Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: close shaves???

Not a robotic based close shave but when soldering an electronics project, a friend decided it would be a good idea to sneak up behind me and scare me. I dropped the soldering iron and (rather stupidly) caught it by the very hot bit.

Slashed my finger open with a Stanley knife the morning before AWS29

Ripped some of my hair out when it got caught around a manic robot's wheel :P

There's probably going to be more...

i don't know about everyone else, but i would say my most common robot related injury is cutting myself on sharp edges, like on TJ2 i've got a steel plate- ground down to a VERY flat edge and after fights when its not safley covered up im always slicing my fingers on it.

also it hurts when you drive a robot into your legs because you get a bit carried away with driving it at home

had Tanto knock me over while testing in my garden twice,
    Nicad fire at folkestone ( I seemed the only one willing to get my hands in the robot while the cells were popping),
    LiPo exploxed in my hand after fighting at an AWS,
    loss of feeling in my left wedding finger at microbotics back in 02????,
    dislocated ankle from new feather i built,
    had to duck out the way of a flipped robot (HW) while testing,
    at robot wars series 6 qualifying was electricuted by a dodgey charger while trying to fit failsafes to someone elses robot, shared a room with John Lear Snr in Ireland,
    met Mike Lambert and the closest I ever came to death with a robot was when me and Jonno drove Kan Opener after a ''few'' drinks at billing in the middle of the night

shared a room with John Lear Snr in Ireland

I've done the usual, grabbed the wrong end of the soldering iron, cut myself on various sharp edges etc.
    Dropped a robot onto my fingers sharp-ended wedge first when I was trying to put it on a shelf in the YH bedroom at the UKRG 05 finals and it slipped out my grasp.
    Hacksawed into my finger when I was trying to cut off a boss on a metal bike gear while having it clamped in a pair of mole grips, which was held by my hand.
    Dremel-sawed into my finger when I was cutting plastic gears off a small model shaft.
    Drilled a nice 3mm hole in my hand when rush-fitting the self-righting hoops on Drumroll the day before the UK champs last year.

The majority of injuries were sustained before I got a workbench to work on.
    Haven't really done anything else major in a long time - I think I'm due a big screw-up soon

.got my finger jammed in a randomly spinning drill motor

.got my finger jammed in a spinning sd200

sliced my finger on a bandsaw

.sliced my finger on a Stanly knife blade

dropped a fw on my hand and broke a finger

my finger aint doing too well

you get used to that

Register To Comment