Register To Comment
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of roboting

I havent been on the forum for ages.... nothing much to read,

But I will be reading with interest of where people see things !!

John

forums dead, need something good to happen

Jonno i would look after number 1. Numer uno. Its your business and if you need to make changes and cut back in this time of resession then so be it. You will have Teambuds support and we will adapt to the changing climate. Not just you of course that goes for robots live and robo challenge. The future of our sport will remain with us roboteers attending events and entertaining crowds that come to see our machines. Guildford seemed to be an entertaining event what with Envy and Thor playing with MD, Thz chasing a tv around the arena, Iron Awe flipping itself out of the pit 3 times in 1 fight and of course the ultimate in entertainment.............Envy ootaing Iron Awe. The shows will go on and we will carry on going enjoying boys toys and getting away for the day for good company and good playtime.

Then there is the dutch event and the irish event and of course riat. All worth building a robot for alone.

There are somenew teams coming through the ranks too with new and old robots. There is an Fra meeting soon i hope and there will be discusson on what to do and where to go with the Fra.

the future looks bright

the future looks teambud

Quote Originally Posted by swanaldo
    Jonno i would look after number 1. Numer uno. Its your business and if you need to make changes and cut back in this time of resession then so be it. You will have Teambuds support and we will adapt to the changing climate. Not just you of course that goes for robots live and robo challenge. The future of our sport will remain with us roboteers attending events and entertaining crowds that come to see our machines. Guildford seemed to be an entertaining event what with Envy and Thor playing with MD, Thz chasing a tv around the arena, Iron Awe flipping itself out of the pit 3 times in 1 fight and of course the ultimate in entertainment.............Envy ootaing Iron Awe. The shows will go on and we will carry on going enjoying boys toys and getting away for the day for good company and good playtime.

Then there is the dutch event and the irish event and of course riat. All worth building a robot for alone.

There are somenew teams coming through the ranks too with new and old robots. There is an Fra meeting soon i hope and there will be discusson on what to do and where to go with the Fra.

the future looks bright

the future looks teambud
    Agree whole heartedly Swanny. It's in all our interests that the event organisers survive difficult times. It's been absolutely clear to me that revenues haven't been as good as they were last year. One comment I've made regularly over the last year is that I can stay in bed and earn no money so if it's not commercially viable something has to give to make it so.

The reality is that some things will affect roboteers and mean that we have less of the perks you were able to provide last year. If that means you save a few quid by not doing sandwiches then we'll bring our own. If that means we have events in a field rather than a nice warm sports hall we'll bring a coat. If that means we have to pay an entry fee we'll moan like hell but we'll pay it cos we know what's driving it.

Whilst I'm speaking for our team obviously I'm sure most will understand that businesses have to make a profit.

Andy

Roboteer

AMEN To them posts ...

Swanny's and Andy's....

TeamTilly
    ALL THE BEST TEAM TILLY

not that i go to hardly any events, but it wouldnt bother me if their was no prize just a homemade trophy for the winner/runners up.
    And it wouldnt bother me to pay £20 to attend a event, its a family day out for £20!
    if eo's said pay £20 to attend or we would be forced to shut, people would pay (otherwise what else would we do with our robots).
    i cant get over why middleweights arnt more popular, alot of you probably think like me i would build one if others did, most with a hw has the parts to build a mw.
    i think they would only be interesting if full combat? but then you might as well build a full combat arena for hw's?
    i got my hw crusher still not finished but tbh i have stopped building it for now as all i keep thinking is (its a pain to transport and its gonna be blimmin expensive to fix!) and all someone has to do is stick a fat peice of hardox on the top and that will be a end to that.
    featherweights are good, and even more so when its full combat, anyone can build one, but from an audiance point of view i think their boring after a while without spinners. i dont even bother watching fw videos on youtube of fw comps, wedges,spinners and flippers are all good to watch but when their all together, i find watching a flipper on flipper fight or a wedge vs wedge fight good at first but soon gets boring when its repetitive, even though its exciting for us driving, i think its boring for the audiance. (especially after they just watched a hw show)
    people wont agree with me, but listen to the audiance when spinners are fighting (compare fights with spinners involved on youtube) you can clearly here the difference, you can almost feel the tension when spinners are about to fight at an event.

hw's you always need, what i like, is to see the old robot wars machines such as thor, killerhurtz, smidsy,iron awe, bigbro as these are the robots i and other people remember, also the kids that come to watch your events probably sit at home watching rw repeats and i think its special for them to see these known robots up close.
    but i think if mw's got as good as fw's would hw's be missed as much (i dont know).

dont know why the forum is sooo dead, i spend more time on the bmw forum with my car than here, i click on here once a day to read any interesting posts, then go..
    something needs to change though i think, i wouldnt say its on a downward spiral but its certainly not as good as it was.
    havent got any answers just putting in my 2pence worth as usual

The thing with roboteering is that its an obsessive hobby. Spending all that money on something just to put it in an arena to get trashed, hell, there has to be an element of obsession there. And we'd all do it even if we had to meet in a disused car park somewhere to fight. We all have so much respect and gratitude for the event organisers that we will happily suffer some cut backs or choices in times of recession, as long as we can keep fighting! From ants to heavys, and with talk of expanding middleweights, there is a weight class level for pretty much anyone who still wants to get involved in this hobby, without age or cost restraints. So yeah, I can see the future maybe being a less glamarous place to play in, but as long as we get to play, I don't think any of us mind that one bit.
    Can't wait to get my heavyweight going. Had the dream of watching my own machine roll into battle since I was 10 years old and nothing's gunna stop me achieving it now I have all the bits.

id like to see more events like riat, good social and less stressful day then a normal event! dont know what events are around like this but im sure there is a few

Good point John

There are other Air Shows around the UK and also perhaps trade shows at The NEC, or other similar events.
    It is not for me as a Roboteer to approach these people, but if anyone reading this have contacts that could be useful, perhaps they could pass this information to EO€™s so they could investigate this further, as it may be a more secure way to fund the shows!

The Car show at the NEC would be nice.

Register To Comment