Register To Comment
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Robo Challenge Tag Team Champs & Power Tool Drag racing!

Thats the one jamie. I believe silverline may be supplying these, although thats one of the many loose ends we need to agree on and get tied up before i can say anything for sure

Seeing as i was going to build one anyway it doesnt effect me that much, Quick question do we have to enter one dragster per team or per robot? I can see why people are abit upset, especially after spending alot of time building a robot then having to build a dragster, maybe offer other incentives to build a dragster, such as no/lower entry fee. My concern is for the newer/younger teams, as they now have to start playing with very powerful tools (anybody who has had a 9inch grinder snatch on them will know what i mean) plus the fact that you're now playing with 240v does raise a few concerns. But i can understand your reasons and i'll be waiting at the start line, got a few bits lying around that could be put to good use.

im all for promoting dragsters (they look fun and cool! ) but making it a rule that we HAVE to make a dragster is a bit much...plus my dad wont let me play with angle grinders

for example:

ok, im 12 years old,iv been watching robot wars since i was a toddler! i have recently made a few robots using most of my saved up funds, and am waiting eagerly to enter a event close to me...i read that there is a spinner tournament, just like robot wars...GREAT! then i read there is a £4000 prize fund...GREAT! then i read we have to make something that i have only briefly heard of and have no understanding of whatsoever apart from they run down a wooden track and are made out of tools

i dont yet have the knowledge/time/money/facility's to build these things...you can understand i am a bit disappointed because this means i cant go i guess there will be other events but i was really looking forward to this

jack

The ruling to state that you have to enter a dragster is not something that we have come up with.
    Silverline have stated this, and they are paying for the hall for the arena to go in to do so.

1 dragster per team is perfectly fine, and I understand your points of view. Even just a belt sander with abit of wood strapped to the side to make it go in a straight line is perfectly fine. No moddification of the actual power tool is needed, no expensive equiptment is needed.

So far the winning dragster is only using very cheap angle grinders, infact almost everyone is. The more expensive hand tools are not worth buying, the cheap versions dont lack in speed and power, only quality (whiuch isnt really needed for this application )
    I believe the gadget show will also be there filming and have an entry in the drag racing

hmm....well iv got an idea in my head now of what i should be doing...just dont expect it to be really hi-tec

jack

...fine then. I assume that's a no seeing as people appear to have forgotten that I asked something :P

I'm in no way happy about this considering how much I was looking forward to it - I actually feel like I've been punched hard in the chest - but if Andy can make it I shall cobble together the world's worst drag racer to satisfy the requirements for our team and make that only for the sake of entering the part of the event I wish to enter. If my teammate can't make it then I'm not going to attend, which is extremely disheartening but I guess I'll have to plan for Reading or any other events that may crop up.

Joey, you'll have competition for the world's worst dragster

My initial plan (not sure how much this will change over summer) is to take one of these:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... elt+Sander

and bolt a couple of these to it:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... AA280_.jpg

modify the power cable with the required plug and bada-bing bada-boom, the worlds worst dragster

It'd be really good to see you and AJ at the event, so hopefully if the pair of you can make something like ^that^ you should be fine (then we'll kick your asses at tag-team :twisted: )

Register To Comment