Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St Hammer

The big wheels seemed to work OK on St Hammer,
    I think i will have to make the hubcap extension a little bigger,
    But the main point of concern (apart from my driving into the pit at every opportunity) is to replace the top plate, this is the 500mm*400mm*3mm ARM (Hardox) Steel plate the sword bolts to, as this is now splitting!!!
    I think because the grip from the wheels is even better than before, more energy is being transmitted to the weapon. the cracks on this plate are much worse than I thought at Barnsley if i keep using the plate the sword will fall off!
    so I will replace it with 4mm Hardox or similar and hope that holds up to the punishment. If not there is always 5mm Hardox!!!
    I think because the grip from the wheels is even better than before, so more energy is being transmitted to the weapon. the cracks on this plate are much worse than I thought at Barnsley if i keep using the plate the sword will fall off!
    so I will replace it with 4mm Hardox or similar and hope that holds up to the punishment. If not there is always 5mm Hardox!!!

Double post OOPS

Craig, thats one crazy robot u have after seeing it perform at Barnsley!

Oh and Craig, next time ur in a one-on-one fight and ur opponnent is stuck on the pit, always remember to listen to us!
    Liam Bryant
    Team Bud

I will

For those interested in such things I thought I would up date the work on The Saint, the Cardiff event was a good testing ground for the new weapon I made.
    It FAILED in all-important respects, I profiled the tip for armour piercing and it pierced the arena floor easily and stuck my robot to it. So I lost the competition fight to Barbaric Response again!
    I have now got rid of the spike part of the weapon and will be relying on the axe type edge for points scoring.
    The other failure was the link access hatch cover, this doesn€™t sound too important but I think in the very last fight of the day I had an intermittent failure of power because the link became dislodged. The link and hatch cover position is critical so that when the cover is closed and locked, the link can never come out, (unless it has found a way of passing through 3mm of hardened steel.)
    On the plus side The Saint did drive itself out of the pit twice and quite easily (I drove it in.) :shock: :shock:
    I have modified the hubcaps to assist the role recovery of the machine and this has worked well. The conveyor belt round the body of the robot is working well, it has been penetrated in a couple of places but it was designed as a sacrificial barrier and seems to be doing a good job in protesting the outer steel body.
    The crowed seemed to like the crazy antics of The Saint, and so do I
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    :wink:

The 5mm steel top plate did not work! :shock: :shock: :shock:

After Swindon I found the plate had split again, this time I have gone for plastic! So the top plate is made of 20mm,yes 20mm of UHMWPE (green) the bolts holding the sword are now 12mm high tensile steel cap-head bolts, with steel flat washers 50mm diameter and 5mm thick. And the access hatch for the link has been moved away from the weapon position and is round to remove any stress points.

Lets see what breaks now.

craig your st hammer resembles frank from us robot wars 95 and 96

Got any pics?

just looking for 1 now

i cant find any pics :sad:

but its in this video

Register To Comment