Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: motors

ha ha ha ha ha

I'd disagree about being easier, it is very possible to build a fairly competitive antweight using superglue, a Dremel cutting disc and lots of No More Nails double sided strips :P

I didn't hack my servos XD got them pre-hacked from Pete Collier's store, much easier...

That's a very twisted way of looking at it though, Tom. Although I guess there isn't too much of a difference in price, but it's an unfair quote, because you could spend thousands of pounds on a single piece style armour, use top-end motors and a super expensive radio system for an AW, when you can use drills, second hand ESC's and wood for a FW.

Money wise, they would probably end up costing around the same. I recommend (I have not yet built a robot) you op for the FW option

It's cooler, too

go for the featherweight........my latest one is only costing nearly 2K :P

But seriously, drill motors are the way to go if you are starting out.

Just thinking about it, feathers can be done for pretty cheap these days :shock:

Two drill motors: ~£20
    Two 'blue' wheels: ~£15
    2.4GHz RC gear: £40
    Potentially Tom W's low-cost speedo: £30
    Batteries from drills: no extra cost
    HDPE (as an example) for chassis/armour: £25 (guesstimate)

So that's ~£100 for the major parts. Add a bit of extra cost for fixings or wire and that's really not that expensive. And then you've got something that you can throw into a whiteboard and have some fun with. Has it ever actually been that cheap to build a FW using entirely new parts?

As for the FWs vs AWs debate, its all down to personal preference. The best way to decide, if possible, is to go to a FW event and an AW event (or one event if both classes are running) and see which one you get more excitement from watching, then opt to build for that class. I would go for featherweights because I feel their larger size enhances the joys of battle, but others would argue that you can get just as much enjoyment out of antweights. So all down to what you prefer

Register To Comment