Register To Comment
Page 4 of 96 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Kilobots - 1.362kg (3 lbs) Combat Robots

Like Kenny said, were not bothered about putting on events. Theres not enough robots to have our own event plus its stress and finding and paying for venues, but we can run at other EO's events if there ok with it.
    Its only going to take up 2m x 2m so we can bring it along and stick it in a corner at events. Its a weight class more for the roboteer to enjoy a bit of full combat all year round.
    I think if we take it to other EO's events it will be like when the ant arenas get taken to other EO's events there probably wont be a set time slot in the shows it will be most likely a few robots in little arena between HW or FW fights and during show breaks. The weight class just gives us a chance to build a small cheap robot that you chan fit a decent weapon and drive system in. We will have private events where its just roboteers no crowd. Were still not 100% sure on what were going to do in the future, it all depends how popular the weight class is. Cos as we start out were not going to have enough robots to put on a good long show, so we have to run along side another event, in the pits or just the private meet ups. We can record all the fights, challenges, gauntlets etc.
    Were going to eventually get lighting and stuff sorted for the arena.
    The arena is going to be able to be flat packed so we can transport it easily. Im guessing 20-30 mins assembly time

If it gets to the stage where people are actually building enough robots, I'd like to see it run as a separate event at some point. Would be good to actually have a competition and a winner, which you wouldn't get running it alongside the heavies and feathers, cos any of us involved in those too would be too busy to dedicate full time to the smaller robots. However, if its a separate run event, I'd definately be interested in building and attending, cos then I can dedicate my full time to it rather than just feel I'm building one for a few seconds worth of interest before I go back to attend my bigger robots.

I was beginning to think I was the only one that wants to see an active weapon rule made mandatory

i thought i was from 1st jan 2010? or did that not get voted in

No idea if it was but I'll be glad if it is now part of the rule book.

Quote Originally Posted by john
    i thought i was from 1st jan 2010? or did that not get voted in
    Nah it was decided that, should an active rule come in to play in any way, shape or form, it would at the sole discretion of the event organisers, and not part of the FRA ruleset as it would contradict one of the FRA's aims (promoting the sport, something that couldn't be claimed by banning a class of robot).

The only rule I'm aware of kicking in from 1st Jan 2010 was making the use of 2.4GHz compulsory for heavyweights (1st Jan 2011 for feathers).

I can understand the smaller classes not pulling in enough interest from the paying public to warrant their own events. I think you need the heavier weight classes for that (due to the louder crashes and bangs, plus its easier to see the bigger weights). Seems like they would work well at Modelworld or something as John says, or even at the likes of RL's Expo shows. But don't need to worry too much about it yet I reckon, especially as the guys say its all just for a bit of fun between roboteers at the moment.

Gonna maybe start looking into parts soon and get something together. I think HDPE could work well here seeing as it's good for armour, is lightweight and, due to the lighter loads of a 1kg robot, will be suitable for structural chassis material.

Also, just a thought:

In America the nearest weightclass equivalent is the 3lb category (or 1.36kgs). Since the featherweight and heavyweight limits have been standardised to allow international mingling without having to add/take away stuff from robots, should the same be considered for this? I know 1kg is a nice round number here compared to 1.36kg but if a new class is starting here would it be better to match up with an already exisiting limit across the pond than try to change it to standardise ourselves with the US at a later date, by which point there may be loads of machines already built to 1kg?

Just something for discussion/dissection/flaming

I'd hate it if an active weapon rule was enforced in all catagories! I'm only just finishing my heavy and then I wouldn't be allowed to fight it. On the bigger machines, some of us just don't have the engineering skills to do it. On these small ones though, everyone does, so I'm all for it being a rule.

I'd stay with the limit of 1kg. Why do we have to always match up with the yanks? lol.

Register To Comment