Register To Comment

Thread: Electric scooter conversion

Not exactly a robot but I've recently completed an electric scooter conversion/rebuild. Essentially I started off with a broken one of these off ebay:

It's a small children's scooter with a 24v 100W motor and 4200mAh of lead acid batteries. Designed for maximum 10mph (presumably if you weigh as much as a small child)

After a few modifications it looks like:

I've
    - Replaced drive motor with a hefty Litton (a motor rated '800 watts at 40 amps for 10 mins')
    - Rewelded rear shaft assembly to fit larger wheel
    - Drive changed to 5mm HTD timing pulley/belt
    - Batteries changed to 22.2v 15600mAh Li-Po
    - Controller changed to 4QD Uni 8 (with regenerative braking and acceleration ramping - which you need!)
    - Plus a few other minor things

Theoretical top speed now 17mph with slightly insane acceleration, video coming soon
    (yes the motor looks silly sticking out the side)

Added a belt tensioner after the belt jumped during high acceleration and also increased speed control ramping time to six seconds (from standstill) so I don't fall off the thing straight away.

Also now balance charges nicely without taking it apart.

Still no test videos as have only been trying it in the garden/front drive - not enough space!

hey, instead of using the pully youve used as a tensioner, might have been better using a few needle roller bearings on a bolt, dunno whether using that pully might wear down the back of your belt over time

Quite possibly, didn't have any bearings of the right size, consider it a bodge job =)

I'm afraid not, kept on forgetting to get one during the three months it was operational, I remember being far too busy having fun riding it (and nearly killing friends when they tried it without knowing how to use the twist grip accelerator..).
    It's been in bits in the workshop waiting for an aluminium frame re-build for the last two years, I might get around to doing that by Christmas if I'm lucky!

Register To Comment