Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Tool Drag Racers

Hey guys,

Since there are going to be a lot of these coming together over the next few months, I thought it'd be a good idea to start a thread that can serve to show off what you're creating, provide a help-ground for those of us who need inspiring or need to know the best way to modify angle grinder shafts or fit the tools to a frame, and mostly serve as a general question zone if you're stuck with your racer's design or operation, or need any clarification on rules or eligibity (hopefully, if they don't mind, James or Grant will be able to guide us with wisdom on such matters )

I'm just planning a simple 'Stock' entry so far with a belt sander and some skateboard wheels as its all I reckon I'll have time for, but the engineering mind inside of me is wanting to come up with a dual-motor angle grinder racer. Just wondering if there ar any tips for attaching wheels to angle grinder shafts? Just tapping a thread in the wheel bore that matches the grinder shaft thread? Or fitting a sprocket and having a chain reduction? (close-up pictures of drive transmissions would be very much welcomed)

Just for reference too:
    Event description: http://home.btconnect.com/priorycastor/ ... racing.htm
    Rules: http://home.btconnect.com/priorycastor/ ... grules.htm
    Plug adapters: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... 1&x=25&y=6

After initial scepticism about having to enter a drag racer to enter the tag champs, I think I'm starting to look forward to the challenge

Well this thread has been busy!

My drag racer is now pretty much complete. I'm entering the stock class with a simple £20 belt sander from B&Q. I had planned to get some skateboard chucks/wheels to attach to it to provide some stability but I've since come up with a cruder but cheaper method of fitting a couple of strips of aluminium across the width of the sander at the front and back, and fitting idler wheels to them.

[attachment=1:k5smxcro]DSCN4431.JPG[/attachment:k5smxcro]

The idler wheels are just some washers running on bolts; they help keep the machine centred on the track and running along in a straight line (theoretically - not had a chance to test it properly yet). The white insulation tape and cable tie combination is my homemade Nyloc nut method

[attachment=0:k5smxcro]DSCN4432.JPG[/attachment:k5smxcro]

Mechanically its all finished - took just a few hours to plan and make so that was nice. Still need to change the plug to the required adapter, and after that its getting themed up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, Nice idea for a thread. Heres one of mine. Ill get others up later
    Mod: (very slow)

Wow, that's mahooosive! :shock:
    Is it the full 1.8m length limit?

And I see you've finally accepted vertical is better than horizontal, considering you've mounted all your wheels vertically

lol haha

although jamie you havn't thought about your horizontally mounted idler wheels lol

While I was typing my last message I'd realised about my idler wheels, I just hoped that no-one had picked up on it

Before I drilled it

How I bolted the front sprocket to the grinder

Rear sprocket is so small it really struggles to move. Cant be bothered changing it tho

The holes are all over the place too

one of my Super Mods

posted in my build thread for 360, but thought id put it in here too

Tom- reckon it would be worth getting one of the larger grinders and putting it onto ur larger dragster?

Register To Comment