Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full combat featherweight robot for sale

Hey guys,

After much deliberation I've decided to put Drumroll up for sale. There are a few reasons for this:

- I'm beginning to feel like I've gone as far as I can with it. With Drumroll II in the pipeline this machine would be getting relegated to whiteboards, but for someone else, it could be a great chance to compete and cause some damage in a full-combat event.
    - I'm eager to push on with Drumroll II but I'm limited in what I can do as I'm currently on the job hunt and my student loan finishes next month, so freeing up some cash to make a start on that would be good.
    - I've put a lot of money into it in the past when I should maybe have saved a bit more, and since I'm financing a volunteer trip to Peru in October, I figure it's about time I recover some of that!

What you would get would be a ready-to-run full-combat featherweight spinner robot (with exception of the radio gear, I figure most people will have their own preferred setup).

Drive includes:
    2 x 12V drill motors/gearboxes
    2 x 75mm Robo Challenge wheels with bike tread tyres screwed on
    2 x 15A Electronize speed controllers
    2 x 9.6V, 3300mAh Ni-mh battery packs (new) fitted with Deans connectors.

Weapon consists of:
    2 x Speed 900 electric motors
    1 x Victor 885 speed controllers (120A cont, 200A surge, includes PWM booster cable)
    1 x 4.2kg steel/hardox spinning drum. Connected to motors via timing belts/pulleys on a 2.4:1 ratio
    Takes power from the same set of batteries

Armour:
    Rear wedge: 4mm hardox
    Main chassis: 20mm Nylon 6 with areas of 8mm HDPE fitted for extra protection
    Top panel: 8mm HDPE
    Base panel: 3mm aluminium

It also comes fitted with an LED and a Deans-plug removable link. I'm not including battery chargers in this sale as, like with the tx/rx, people will probably have their own charging setup. Besides I still need the chargers

The robot will be fully serviced once my exams are over, will be fully running and will have a fresh lick of paint.

Due to the heavy nature of the robot, if you are interested in buying it, please ensure you can collect from the Robots Live event in Edinburgh on 19th/20th June. If you cannot attend this event, please arrange for someone who is attending to collect it on your behalf.

I have a minimum amount I am prepared to sell it for; if there are no offers made over this the robot will remain with me. While the robot has seen some action and has associated wear to show for it, the components are in very good condition. The batteries are new, the Victor controller is like-new and has never been pushed to its limits, and the drum was custom-made. Please consider these factors when making an offer.

One condition also is that I would like to keep the name (i.e. the new owner would have to choose a new name for it)

Serious offers only please. PM me an offer if you're interested and I'll let you know if it is suitable or if we need to haggle

Any questions, reply below and I'll do my best to answer them.

I think that's everything. Some pictures attached; they're old pics but closely resemble how the robot would be.

Thanks,
    Jamie

[attachment=2:3uxr8a23]dr_build (170).JPG[/attachment:3uxr8a23]
    [attachment=1:3uxr8a23]dr_build (171).JPG[/attachment:3uxr8a23]
    [attachment=0:3uxr8a23]dr_build (19.JPG[/attachment:3uxr8a23]
    Attached Images Attached Images

PM sent

Sorry, I should have put an update post here. There wasn't much interest around the time when I first made this post and I'm getting a not-too-bad wage from a five-day job this week so I'm not so desperately needing to sell it now.
    I'm also planning on holding on to it for now as a back-up for this year's UK championships (whenever they may be) as I'm not 100% sure that I'll have Drumroll II done for then.

However, just for reference, for Drumroll in full working order but without radio gear I would be looking for £550-£600.

Sorry for chopping and changing my mind, but just wondering if there is any interest in this minus a few parts. Currently, the Electronize speedos are in Carcinus along with one battery pack (the other one's duffed) and I want to hold on to the Victor for another design. So the spec list from the first post would now be:

Drive:
    2 x 12V drill motors/gearboxes
    2 x 75mm Robo Challenge wheels with bike tread tyres screwed on

Weapon:
    2 x Speed 900 electric motors
    1 x 4.2kg steel/hardox spinning drum. Connected to motors via timing belts/pulleys on a 2.4:1 ratio

Armour:
    Rear wedge: 4mm hardox
    Main chassis: 20mm Nylon 6 with areas of 8mm HDPE fitted for extra protection
    Top panel: 8mm HDPE
    Base panel: 3mm aluminium

Misc:
    Red power LED
    Deans connector removable link

This would leave you free to choose your own source of battery power (nimhs, A123s, lipos etc) and your preferred choice of speed controller. Weapon could simply be powered by a battleswitch/relay combo as a cheap alternative.

For this setup, I would be looking for £300. I'd be happy to organise some form of delivery too (at a cost obviously) if anyone decides to buy.

And I'm sticking to my guns this time
    Getting a bit fed up of it sitting about taking up space while the new design is itching to come alive.

Muchas gracias

Additional info:

The £300 price includes P&P.
    I'll be including a spare bit of stainless steel tubing (3mm wall thickness) that is the same length as the current drum that would make a good spare should a replacement drum ever have to be made.
    The current setup weight is 12.4kg. I ran the machine on two packs of 9.6V Nimhs; if you plan to do the same, the robot will probably be overweight with the addition of speed controllers, relays etc and the easiest way to lose this weight is to remove one of the Speed 900 weapon motors (alternatively lithium batteries are an option).
    Now I've had it run fine with just one motor (all the way through Rebel Robots and the '09 Champs) so the second could be used as a spare, or if purchased with just the one Speed 900 motor, it would be £275 for everything.

That is all

Payday has rolled around and I wouldn't mind a machine to have fun with at the champs. Drop me a line.

And drumroll now has a new owner

Register To Comment