Register To Comment

Thread: Aftershock 2

Well Aftershock has been around for a while now and the chassis is pretty well ruined after 3 years of service.

So its time for a new one and this time we've gone for a completely new design but using most of the same parts as before hence Aftershock 2.

The new one is much more compact than before, this has allowed for armour which is 3 times thicker than the old one as well as the addition of a much needed buffer tank to improve the flipper.

So here are the stats for Aftershock 2

Weight: Weighed it yesterday- came in at 12.5kg
    Length: 40cm
    Width: 42cm
    Height: 16cm
    Drive: 2x 18v drills running 75mm blue wheels
    Speedo: Scorpion XL
    Batteries: 24v Ni-Mh, 1600mAh
    Rx: BR6000
    Armour: 14mm HDPE with 8mm Aluminium flipper arm
    Weapon: Full pressure flipper with 32mm bore 60mm stroke ram with 9oz paintball bottle buffer tank

Photos can be found here http://s881.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... shock%202/

And finally heres a video

That was with very little gas left in the bottle, the buffer seems to have made a fair bit of difference to the flipper power. Still got a couple of things to sort out- but should definately be ready in time for the UK Champs

looks great Will

liking the new look and the socks in that video

Yeah it does look good indeed. Hopefully the buffer tank will help take you that step further this year (unless of course you're in the final with me, in which case I hope it springs a leak )

The design/shape reminds me a little of Satan's Mutt, minus the disc on the back of course. What are you using for the base - HDPE? If so, what thickness does it have to be to cope with the ram forces? Just curious as having not worked with pneumatic featherweights I don't know what's sufficient for these things.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Jamie: Yep the base is just a single piece of 10mm HDPE. I used the same setup with Whirlwind and that seems to stand up pretty well considering that it is over 4 times more powerful than Aftershock.

We have tried a new method of building for Aftershock 2 with this chassis being mostly HDPE with some steel in certain areas where strength is needed. This seems to be more than strong enough for Aftershock at the moment but the real test will be at the Champs.

Register To Comment