Register To Comment
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: safety issues

Why dont you just limit the number of robots in the arena then?
    We have never had any problems with this, and also had 20 feathers in the arena at once (and thats a much smaller space).
    2.4ghz systems simply do not interfere with 40mhz, and if there is any way possible for that i would love to know how!
    What i can understand is if most robots are now not taking precautions such as suppression on motors etc causng extra noise in the arena's which could cause some problems, but that will be a simple fix by the EO limiting the number of robots in the arena. If all robots are stopped they wouldnt get any problems then anyway (such as arming up/disarming).
    Also, is there any evidence to say that these feathers on 40mhz dont just have other problems?

Quote Originally Posted by grant_ploughbot
    2.4ghz systems simply do not interfere with 40mhz, and if there is any way possible for that i would love to know how!
    I have seen at least 2 incidences of 40MHz robots in an arena full of spektrums and the robot has been uncontrolable or firing a weapon at random moments. And its not been 1 Isolated incident either, with 1 of those two robots I've seen it happen 3 times, twice at RR and once and RL.

I don't quite understand how the interferance is happening either, but there is evidence to prove it. For first hand testimony, talk to either Mike H-Macey or The Barbaric Response team.

I have seen at least 2 incidences of 40MHz robots in an arena full of spektrums and the robot has been uncontrolable or firing a weapon at random moments. And its not been 1 Isolated incident either, with 1 of those two robots I've seen it happen 3 times, twice at RR and once and RL.

Before 2.4ghz did you ever go to an event and not see the same? only alot more of it....

Dave, If 1 robot has had it happen 3 times, and others dont seem to have the problem its more than likely that robots problem. There is no evidence 2.4ghz is messing things up - only evidence against.
    Pauls suggestion is probably the best, get a frequency checker and see if anything shows up, but your probably wasting your money!
    Before 2.4ghz systems became so popluar, you would never get so many feathers in the arena at once, mainly due to frequency clashes, and also the featherweight catagory was not as popular as it is today. Its FAR more likley to be a suppresion problem in the arena. I know i took all supression off my astros as its less to go wrong.....

I could be wrong, but i doubt it

The other robot (Skink) had the undriveable issue on 40MHz, switched to 2.4GHz and worked fine again. I don't know if it is suppression trouble or not.

I would like to find out the causes of the 'interferance' before we go and ban a perfectly good and useable radio band

Roboteer

For some time the rules have contained the following statement:
    Digital Spread Spectrum 2.4GHz is recommended for combat robotics in all weight
    classes. Roboteers are encouraged to switch to the newer technology as and when
    they can.

Unfortunately the FRA cannot overlook the safety issues inherent with older radio technology's.

40MHz just does not work well enough and while it may be perfectly suitable for educational projects and other low risk robotics it poses a great risk when it simply will not work properly under the conditions we impose.
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

A cheap 40meg set I can understand but if I turn up with my 40meg PCM dual conversion system I won't be allowed it?

Not happy as this relegates a few sets to the shelves

Roboteer

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver
    A cheap 40meg set I can understand but if I turn up with my 40meg PCM dual conversion system I won't be allowed it?

Not happy as this relegates a few sets to the shelves
    I think if you had a PCM dual conversion system you would be advised to sell it or seek approval from event organisers first.

From experience, spektrum is waaayyy better than PCM.

PCM also has several inherent safety issues you should be aware of.
    1. Failsafes are not stored on the receiver meaning the robot can be armed with no failsafes at all.
    2. Still suffers from drop-outs as other 40MHz systems.
    3. Still requires an aerial poking out of the robot.
    4. Requires matched pairs of crystals on a seperate frequency to other users.
    5. Costs a lot of money!
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

Register To Comment