Register To Comment
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk to the FRA

Thanks Clive.

From the responses on this forum it is quite clear that no one gives a flying f... any more.
    Shame on you all.

Shame on everyone? Why? I wouldn't say it's a bad thing to not be overly keen to get robotic combat back on tv. I like the way things are, live events constantly going on that I can attend should I so wish to and I love the social aspect of events. The robot wars days were fun but things have changed. As far as I'm concerned for the better.

Don't misquote me, I said the post was silly. I said NOTHING about it not being a good idea to get some TV exposure.
    That post was ridiculous cos it attacked the FRA just because they didn't know about some small thing over on another forum that was aimed at the americans anyway. So what? I'm sure leads like this are ten a penny and as it's been stated, its not fair to get everyone's hopes up if it's just going to come to nothing, let alone a post that wasnt even aimed at the FRA! Sticking up for posts like this shows that we DO actually give a flying f... about what's going on.
    How we have it now is great, I enjoy the live events a lot and the fact we even have them to play in is down to people like Jonno, Roaming Robots, Robots Live, and the current FRA team, who are working hard to keep the sport in a situation where we can keep going at all. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't even HAVE something to exhibit!

Tell you what, if you guys think this is so important, how about you chase the lead up? Perhaps they could film it in your arena, with all the robots you attract to the events that you put on. Though I do see a slight problem with that myself...

Totally agree Gary. Don't get me wrong, TV exposure would be beneficial to us in terms of boosting numbers and may well be needed to stop numbers decreasing over the years, but it is not the sole solution to keeping this hobby/sport going. Looking at a couple of situations also:

> Mentorn/Five pulled the plug on televised combat due, in part, to dwindling viewing figures. It could have spent money to try and revamp the show, tried harder to draw in more viewers (more adverts etc) but no, they dropped it.

> Event organisers have taken hits in the past when events have either fallen through or audience turnout was miles away from what was predicted/hoped. Jonno's said it himself that finances for him/RR are much tougher now and he has absorbed the financial deficit personally in the past to ensure that events go ahead for our benefit. Grant and James at Robo Challenge have done a similar thing in the past *recalls 2007 Eurochamps*. In both cases, they could have chosen to leave the robot combat behind and look into other avenues of business, but no, they decided to keep at it so that we all would have somewhere safe to fight our machines. Jonno also said not too long ago that he turned down an offer of a further career course (PhD was it?) to continue leading Roaming Robots, even though the course was probably the more secure option.

Based on this, I know who I'd rather give my support to. It's not TV that's kept us going for the past seven years, it's these dedicated guys (not forgetting Robots Live, and other various event organisers over the years)

Besides, it's not like there haven't been any attempts to generate interest through TV lately. The Gadget Show have just finished filming a robot combat based episode, thanks to the Robo Challenge team. I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing the results and whether it boosts interest. If it does, then more robots are made and more people attend the real core of the hobby - those dedicated live events.

EDIT: I probably repeat some things Dave says. Serves me right for taking so long to type

There is a magazine in development which will include lots of info on how to get started in the sport which will be distributed via merchandise stands at events.
    From what I read in the minutes, this is being compiled by some members of the Governing Body. But if you'd like any additional input (comments, experience) from the membership in general on any topics, let us know. I'm sure we're all keen to natter away

Before I post what I am about to post I want to make my position clear.

I responded to Geoffs post because I thought it was a bit strong and a bit unnecessary. That doesn't mean I dislike him, it doesn't mean I am anti Team Torque and doesn't mean that I even have an opinion on the ongoing issues with Team Torque, Roaming Robots beyond 'it's nowt to do with me' and 'it's Jonno's business, Jonno's call'. I'm pointing this out purely because John (the €˜thank you for the support€™ post) and Carolines posts would seem to imply something completely different. I didn't like Geoff's post, it's as simple as that, it€™s not anything beyond expressing an opinion on that particular post.

As we've all raised the subject of whether we should be persuing TV coverage I'll put my twopenneth in.

This sport was born from Robot Wars, a hit TV series. After its popularity was established in series 1 it had heavy investment in THE TV SERIES. This meant that advertising, prime time TV slots etc etc were available as well as teams to market things. Following series seven, it was cut and the funding was cut and it was carried on by a few enthusiasts.
    In my opinion, if Robot Wars were to come back onto TV it would simply become a vicious cycle of money................no money........money...........no money........... and that€™s completely unsustainable.

In addition, who seriously believes that any TV company would not simply do their homework and then do it themselves? Do we really believe that Roaming Robots, Robots Live and Robochallenge would be involved? Do we really believe that any money would come the way of the roboteers in any sort of serious way?

Now, what I see happening at the moment is different. Jonno is running the battleratz. These make the sport much easier to access and at least establishes some form of grass roots element to the sport. The kilobots make the whole full combat thing more accessible (and a bit cheaper) and certainly more portable. It€™s the equivalent of people kicking a football around in the back garden. People like the sport, it has legs and profile is everything. Jonno apparently sold three battleratz at the weekend in Barnsley! How many events can say they€™ve bought three new people to the sport who have committed to compete? Luke loves the battleratz which is why he got one for christmas but don't think it's lost on me the benefits of kids being able to meet the teams drivers talk to them and beat them if they can.

What is happening is what is termed in business as €˜organic growth€™. What comes out of this is essentially the type of coverage where TV companies take an interest in what is already happening and work with event organisers (take Robochallenge and the gadget show for example). Surely this type of thing is better in the long term than a TV show over which none of us would have any control?

What I see is the emergence of a mature organisation (for which everyone involved can take credit) from what can only be described as a body blow which has taken almost a decade to get over. At last people are concentrating on the grass roots and doing things which in the long term will make the sport popular. I liked Robot Wars and I think heritage is important (obviously) but to go back there would destroy a lot of the hard work which has taken place since then.

That is why I thought geoffs post was wrong. Because it undermine all the input he and the members of Team Torque, Andy Kane, Kane Aston and everyone else has put into making this work over the years. And worse still at a time when we are starting to see the green shoots of some of the benefits from that hard work.

Andy

Andy couldn't be more right.

well said and nicely put

Register To Comment