Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: close shaves???

Yes, because it just stresses what can easily happen if you dont take proper precautions.

If it helps to remind us always to take care, and offer a chance for people to see where accidents could happen and allow them to safeguard against them then I don't see why it'd be a bad thing to have such info on here.

Yes the forum is viewed by the general public, those who are interested in joining in the sport, but surely we can't keep it all perfectly painted as a lovely hobby free from people having personal differences or accidents occuring. That'd be giving them an altered perspective of things. Having discussions such as this keeps us aware of the dangers that are always involved with combat robots

EDIT: What Grant said

Near misses ? .. plenty! Though I forget most of them lol.

Probably my most scary personal encounter was when testing Rottweiler 2's weapon for the first time. It was a 12 abrasive angle grinder disc powered by a flymo engine. Back then I didnt have the tools or skills to make the necessary modifications myself so I gave the complete flymo strimmer to a local lawnmower repair place and asked them to shorten the pole and attach the disc close to the engine.

So I got it back when they'd finished and it looked the part so I bolted it to the frame of the robot and started up the engine. Revved it up to top speed and in a blink of an eye the disk came detached from the rotor, bounced off the robot frame and missed me by a few cm.

Upon closer inspection it turns out that their method of attaching the disc was simply to sandwich it between a washer and the original strimmer head. Clearly this wasnt up to the task of securing a big cutting disc as well; I'm guessing they didnt test it themselves before handing it over to me.

caught my thumb in a gearbox and crushed my nail

Burnt a thread into my hand after grabing a 20mm bolt id just welded

burnt a piece of coper wire into my thumb after it shorted across two battery terminals

set my leg on fire

set my hair on fire

had turbulence's flipper go off when i was turning the gas on

had a pneumatic pipe burst infront of my face

had a fw's flipper fire onto my forehead and nock me out (first flipper- good job it was rubbish)

stuck my hand to a cold co2 bottle

droped a heavyweight on my toe n broke it

saw my robot drive itself of a pit bench (before fw's had to have links)

not bolted metal down on the pillar drill properly and sliced my thumb open when its snaged

had coolant go in my eye

.. i could go on but ive chosen to forget about alot of them, and im ALOT more cautious now

Let mouldy in our workshop

Roboteer

stagefright.(enough said)
    Team Toon:
    Heavyweight UK Champion 2015
    Robot Wars World Annihilator Champion 2015
    Heavyweight Tag Team Champion 2012
    Featherweight UK Champion 2010
    Featherweight Annihilator Champion 2009,2011 & 2014
    Rebel Robots Champion 2009
    Pika Annihilator Champion (Belgium) 2012
    Tanja Trophy Winner 2010