Register To Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New heavy called Troublesome

hey all i've got my other feather build diary thread but thought i'd make another one in the heavy section for the heavy im gonna do.

been planning and buying parts for a heavy for a few months now, and it was going to be a front hinged flipper but then changed my mind and will be a bigger version to one of my feathers- pic below

[attachment=2:9zozkoai]30.11.2009-1.JPG[/attachment:9zozkoai]

after work today i layed out the parts i had, onto some box, the design and how im going to do everything is really in my head thou
    this is only a rough lay out but will be similar as im still waiting for the hawkers, co2 bottle, and an old bottle as a buffer --coff-- dave. as i decided everything else like the speedo etc arn't exactly massive so ill get them in the robot somewhere with no problems.

in the pic below is how the basic layout will b, that massive cylinder will be cut down to about half size eventually, and it will be mounted aiming backwards like in M2

[attachment=0:9zozkoai]BILD0019.JPG[/attachment:9zozkoai]

and heres close up of the drive, the plan is those upright bits of 25mm box would be a bit further away from the motor- but in this case magnets attract loose bits of steel lol, allowing a 10mm ali bracket to recess into the steel upright sections bolted to 15mm box with that being welded to the chassis to hold the motor and the end of the axle which is there. so thats 10mm ali and 15mm box = 25mm so bracket will sit flush with the frame-- am going to use gears with about 8:1 i think it is, - recommended by that mouldy guy which is what he did in his old heavy-
    reading that it doesn't make much sence but will hopefully b more clear when i get round to getting it done and i've put some pics on here

[attachment=1:9zozkoai]BILD0014.JPG[/attachment:9zozkoai]

im not wanting to rush it, but i'd idealy like a drivable base of the chassis to test at leicester in feb so will see
    dims are about 700mm wide and will be around 800mm long not sure about height about 400mm at most
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lookin good so far. What box section you using?

25mm steel box for all the base and motor mounting stuff

i don't no why i didn't put this in the build diarys thread and label it heavy weight build :S

Nice one mate....keep us up to date with the build

got home from work early today to find i had a few deliveries of robot parts- so thought i would lay the parts out etc but got carried away and made a start lol

this is the center section of the base

[attachment=1:c8pygk60]BILD0025.JPG[/attachment:c8pygk60]

heres that bit of frame layed on the floor with motors etc sat ontop and some boxsection roughly put next to it on the left side.

[attachment=0:c8pygk60]BILD0028.JPG[/attachment:c8pygk60]

where the batteries will go is still not decided, and i still need to buy another anyhow. worked out the ram will want cutting in half ish to go into the robot nicley, will b sorted out when i get to it, dims now will be 800 wide and 900 long, but it will be very low, to just above the gokart wheels.

might do some more tomorrow if i dont end up going out, will try to get one sides drive all hooked up and stick it on a battery or mabye spray some feathers, not sure yet

Looking at those pics, reminds me very much of the original Turbulence, maybe with a bit of M2 thrown in. On that score it should be a good robot.

bin ages since any update, got pair of gear box plates at barnsley, very kindly given to me from dave and edd, used in the old turbulence.

so hopefully the 2006 uk champ-ness might still be within them and rub off into the rest of my robot lol

drive gears are getting modded by grant so i wont have it driving for a while yet, but now i've got the plates i can get a move on with the build.

really next the only thing to slow me down is getting the ram modded but theres plenty i can do yet before i need that doing.

[attachment=1lh0nbhl]BILD0053.JPG[/attachmentlh0nbhl]

[attachment=0lh0nbhl]BILD0054.JPG[/attachmentlh0nbhl]

12 tooth gear goes on the motor shaft, and 80 tooth on the wheel, then one end of the axle is supported in the gear box plate and at the other end ill mount it into some box section.
    The axle is fixed and the drive gear will be attached to the go kart tyres hub.

also the hexagonal plate supporting the motors from behind used to be tornados sprocket carriers from series 4 so its kind of cool to say my robot will have a bit of tornado in it from all those years ago

more up dates soon

Great to see it coming along Calum.

layed out stuff on my floor just now to decide if im having motors towards the back or front and i've decided towards the back, then later once i've got it drivable to test it all out, i can then get sorting out the ram with what looks like plenty of space in the front

was gonna do some feather stuff on sunday but might get gear box plates mounted on the heavy instead to make it look like its actually comming along

[attachment=1:161j4n2i]BILD0059.JPG[/attachment:161j4n2i]

[attachment=0:161j4n2i]BILD0061.JPG[/attachment:161j4n2i]

looks very Bigger Brother esque good to see it coming along

Register To Comment