correct one. On one hand, universities all across the country are suffering budget cuts due to the financial situation and if funding declines, generally so do the standards. On the other hand, raising the max cap on fees will allow the universities to charge more and therefore get more money into their institution, somewhat bridging the financial gap that is going to appear, if it hasn't already. Personally, I don't think it's fair that the students have to foot the bill for this one (except the bill for repairing all the protest damage) but realistically for the situation that the country is in, the government decision could be the most logical at this time.

I don't know if I feel less passionate about this issue because I'm Scottish and therefore had my fees paid for me but I don't understand the hatred towards Nick Clegg at the level it has been. He's a politician, and a politician's job is to make fanciful claims during the election run-up and then not fulfil them when in power. I can understand some dislike/hatred directed at him but, to be honest, are you surprised by his decision?

The Scottish National Party were voted into power (albeit a minority) up here in 2007, partly due to large support from students based on several pledges they made. If I counted on my hands every manifesto pledge they've either ditched or reneged on, I'd run out of fingers pretty quickly, but despite that there has not been anywhere near the same level of raw anger directed towards them as there has to Clegg over this one decision. I'm not condoning his choice to backtrack on his promise though; I voted Lib Dem in May because I didn't want the Tories in, Gordon Brown didn't fill me with confidence (Ed Miliband does though) and Nick Clegg talked a good game and I have to admit I'm disappointed both by the Lib Dems agreeing a coalition and Clegg's recent actions, but hey, you have to live with your choices. Roll on 2014/15

My 2p, for what it's worth

in my opinion the policing has been wrong theshould use a no nonsense policy and fight back against the skin head opportunist thugs causing the trouble.

I have always had a very strong alignment with the tories financial policies, the idea of a smaller cost effective state with low taxation has been very attractive to me. As time has gone by and with some life experience I found myself buying into labours social policies in a big way. The assistance given to families with disabilities, the sure start programmes for underpriveliged children, the widespread upgrading and rebuilding of our schools and the increased provisions for children with special educational needs are all issues which I can say Labour have done well with and i would happily pay more tax to keep going. The problem was always they spent too much money doing it with way too much beurocracy.

I always saw the lib dems as taking the middle ground between the two and was actually cautiously optimistic when they went into coalition with the tories. I would not have expected the tories to do anything but what they are doing. It is what they stand for and it is what you sign up to when you vote for them. I was kind of hoping that the lib dems would be a moderating influence on them. Looking at the numbers the simple fact is that had all the lib dems said no then the government would not have won this vote.

What really irritates me is not the fact that the policy will be implemented (supposing that the lords don't make any ammendments and if they do then all the other potential votes go the governments way) it is the denial of breaking a pledge which was clearly made. I just feel that if you find yourself in a position where you've got to make a difficult decision you should say so. You should not do a cable and deny that you broke your intial pledge, you should not try and manipulate things by trying to negotiate that all the lib dems will abstain in the knowledge that the vote will be won anyway by you doing that, thus making it look better and allowing you to say you didn't vote for it, you should not tell everyone two days before the vote about the concessions for 'the poorest' families. You should stand up and be a man and say 'i know this is unpopular but we've got to do it'.

The main problem i see is the arse covering which is going on. The trying to score political points and to save face. In a recession we need strong leadership. Thatcher was strong. Thatcher destroyed various industries and ruined many peoples lives but at least there was a direction allowing businesses to plan even for the worst. She said very clearly she would sell the country down the swanny and that's just what she did.

The fees issue has simply shown me that the current government is weak. The lib dems are eeven weaker and are utterly spineless against its senior party. Ther are no real clearly defined policies about to be delivered, as a result there will be no clearly defined direction which means there will be no ability for businesses to try and predict what is likely to happen so they will not be able to plan properly.

Put simply, sod the students. The weakness and ineptitude the government has shown in dealing with this issue highlights far more problems for everyone and should be seen as a tolling bell for the rest of us. I will be very surprised if we are clearly out of this recession by the time the next election comes around.

Roboteer

Love her or loath her at least Maggie had balls unlike any of the modern lot.
    Team Toon:
    Heavyweight UK Champion 2015
    Robot Wars World Annihilator Champion 2015
    Heavyweight Tag Team Champion 2012
    Featherweight UK Champion 2010
    Featherweight Annihilator Champion 2009,2011 & 2014
    Rebel Robots Champion 2009
    Pika Annihilator Champion (Belgium) 2012
    Tanja Trophy Winner 2010
    Team Champions ( Team Barbie) 2011

Obviously the new fees won't affect me, (Scotland in my final year) but I believe that the U-turn by the lib dems will relegate the party to the fringes once again. I think Nick Clegg has seriously underestimated just how much distrust this will create towards politicians in general, not just his own party. The student vote will be lost but I can also see many other voters wondering if they should bother voting for the lib dems.

With regard to the actual fees, sure students won't start paying it off until they earn 21K but then the whole point of going to uni is to to come out with better qualifications, get a better job and hopefully start off earning a decent wage. It's a complete and utter farse especially considering that other parts of the UK, Europe and the World manage to get by without charging extortionate fees.

O and I couldn't help but laugh at the surprise of the police, PM and royals when the demonstrations got violent, perhaps they should have looked back at previous marches when unpopular laws policies were passed

With fees the first question to ask is,
    What type of society do I want?
    You can go for the American way of paying for it all. the richer you are the better the education gets.
    I always remember the line in one of the Jurassic Park films. Be careful this suit cost more than your education

Or do we want a system were the money your family had doesn't matter so much. but this means others would have to pick up the tab for the privilege of those going to university.
    the argument for this point of view is the number of graduates help enrich the whole community including those who provided for the university place. e.g. you go to the doctors who were trained in the UK at university.

Register To Comment