Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mantis mk. 3

After a failure of the hydraulic pump back in 2008 Mantis was put aside to be repaired on a later date. Now Mantis wil return to the arena in Fairford. It has lost some weight in batteries and gained some in armour, but if our scale is correct we should still be under the 100kg mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRkfntMy3to

We'll do a fresh paintjob if we have the time for it.

that looks great...

have you used the same model of pump or a better one? any idea of tip force or max weight lift?

Quote Originally Posted by psycho_fling
    that looks great...

have you used the same model of pump or a better one? any idea of tip force or max weight lift?
    The pump is exchanged for a Vivoil Vivolo pump with a stock hydraulic valve block. I have no idea of tip force but it won't be much. It only needs to clamp and lift, it is not a crusher like Tiberious or Kan-Opener. It can lift 100kg with ease.

It's ready to go. Rick has put the finishing touches on it last night. Click on the thumbnail for the full photo album.

It looks great guys
    I'm liking the LED eyes as well

Is that a couple of Speed 900s I see? For driving the pump I'm assuming?

Best of luck this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by k_c_r
    It looks great guys
    I'm liking the LED eyes as well

Is that a couple of Speed 900s I see? For driving the pump I'm assuming?

Best of luck this weekend

The new pump is driven by 3 Speed 900's on 24V, consuming 90 amps together when the pressure relief opens up.

The gearratio 4-1 gives 3500 rpm at 24 amp draw, meaning a flow of 5.320 liters/minute.

What's happened with mantis now? And splinter for that matter

Mantis is in need of a serious rebuild. The lack of dependable selfrighter is murder.

Also, the hydraulics didn't pan out. We kept on having an air problem, the seals on the rams keep oil in perfectly, but allow air into the system when lowering on gravity. This leads to cavitation in the pump. Very ungood.
    And to top the problem off, the tripple speed 900/pump idea failed.

Plan for now is to rebuild the rams, a new motor for the pump and making the whole machine a tad more compact, with adding a selfrighter.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10
    Mantis is in need of a serious rebuild. The lack of dependable selfrighter is murder.

Also, the hydraulics didn't pan out. We kept on having an air problem, the seals on the rams keep oil in perfectly, but allow air into the system when lowering on gravity. This leads to cavitation in the pump. Very ungood.
    And to top the problem off, the tripple speed 900/pump idea failed.

Plan for now is to rebuild the rams, a new motor for the pump and making the whole machine a tad more compact, with adding a selfrighter.
    Do you have a self-righter idea in mind already? Should be interesting.

Register To Comment