Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starter/Beginner Robot

Looking for some advise/direction at getting into the world of fighting robotics.

Since first seeing robot wars as a kid I have wanted to get in to it all myself and now finally have the ability/time to take something on. I have a fairly decent theoretical understanding of how it all works from school/university but as i'm sure you'll agree theory and in practise and 2 completely different things.

Was wondering if you knew of/had any robots out there for sale that I could have a practise with and eventually begin to enter into some competitions. Nothing too expensive as I don't want to ruin anything or throw money away needlessly if I make a mess of it, but something that preferably works that I would be able to experiment on.

That may sound a bit vague, but hopefully you know what i'm on about.

what weight class are you looking for?

No specific weight class really, just something to start off with and preferably not something too complicated for me, at the moment, to get my head round. Any suggestions would of course be welcome.

I have never been to any of the events before, only ever watched robot wars on the tv so heavy's are the only real battles ive ever seen and therefore originally inspired me. Camera-phone videos from youtube of other weight classes don't give quite the same effect as the full tv experience although I am very open to suggestion/persuasion.

viewtopic.php?f=166&t=3578

That's about the cheapest you will find a decent running featherweight for

I assumed that one had been sold? Also, having some sort of weaponry on the robot would be advantageous, just so I can see it working, as seeing it in practice I think would help me, although it is a definite option if it is still going.

a good place to start is antweights, my first antweight cost me about £40!

get yourself along to an event and see machines there. Stand beside the pit and ask questions. People may be busy if they have a battle coming up etc but if they are free anyone will be happy to show the full workings of their bot and explain all the different bits and pieces that go together to make one.

I can understand where you are coming from as I like to see things in person to work out how they work (that's why i hate uni as everything is paper based) but instead of just buying a machine get to an event. Chances are there will be one nearby.

Sounds like a good idea, Gary. Hopefully there are events in Glasgow at some point? Though I think I would like to have something to go home to after talking to guys at the shows and try it for myself. Otherwise I think I would go mad from wanting to giving it a go myself. Really, I'm definitely going to get into it, but just want to get a wee starter bot to begin with.

Jonny, Antweights are definitely an option, though I haven't seen much of them. For £40 you cant really lose a lot on it. How did you go about making one so cheap?

Possibly it would be easier to see how it everything works in a larger bot though? Was hoping there would be some retired bots out there I would be able to get hold of for not a massive amount of money. Do you reckon that would do or would it be out dated?

Thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated, as is your continued advice.

O jeez, you're up in Glasgow? Fantastic! Where abouts? You at university?

Sadly there aren't many events ever held up in Scotland due to the main roboteering community being down in England. It does usually mean a good few hundred miles to a comp and back (last one took me 1001 miles ) however if you are up this way then I can show you my own machines and speak through things in person.

Register To Comment