Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Project Big Robot Thingy

So, a Die Gracefully Robotics heavyweight then. Some said it couldn't be done. Some said I was mad. Most....just laughed.
    But said robot is now in production and this is where I will record whether the project is a success, or a huge failure.
    Anyway, currently just finished collecting bits and pieces. Drive will be 2 wheelchair motors, 36v of battery power, Wotty speed controller and a chassis most saw being used as a cradle at Cabrakan's first event.
    So, watch this space to see whether what will likely be the worst heavyweight in the world today will ever make it to an arena near you soon.

Well, its started. First pics are up, 2 different set-ups for the components. Not sure which layout to go for, both have advantages and disadvantages.

The first pic shows the wheels inside the chassis option. This protects the wheels, but also limits their size to being fairly tiny, and therefore making for a slower bot. It also requires more mouting work and precision, a quality that you all know I do not possess.

The second pic shows the wheels outside the chassis option. This is much simpler and easier to accomplish and also allows me to use huge wheels if I want, which will help with speed and weight. but it will mean they are unprotected.

Any thoughts?

Also, anyone have any tips on wheels? Should I get some made, or buy some ready made, or what?
    Attached Images Attached Images

would it be invertable with the tiny wheels inside?
    If you look at alot of american robots alot of them have exposed wheels. They seem to do ok.

I'd have to do some measuring, but I'm not sure whether the tiny inner wheels would be big enough for running inverted. I think I prefare the outer wheel option, as its a lot simpler. I'll just make sure its too wide for Kan Opener! lol

Are those wheels custom made Tony or can I buy them from somewhere?

Right, big lack of updates but the project is progressing smoothly. The robot is no longer running on wheelchair motors and no longer looks anything like the above pictures as I am no longer using that chassis (not in the way its pictured anyway).
    Without giving too much away, the motors and batteries are mounted (apart from some extra long bolts for the batteries cover), next job is to get the wheels on and the wotty in place, and to build it up from there.
    Providing the wheel mounting goes well (it's a little problematic) then it should be a smooth enough ride. Without drawbacks, I will be ready to debut at Wigan. With drawbacks, start of 2010 events. I am out of a job again so unfortunately I can't just throw money at it to get it finished anymore.
    Anyway, not the most interesting of updates. These things get more interesting as the project progresses obviously, so watch this space, should be something kicking around soon.

OK, first few images now its looking a bit more robot-like.

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

This is it with no armour, and the wheels arent attached properly, they are just on to give an impression of how its going to look.

Register To Comment