Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AW Rules

Hiya, welcome to this sport of ours

The antweights, by and large, tend to operate seperately from the rest of the FRA - http://www.robotwars101.org/ is the main site with an active forum where ant builders congregate, and the current incarnation of the ant rules can be found at http://www.antweight.co.uk/rules.htm .

Hope that helps

Failsafes may seem silly but something like an antweight spinner could probably see of to that thumb you've been saving for your entire life. They aren't complicated or difficult to meet so it is just easier to abide by them!

Hiya, and welcome to this wonderful hobby

Antweights don't reqire failsafes on the drive, since they are nice and light, but do require one for the weapon, because ant weapons are generally made of metal, and can do you an injury if they go spaz.

For more info on Antweights, the forum Joey linked to is the best place to get advice on the subject.

As for events in Yorkshire, there have been and will be in the future, ants are welcome at Roaming Robots and Robot's Live events (dunno about Robochallenge, never thought to ask :P), there may well be an AWS coming up next year in Yorkshire...

I've never had any real issues with travelling down from Yorkshire to events, it does mean a few early mornings and a lot of train tickets but you can get to just about anywhere that hosts events from Wakefield Westgate station in my experience.

(I am also rather insane)

No problem David

R/C toys might not have a facility to change crystal, given that they're produced very cheaply using pretty much the minimum parts needed to get them working. You'd be better off investing in some proper R/C equipment really, that's the sad truth :P it needn't cost much, I got my first set of 40mhz gear for £50 and it's served me well and you can get 2.4ghz sets for under that price now.

Also an on/off button on a transmitter doesn't really count as a failsafe, the entire point of a failsafe is that it shuts the weapon down when signal is lost/the robot goes out of range, so that idea is a non-starter I'm afraid. The vast majority of speed controllers available for antweights at the moment do failsafe though, along with some of the more spohisticated R/C systems, so separate failsafes aren't likely to be an issue.

Most good antweights (and a few really bad ones too) use either 7.4v or 11.1v lithium polymer batteries, they can be bought from most R/C model shops. The supplier I usually use is Micron Radio Control as they've always been really good with service and delivery...Lipos do require special charging gear and can be dangerous though, if you're looking for something safer and less complex you can get 4.8v and 6v NiMh packs from Technobots, or in a pinch run the robot from a PPV 9V battery.

Quote Originally Posted by joeychevron
    No problem David

R/C toys might not have a facility to change crystal, given that they're produced very cheaply using pretty much the minimum parts needed to get them working. You'd be better off investing in some proper R/C equipment really, that's the sad truth :P
    and yet spall managed to survive

Aparently it is possible to change the frequency of rc toys if they're close enough
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Modd...ior-Fernlenkf/

Register To Comment