Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wikileaks - transparency or secrecy?

Lets get some topical discussions on the go. Is Wikileaks right to release the information it has done and what do you think of the recent arrest and charges made against Julian Assange in Sweden?

I had no idea such a thing had happened since our news these days is wholly dominated by the much more pressing issue of our country being unable to cope with something called snowfall *end sarcasm*
    A phenomenon that is regularly associated with this season/time of year and one that we have quite regularly endured in years gone by yet one which we seem entirely unable to deal with every time it rolls around! *end rant*

Okay, topical discussion. Err...ummm...
    Alright Gary, how's it going?

Lol well I can see this thread dying a quick death. I don't even know why I bother sometimes.....trying to bring some meaningful discussions in here.......might as well start another randomness thread.......*grumbles incoherently*

Sorry Gary been busy

I think the idea of Wikileaks is on the whole a good idea, it is about time the general public found out the twisted world that our governments inhabit. there is a lot of bad things happening and about to happen, so hold on to your hats guys it is going to get very bumpy!!!

I think exposing security flaws is good, but I'm not too happy with the possibility of lives at risk by Wikileaks' behaviour.

The main problem I have with the wikileaks causes deaths argument is that there is no way to quantify it. It's a wishy washy argument that loses all credibility in my eyes when you consider how many deaths have been caused by the lies involving weapons of mass destruction etc.

I think I see Wikileaks in very much the same way as i do greenpeace. I quite like Greenpeaces objectives, i just disagree with a lot of the direct action which in the main is unlawful so i find it very difficult to give them any financial support.

Wikileaks has obviously published some sensetive documents which to be honest i am quite ambivelant about what i have heard so far. It's a bit embarassing in general but not earth shattering stuff. A revelation that Prince Andrew is a bit of a loud mouth stuck up pratt or that the yanks don't like us was not really the biggest shock I have had recently.................in fact i was a bit more shocked last time my toaster popped up

BUT I do think that the mentality of yesterdays attacks on mastercard and paypal etc by hackers seeking revenge for the withdrawal of services is not something i can really condone. It's just stinks of an organisation that will persue its objectives in anyway possible and is prepared to use its technical expertise to cause serious disruption to anyone and everyone to persue its aims.

I also think that people should be held to account for their actions and answer whatever charge is made against them. There is an alegation of rape against the man in charge. It was raised before these things were published and may or may not be justified. I think that trying to portray that this charge has simply been made because of the leaks is at best disenginious. Are we really to believe that justice in Sweden (not a third world country with the death sentence) is so bad that it can be manipulated in the full glare of the worlds media? Such a plot would have been ambitious even for Bush who would have been stupid enough to condone it.

Andy

(Swaps thinking head for beer drinking head)

It's just stinks of an organisation that will persue its objectives in anyway possible and is prepared to use its technical expertise to cause serious disruption to anyone and everyone to persue its aims.

I'm sorry,
    I thought for a moment you were talking about the American Secret Service

The attacks on various websites, as far as I've been able to gather, haven't come from the wikileaks organisation but rather from another organisation called anonymous which are sympathetic to the wikileaks cause. Although trying to get concrete info rather than opinion can be quite tricky in these situations

Register To Comment