Register To Comment
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Crash & Burn Tournament 4

w00t, good fight Kody and sorry Leo

I'll go for the Wedge and the Monsoon to win, as for the feathers...not sure ;P

What wootiness, Kody!

The Deer's claws are perfect for my flipper to play with. Get underneath 'em and flip it all over the place. Go for the OOTA or, if things get hairy, go passive for the pitting.

I'll get Rolling Pin FTW's tactics up closer to the fight.

Excellent! That means we can begin the twelfth heat!

Heat L
    Fight 1
    Wedge Devolution (10) vs. The Deer

From Glasgow, Scotland, seeded number 10...Wedge Devolution!
    It is your basic wedge...or is it? 4th time competing, it has Hardox armour, skirts at the sides and rear, above-average drivetrain which is good, a powerful rear-hinged flipper with frontal scoop, so a good all-rounder here. Last time it had its best run of the entire competition, can it go all the way here?

C&B1: Shocked out in Round 2 when, after flipping over the house robots, Terrorhurtz managed to outlast it and beat it in a judges decision.
    C&B2: Went a step further but again got beaten in a judges decision, this time by semi-finalist Axeon 3.0.
    C&B3: (seeded 19th) Another step above its previous foothold, however this time it lost by a pitting, courtesy of Paralyzation 2.

From Kelvedon...The Deer!
    Unchanged from previous wars, an invertible box with 15mph top speed from 2 Magmotors powering 4 wheel drive, has Hardox armour and skirts at the sides and rear. Main weaponry comes from horizontal crushing arms shaped like deer antlers, curiously enough, giving out a maximum of 8 tonnes of pressure. It has no wedge protection from the front though, I'm afraid.

C&B1: Didn't compete.
    C&B2: Pitted by eventual champion Sheer Heart Attack in Round 2.
    C&B3: (seeded 28th) Damaged by DreamCatcher early on and immobilized in the first round.

Roboteers, stand by...

Let's have a look...ah! House robots! Shunt's in there, with the diamond-edged axe and bucket scoop! And repaired from the 'accident' we had earlier in the series, Sir Killalot, with the claw and lance.

ACTIVATE!

The 10th seeds are off to a quick start and why wouldn't they be? The Deer comes straight at them but they've been wedged already and tossed! Down comes The Deer and splats down inverted! Not the best start, but it's about to get a hell of a lot worse because Wedge Devolution is underneath them again, the rear skirt providing little protection as the 10th seeds get under and The Deer gets a lot of air! Steve isn't quick enough to lower the flipper, however, and as The Deer lands, it rushes forward and stops the flipper from going all the way down, ah...and now the pincers close, before the VFT6 champions can get away! But who has the more powerful drivetrain here? It is indeed the Braveheart machine, and The Deer's plan is not working at all, even when Martyn thinks it has! Wedge Devolution turns its adversary and is pushing it towards the pit release button, ooh...ah, The Deer lets go! It doesn't want to go down that pit! Unfortunately, Wedge Devolution shunts him into it anyway, and scoots off, the sides having taken little punishment from the claws there! The Deer has to make something happen here, because this has been pretty much all Wedge Devolution straight from the start! Martyn directs his machine at Wedge Devolution, but again can't seem to get anything going for it; Wedge Devolution is under those claws and under the body, and flips it over again! Before it can even turn around Wedge Devo is under it again from the rear, but thinks better of flipping it...until it gets to the wall, that is! And out goes The Deer in a spectacular flip that eliminates it from its third war! Wedge Devolution adds another OOTA to its scorecard, but finds that it's become rather bored, and decides to have a go at house robot Shunt!! What is the meaning with all of you, attacking the house robots?! Sir Killalot is immediately out of his CPZ, but Wedge Devolution has already found the side of Shunt and has flipped it! And before Shunt knows it, HE'S out of the arena too! Ref, stop this nonsense!

CEASE!!

That will do, too! Thank you!

Caught like The Deer in headlights, Mr. Forsyth's creation bids us good day and jumps the fence!
    Wedge Devolution (10) advances to Round 2!

----

Next battle: Monsoon Season vs. Next Stop, Jupiter

Yes, that's right, I'm on fiiiiyah

Fight 2
    Monsoon Season vs. Next Stop, Jupiter

From Merthyr Tydfil in Wales...Monsoon Season!
    Winner of one of our regional tournaments, this Atomic-a-like has a front 4mm Hardox ramming plate that can be used as a high-pressure flipper as well, with a 3cm HDPE shell also protecting it. LEM-drive, tracks, 15mph top speed, it's the stuff champions are made of. Or, well, this champion.

C&B2: Didn't compete.
    C&B3: (as Noo Monsoon) Pitted by Baldur Gamma in Round 1.

From Vancouver, Canada...Next Stop, Jupiter!
    Cosmic name for sure, it's inspired by another machine. A spinning rim at the rear powers the rear-hinged flipper at the front. It can run inverted, yet if need be it can self-right, and it has strong armour and drivetrain...smells a little overweight to me. And if you stop the spinner, it's weaponless.

C&B2: Didn't compete.
    C&B3: Didn't compete.

Roboteers, stand by...

Exa-Gore-Ic Evo, how do you do? Time for some more fun alongside Damocles.

ACTIVATE!

Given Daniel's simple tactics of 'ram it', that's just what Monsoon is going to do! And indeed here's a good ram into the front flipper of NSJ, who can't get away in time, and is gotten under and flipped! And what air! NSJ is thrown about 10 feet into the air! It comes down HARD into the arena-floor...rim-first!!

CRASH!!!

And Samuel didn't like that collision one bit! Look at the damage done to the arena floor, it's carved a great slice into it! We WILL fine you for that! And NSJ bounces away, but it's clear that such an impact has impaired the weaponry already! The rim is not spinning at all! And Monsoon comes in to take advantage! He gets under the flipper again and WHAM! smacks NSJ straight into the wall with enough force to nearly and neatly break the arena wall itself! However he tries for the OOTA too late and ends up flipping himself! Thus, NSJ gets away, and gets under the side of Monsoon as he's righting himself, and begins pushing him towards the pit release button! Monsoon however is able to drive off quickly, and ironically this helps him get at NSJ's side and under it for another ram! There they go to the wall again...WHAM!!! That could have broken the sound barrier, mind our poor ears, Mr. Stickler! Monsoon calculates where NSJ will bounce away to, gets back under it, and shoves it towards Exa-Gore-Ic's CPZ! WHAM! Straight into those gargantuan pincers, and now NSJ is being squeezed into ghastly submission...all while Monsoon simply continues to ram into the spinning, er...ex-spinning end of it! Here comes Damocles...Exa-Gore-Ic's spike fires but doesn't seem to hit anything...actually it is, but it's glancing off the front flipper of NSJ, but not really achieving much! Monsoon is away as the other house robot comes in and moves to hit NSJ...

CRASH!!!

But it's not enough to dislodge NSJ from Exa-Gore-Ic's grip and the hit simply sends the combined 500kg weight upwards slightly! It has, however, made a huge dent in the ring, so there's no way that's going to spin up again! And now Exa-Gore-Ic lets NSJ go...who slowly moves away from the house robots, and into the waiting plate of Monsoon Season! A scoop-up and toss later and NSJ lands on top of Exa-Gore-Ic! That was rather cheeky, Monsoon. The house robot moves out and turn around and grab NSJ for more punishment, which he succeeds in doing because NSJ is moving much too slowly to get away. So Damocles sticks around, and Monsoon backs away from the 4-way drummer in order to survive! Exa-Gore-Ic moves NSJ into the waiting drum of Damocles again...

CRASH!!!

It's the front flipper that takes a blow now, and what a hit! It forced Exa-Gore-Ic himself back too, and flung them upward a bit! He lets go of NSJ, who is moving even slower now and can't seem to get away before a jubilant Monsoon Season roars in and pulverizes NSJ against the wall nearby! WHAM!!! NSJ bounces away and simply tries to get away from it all, but Dan isn't having any of it! He scoops up NSJ again and rams it against one of the retreating Damocles' drums!

CRASH!!!

And THAT sends NSJ flying! About 5 feet into the air and 6 feet across, I think! And...NSJ is no longer mobile! I don't think I would be after all that battering, really! Would you be? But Monsoon isn't merely content with even this! Here's another scoop-up and ram across the arena from our Welsh fiend! WHAM!!! The seemingly lifeless carcass of NSJ bounces away and is definitely and completely still! Monsoon still isn't done, and rams it towards another arena wall...aha! A toss! And that's it! NSJ totally overpowered and a final farewell boot from the arena seems fitting. Next Stop: the Camera Tracks!

CEASE!

Next Stop, Jupiter? I think not, there'll be no stops on your long road home, Samuel.
    Monsoon Season advances to Round 2!

----

Next up
    Featherweight Semi-Finals, Fight 1
    Innis vs. Rolling Pin FTW

And later
    Heat L Final
    Wedge Devolution (10) vs. Monsoon Season

I'll predict Monsoon Season to OOTA Wedge after a bit of a back-and-forth fight. Think Atomic vs. M2.

Hooray for me!

ROLLING PIN F.T.W: When vertical and horizontal spinners meet, the result is never pretty. The plan here is to aim for the sides and simply bludgeon Innis to death. Don't give it a chance to recover or bring its own spinner into play. If for some reason Innis' disc is not spinning, like it needs rerevving or something and I have a clear shot, only then will I attack head-on. A few good blows ought to knock it loose and leave it useless, allowing me to continue bludgeoning away happily.

WEDGE DEVOLUTION: Monsoon Season is very similar to me, save for its tracks, and those may be its downfall. Use its lack of skirting to my advantage by attacking the sides (This should be achievable, since I think I'm technically the more manoueverable) and pushing it onto the Kill Saws. If I can keep feeding it to them often enough they should be able to cause some serious damage to the tracks. If this proves to be codswallop, focus instead on feeding it to the House Robots and/or throwing it out the arena altogether. My skirts should give its own flipper a hard time, but I'll avoid the front as much as I can regardless.

Loving the clashes thus far, Kody. Can't wait to see how badly I do. :P

Let's keep going!

Featherweight Semi-Final 1
    Innis vs. Rolling Pin FTW

Roboteers, stand by...

Regular arena, yep. Guest house robots, Anti-Virus 3.0 and Scarab, yep yep. Mercy...uh, nope nope nope.

ACTIVATE!

Once again, we go horizontal vs. vertical! With basically the same drives for both weapon and movement, the two spinners appear to go straight towards each other! At the last second Rolling Pin FTW makes a movement to the side, and Innis is a bit too slow to try and Rolling Pin's wheel, leaving Steve to attack!

CRASH!!!

Innis is flipped right over by the monumental power of Rolling Pin's full body drum and the aluminium already looks badly scarred! Innis drives off to try and recover from this but Rolling Pin is in hot pursuit! Eventually Innis has to turn around...but Rolling Pin anticipates this and moves around...but this time its control messes it up and it drives right by Innis. Trying to get his machine under control, Steve turns it around but overturns a bit, and Innis gets a direct smack on one of the wheels!

CRASH!

Oh dear!!! It looks like this battle just turned on its head! Rolling Pin's wheel has been smacked, not off, but out of place! The same hit has sent Innis flying away, and directly on top of the arena saws, which cut into Innis! BZZT! But I'm more worried about Rolling Pin FTW! It's wobbling around, completely unbalanced, the drum's gyroscopic tendencies coming to full light! Tracy directs her machine towards Rolling Pin, clearly intent on taking advantage! Steven is again trying to regain control of HIS machine, but Innis is easily able to manoeuvre around the wobbling drum of doom, and gets another direct hit in on the damaged wheel! WHAP! ...and that has to be it! NOW the wheel is off!

CRASH!

OH! And the drum hits the floor! And sends Steven's robot away...into the wall! He's not going to recover from that! Rolling Pin lamely spins around while Innis moves back in! Tracy isn't satisfied with merely amuputating her opponent's machine - she wants to make sure it stays down! Thing is, Rolling Pin is still moving...in an arc, and she can't catch it. The Watcher is over to count it out, but Innis doesn't want to wait for that! Unfortunately you're going to have to!
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10!

And there it is! Innis moves on to the Finals, and Rolling Pin FTW...to the loser go the house robots! Scarab's eggbeater whirls menacingly as the beetle bot approaches! Innis wisely retreats as Scarab moves in...

CRASH!!!

The drum takes the huge hit, and there are great tears into the drum already! Anti-Virus has opened the pit - WHAP! Ooh, Innis has found the other wheel...but is unable to tear it completely off! Both spinners - Team Alt and house robot alike - back off now as Anti-Virus - WHAM! Oh goodness me! What a slam! Rolling Pin FTW actually flies overtop of Scarab and onto its rear end! Innis is still determined for the complete wheel-ectomy, but there's not enough time, m'lady.

CEASE!

Rolling Pin FTL! The hopes of Team Braveheart are spread into a paste thin enough to butter your auntie's homemade bread with!
    Innis advances to the Featherweight Final!

----

Next battle: Wedge Devolution (10) vs. Monsoon Season

Twelfth heat final! I must be mad to keep this going! But you knew that. :P

Heat L Final
    Wedge Devolution (10) vs. Monsoon Season

Roboteers, stand by...

Let's have a look...oh! Growler's in the arena! Good dog! And across the arena from him, Sgt. Bash!

ACTIVATE!

Monsoon wants to get his opponent out...but the seeded machine isn't so keen to let this happen, easily at least! Wedge Devo races around his tracked counterpart, eager to see if he can get around the Welsh machine. This he indeed does, and penetrates the side, but Monsoon manages to get away and Wedge Devo nearly flips himself! The delay caused by this allows Daniel to get at Wedge Devo's own sides, but the same thing occurs as Wedge Devo backs off and Monsoon flips way too late, also nearly overturning himself! Wedge Devo moves back in but Monsoon turns to get the plate in and what we find is a head-to-head collision, precisely what neither of them wanted. After a little pushing by Monsoon, Dan is able to get Monsoon's flipping plate under Wedge Devo's flipping blade, but Wedge Devo backs off before any flippage can happen...but Monsoon is at its heels! Wedge Devo manages to get away as Monsoon tries to go after it, but its tracks do hinder it slightly here, as Wedge Devo's nippy four wheel drive allows it a quicker getaway! Steve McGregor returns to his original tactics, having found them work once before, and work they indeed do again! Only this time, Wedge Devo actually manages to flip Monsoon Season onto its back this time! It was nearly a 360 too, but Monsoon hit the other side and bounced off! Wedge Devo is under it again but - goodness me!! What a self-right! Monsoon Season activated its flipper and sent itself rocketing across the arena! Back on its tracks, it turns to find Wedge Devolution in its face again, but this time the 10th seed is lower! Monsoon however makes a quick back turn and Wedge Devo nearly ends up eating wall! However, its skirts help protect it against Monsoon's rough shovings, and Team Braveheart gets its nasty flipping beast out of danger. Monsoon gives chase now, but the position re-asserts itself as Wedge Devo dodges and makes for the sides again!

Daniel now tries a different approach, and as Wedge Devo circles around, Monsoon makes a spin in the other direction! This takes Steve completely off-guard, and Wedge Devo's side is exposed! Monsoon guns the motors and breaches the skirt for a second time, getting under the main body before the Wedge can retreat and tips it over! Wedge Devo immediately self-rights but Monsoon is quick enough to shove the plate in before Wedge Devo lands - oh! It's wedged on the plate! Monsoon roars towards the arena wall...and Wedge Devo fires its flipper! Monsoon also fires its own, but Wedge Devo fell off a bit, and thus Steve's machine, instead of being sent over the fence, is flung straight into it! Monsoon loses control and crashes right into the inverted 10th seed with its plate open, and it comes back down...weakly clamping it. What an odd turn of events. Wedge Devo again tries to self-right, but fails. This does dislodge it from Monsoon's clamp, and as Monsoon lowers the plate, Wedge Devo self-rights once more and gets the hell out of there! A scary moment for them there, and Dan is enraged! Monsoon is back on the attack, but Wedge Devo dodges the charge. Monsoon attempts its tricky spin again but Steve is ready and snakes in before Monsoon Season can complete its turn! Monsoon fires its flipper to try and lift itself off the plate...and does so! Wedge Devo fired the flipper and flipped itself! Had Wedge Devo not done that, they would have take Monsoon to the wall and that would have been it! But now Monsoon Season is in control! Wedge Devo self-rights, but onto the plate of Monsoon - oh dear! They bounced right off it and onto the side of the plate! Monsoon turns, but that causes Wedge Devo to fall right off the plate and onto its wheels! Monsoon pushes, but Wedge Devo backs off and Monsoon exposes its side again! Before it can recover, Wedge Devolution is under it and brings it to the arena wall! Monsoon tries its flipping trick like it did before, and is tossed into the wall rather than over it! But Wedge Devo lowers its flipper quickly, and as Monsoon tries to right itself, Wedge Devolution picks it up and a final flick...decides the match! Monsoon gone, it's over!

CEASE!

It was a rainy day in Merthyr Tydfil as Monsoon Season is washed away like dried jellyfish remains!
    Wedge Devolution (10) advances to the Series Semi-Finals!!

----
    Next time on C&B4

The final quarter beckons; 8th seeded Gehenna and challenger Lime-y ask no quarter, I can tell you.
    Two golden oldies rough each other up in the forms of The Crashing Bore 2 and M.O.R.D. 2!
    And lightweight lunacy is on the cards as well. Two diabolical spinners, Ziggo and Ground Zero, take to the arena!

EPIC.

Great job to both Kody and Dan. Helluva tight fight, that one.

Register To Comment