Register To Comment
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are LiPo batteries safe for HW robots?

First off, A lipo cause a burst fire, that is hardly an explosion. These fires create a violent flame but die out very fast as well, as the the chemical fuel runs out. That being said I see no good reason to put Lipo in a heavyweight other than a weight advantage.

I think as LiFePo4 develops, the market for LiPo will steadily die out. Batteries need to become more stabile, and in the power to weight ratio LiPo wins for the moment, but that difference will decrease as production and research improves.

Leo, although your 100% right about the safety side of lipo's, i dont think the A123 or similar technology will be catching up any time soon.
    The new range's of lipos that are beginning to hit the shelves now are getting seriously good. 40C continous and 65C burst ratings! in a 6000mA pack that featherweights can easily use would mean 240A continous, and 390A burst. In a 6s (equivilent to 24v) pack, you would be able to run a good amount of heavies with a battery pack that weighs about 800g, and fit in the smallest space . If your robot cant contain a fire from a lipo for 30-40 seconds, then it shouldnt pass a tech check with one in!

Oh just forgot - check out these new Hyperion Lipos..... http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/hype...r /> <br /> 5C

Quote Originally Posted by grant_ploughbot
    Leo, although your 100% right about the safety side of lipo's, i dont think the A123 or similar technology will be catching up any time soon.
    We'll see about that.

We'll see about that.[/quote]

The point is.. Lipos with amazing spec's are already availible. Hence i use them. why wait for a123's that might not be as good in the future?

Imagine what a robot such as tiberious could do with lipos considering it currently runs on SLA's.. he would be saving about 10kg.. Thats 10% of the weight allowence of a heavyweight. The possibilities to improve upon todays current machines is huge.

Roboteer

Quote Originally Posted by mr_turbulence
    We'll see about that.
    The point is.. Lipos with amazing spec's are already availible. Hence i use them. why wait for a123's that might not be as good in the future?

Imagine what a robot such as tiberious could do with lipos considering it currently runs on SLA's.. he would be saving about 10kg.. Thats 10% of the weight allowence of a heavyweight. The possibilities to improve upon todays current machines is huge.[/quote]

Exactly god knows what he would do with an extra 10kg, Sam has caused me enough pain in the last 12 months as it is.
    Team Toon:
    Heavyweight UK Champion 2015
    Robot Wars World Annihilator Champion 2015
    Heavyweight Tag Team Champion 2012
    Featherweight UK Champion 2010
    Featherweight Annihilator Champion 2009,2011 & 2014
    Rebel Robots Champion 2009
    Pika Annihilator Champion (Belgium) 2012
    Tanja Trophy Winner 2010
    Team Champions ( Team Barbie) 2011

Quote Originally Posted by mr_turbulence
    Quote Originally Posted by leo
    We'll see about that.

Imagine what a robot such as tiberious could do with lipos considering it currently runs on SLA's.. he would be saving about 10kg.. Thats 10% of the weight allowence of a heavyweight. The possibilities to improve upon todays current machines is huge.
    Where in my posting have you seen me make a judgement on the use of LiPo's in heavies one way or the other? I am stating what I see as the future that Lipo will phase out as LiFe or similar chemical compounds will improve and give a better and more stable. Grant is of another opinion. Neither opinion has anything to do with weighclasses.

As for why wait? If you don't need the extra weight, SLA is still a lot cheaper option than LiPo or LiFe. If you do need the extra weight advantage, there is weight to be saved with A123 too, so instead of calculating how much weight you save from SLA to Lipo, calculate how much weight you save from LiFe to Lipo. That difference is a lot less shocking as you make it out to be.

Exactly Paul

Register To Comment