Register To Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 14th & 15th May 2011 - Robots Live - Burgess Hill

blimey dave £200 ! is that just for a few bits for an ant weight arena ?
    just bought some 6mm of ebay for my a123 battery boxes and its well cheap.

Yeah it was, it was 4, 1000 x 500mm panels and 1, 1008 x 1000mm panel for the roof. I can use 6mm if nessesary if you've got some I can buy at a reasonable price Pete

thats quite a bit, cheapest i can see its about £165 but thats for a 1000x1000 not 1008 top the next step up was 1000x1250 or 1000x1500 but thats putting another£26 on the cost. maybe pete can source it 4 u.

here is loads of 4mm and a good price, not much over £100 !

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/sheet-plastics/m ... m270.l1313

blimey its only £1.50 each extra item on postage aswell !

I think Clive may be able to sort me out with some, it was only 1008 because I planned to have 2 4mm sheets overlapping, to be sure I had a 100mm clearance around the arena, but I can adjust that

did you see the prices on the ebay link ?

Hi all,

I'm assuming this is the event discussion thread....

Never attended an event before and our robot is nearing completion. Seems likely that this is the first event that we will attend, so here are some noobie questions!

- Flagship event eh? Would it be a good idea to attend as our first?

- It's run over the weekend, is it possible to just attend one of the days? If so which day? (Making a FW)

- Aside from filling in the sign up form and turning up is there anything else we need do?

- And any other general first event advice!

Thanks,

PJ

I still remember my first event like it was yesterday. Seemed like there was soooo much stuff to get ready for it - and so many things that could go wrong - whereas now it's all just second-nature.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-27
    here are some noobie questions!

- Flagship event eh? Would it be a good idea to attend as our first?
    Yeah, the bigger the better

- It's run over the weekend, is it possible to just attend one of the days? If so which day? (Making a FW)
    Usually there are no problems attending just one day, and it doesn't tend to matter which day that is. The featherweights have several whiteboard events (read: free-for-alls) throughout the weekend and you can just pick and choose which ones you want to enter. It may also be possible to test your robot in the arena in between shows to make sure it works before putting it into a fight. Whiteboards aren't full combat battles (i.e. no spinners) but there is a high probability that you will sustain some damage when several 13.6kg lumps of metal are hurtling into each other.
    The only disadvantage to attending one day is that if there is a mini featherweight competition being held, you may miss out on the necessary battles to be in contention for the title.

- Aside from filling in the sign up form and turning up is there anything else we need do?
    That's pretty much all there is to registering for the event. Just make sure to pack everything you need - I find a checklist is good for this, so long as you don't forget to put anything on the checklist! Also it can be a good idea to have a small supply of juice and snacks handy; some venues can be expensive for snacks if you get peckish throughout the day. Oh, and if your robot is ready, try and get the tech check done early on. The sooner you get it done, the sooner you can just relax and get ready for your first fight. It also means that if there is a problem with your robot in tech check, you have more time to remedy the problem and get it re-checked.

- And any other general first event advice!
    Just have a hell of a good time! I used to get quite stressed, especially when trying to make repairs or work out why something had gone wrong, but it's important to keep it in check and not let it spoil your enjoyment of the event.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the comprehensive response!

I think for a first event we aren't to fussed about competition, we just wanna try the bot out and bash some other robots, see what it can do! Pick others brains and try to keep the robot working!

As for check list er... soldering iron and lots of tape.....

Register To Comment