Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AW Rules

Spall did have a frequency change of sorts, I suspect that's what the extra switch on the controller is for. (in any case, it was infrared :P)

Quote Originally Posted by sabotageDave
    ...what about speed controllers? are they necessary and what exactly do they do? Is there anything I've missed...

...how does the signal from a receiver translate into motors moving? Do they have connections straight to motors or is there a step in between?
    ...you answer your own question there virtually :P The speed controller is what goes between the reciever and the motors to get the motors moving, and it's also what batteries generally plug into - most speed controllers can power the reciever from a regulated supply from the battery.

An absolutely brilliant guide by Andy Hibberd (five time AWS champion including three consecutive wins...grr...lucky fecker...:P) to wiring antweights with diagrams can be found here: http://www.robotwars101.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1399 and illustrates how on a budget you can also use modified servos to get a robot going.

You would be allowed to use the drive and other bits from R/C tanks; it's just the radio gear that's suspect (and often the control circuitry is part of that so needs to be replaced too). Recievers needn't run straight off 9V batteries as you can run them through regulators (either on the speed controller board or standalone ones) so they only get 5V and don't fry themselves, so you can use pretty much any sub-10g reciever that's compatible with your chosen transmitter.

Right, I'm learning, the questions are getting more focused

I have a couple of examples but have no idea if they're compatible:
    Speed controller:
    http://www.technobotsonline.com/saberto ... oller.html
    Receiver: http://www.technobotsonline.com/futaba- ... -4-ch.html

I'd guess they are compatible, I have a feeling I'm going to be asking questions every step of the way here...

I also am having trouble finding a transmitter with a skid steer layout, All the online shops I find only have Forward-Back, Side to side controls or the wrong frequency.

That guide is very useful btw :wink:

tia

I know its unavailable ATM, but http://www.technobotsonline.com/saberto ... 30698.html is the same as you linked to, but it has the RC wires already attched, so no mucking about doing it yourself.

The RX and sabretooth are compatible, in fact I use both in my drive-all-day ant, Bulletproof.

As for skid steer, not quite sure what you mean, what do you want the robot to drive like?

I think he means tank steering but the sabertooth has inbuilt mixing to put drive on one stick leaving yourother hand free to control your weapon.

Nope, you aren't you're being reasonable in fact.

You can get batteries and servoes, as well as radio gear, from Micron Radio Control who are based in Malton, but most people tend to buy online - delivery from places like Technobots and Robot Bits (both of which sell motors, speed controllers, and wheels among other things) and MUTR (polycarbonate and other plastic/metal sheet for armour - check under Modern Materials) as well as eBay sellers tends to be quite timely and affordable.

For a first robot I'd reccommend getting the Sabertooth 2x5A for R/C speed controller as it comes with a nice sheet explaining how to wire things up and what the switch settings do, and with that and some radio gear you should be pretty much set - there will hopefully be at least one Antweight World Series 'oop north' as they say around here in the first half of next year, either in Hull or Pontefract, but in the meantime you're welcome to take whatever robot you end up with to the Preston Roaming Robots event in February (?) 2011 and have a go with it there, I'll be in attendance with a couple of other ant builders and hopefully Jonno should have his bespoke arena ready for us to fight in then.

Quote Originally Posted by joeychevron
    Nope, you aren't you're being reasonable in fact.

You can get batteries and servoes, as well as radio gear, from Micron Radio Control who are based in Malton, but most people tend to buy online - delivery from places like
    Technobots and Robot Bits (both of which sell motors, speed controllers, and wheels among other things) and MUTR (polycarbonate and other plastic/metal sheet for armour - check under Modern Materials) as well as eBay sellers tends to be quite timely and affordable.

For a first robot I'd reccommend getting the Sabertooth 2x5A for R/C speed controller as it comes with a nice sheet explaining how to wire things up and what the switch settings do, and with that and some radio gear you should be pretty much set - there will hopefully be at least one Antweight World Series 'oop north' as they say around here in the first half of next year, either in Hull or Pontefract, but in the meantime you're welcome to take whatever robot you end up with to the Preston Roaming Robots event in February (?) 2011 and have a go with it there, I'll be in attendance with a couple of other ant builders and hopefully Jonno should have his bespoke arena ready for us to fight in then.

Good good

Aye I've been looking around Technobots a bit, seems quite thorough, apart from their transmitter section!
    There's some places local to me where I can get metals / plastics if I ever need them in the future, so that's not a worry.

Yeah, I've just contacted them about that receiver, asking when it's back in stock, also that guide you mentioned is in the 'downloads' tab in the product info.

I'll definitely get it ready for next year then, and hope it doesn't get broken :shock:

Register To Comment