Register To Comment
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: SMASH!! Returns!!

We€™re the ones with the CRASH!!
    We€™re the ones with the BASH!!
    We are the ones that take out the TRASH!!
    And you€™ll never escape from Robot SMASH!!

*Jonathan Pearce and Henry Rollins appear in the SMASH!! Box, suspended 10 feet above the Robotagon itself with screens behind them showing lists of robots and battles*
    JP: Welcome back to the Robotagon for the second heat of Robot SMASH!! 3.
    Henry: Last time number #1 seed PsycloniZer saw off 5 other machines including ranked #17 Razer and newcomer Assegai in the final.
    JP: This time we have 6 new robots waiting in the wings.
    Henry: All of them will battle in the warzone at some point tonight.
    JP: But only one of them can make it to the series semi-finals.
    Henry: Tonight€™s seeded machines are Nidhogg Evo, a new version of Nidhogg.
    JP: And another hydraulic crusher, E Clawdius Unum.
    Henry: Both robots are very experienced.
    JP: Let€™s get going.

*Fearne Cotton and Holly Willoughby appear in the pits, where Paul is working on Blast in the background*
    Fearne: Welcome back SMASH-Fans!
    Holly: Tonight 6 more machines enter the Robotagon, let€™s meet them.
    Fearne: Here is Blast, a new entry from Team Insanity with a powerful rear hinged flipper and strong armour. This could be a very tough contender indeed, but there isn€™t any real damaging weaponry.
    Holly: This tough looking robot is Leprosy Infection, back from previous wars with absolutely no changes! It still has the powerful drum and runs inverted.
    Fearne: This T-shaped machine is Heliosa Xtreme, who like Blast has a powerful flipping arm. Unlike Blast it as LEM-170s in the drive that can be used to shove the other robots around, but it has a narrow area of attack.
    Holly: This is a full body drum like last series€™ semi-finalist Dervish V. It€™s called Delirium Tremors, and as you can see there are 6 wheels, but only four on the floor at one time due to these triangular pods. The drum is very powerful, but the armour is weak.
    Fearne: Welcome back E Clawdius Unum, seeded number #19 this time. It€™s the same as before, a wedge with mute-style barbs on top and a powerful hydraulic crusher. It€™s very experienced, but simple and has always lost to Killobite 5.0.
    Holly: And one of our favourite machines here at Robot SMASH!! , the all new Nidhogg Evo! Seeded number #3 this time around this machine has finished 2nd and 3rd respectively in the last 2 series of Robot SMASH!! This new version has a hydraulic lifter to replace the forks and a rear Rollcage to stop the problems previously caused by slow self-righting, which caused it to lose the series 1 final.
    Fearne: So we have the 6 machines.
    Holly: All we need now is to see the Battleboard!

Battleboard:
    Nidhogg Evo (3) vs. Heliosa Xtreme vs. Blast
    E Clawdius Unum (19) vs. Delirium Tremors vs. Leprosy Infection

*Henry appears in the middle of the Robotagon with the robots in their starting squares and the Roboteers on either side of him*
    Henry: This is a Robot SMASH!! Series 3: Lock3d and Load3d round 1 match-up!
    In the Red Corner, seeded number #3, Nidhogg Evo!
    In the Blue Corner, Heliosa Xtreme & Blast!

Nidhogg Evo (3):
    RS!!1 (as Nidhogg) ~ Crunched the wheels of The Curse in round 1 to move onto round 2, where it beat the impressive clusterbot Doorstops on a judge€™s decision. In the heat final it met up with WORCK, who hit the bottom of the pit and was expelled from the competition. In the quarter-finals Nidhogg drew hot favourites Seung Mina IV, who was also lifted and pitted. The semi-finals saw Nidhogg fighting Supreme Glory Omega, who caused plenty of damage but had its lexan armour perforated with ease by Nidhogg€™s powerful crusher. So it wasn€™t until the final that Nidhogg met Wedge Devolution, and the fight was close, but Nidhogg€™s self-righting spines were damaged and when it was flipped against the wall it was truly down and out.
    RS!!2 (as Nidhogg) (SEEDED #2) ~ Teamed up with Under Pressure to pit Leprosy Infection in the eliminator, then grappled and pitted Drum Boy in the second round. In the heat final it met promising realie Envy, who also was grabbed and pitted by the second seed. In the first round of the semi-finals Nidhogg met Achilles, a famous vapourbot, but newcomer to Robot SMASH!! . The box wedge flipper/rammer was grappled by the crusher/forks weapon synergy and confined to the pit. In the second round of the semi-finals though Nidhogg met a similar machine, Killobite 5.0 - who also employed a forks/crusher synergy. But the aluminium armour of the 10th seed was no match for Nidhogg€™s crusher and the match was over quickly. And so Nidhogg was in the final again, but eventual champion PsycloniZer was too strong for the previous runner-up. And in the play-off for third place Nidhogg struck back by pitting Back to Rock III to get the bronze medal.
    Overall Record ~ 11/2

Heliosa Xtreme:
    RS!!1 ~ N/A
    RS!!2 ~ N/A
    Overall Record ~ 0/0

Blast:
    RS!!1 ~ N/A
    RS!!2 ~ N/A
    Overall Record ~ 0/0

Roboteers, standby!

Booth Red: Joey McConnell
    Booth Blue: Ben Read, Paul Cuomo

House Robot: Shunt

#5...
    #4...
    #3...
    #2...
    #1...
    #SMASH!!

The 3 machines all start quickly, with the two flippers turning to face each other without even leaving the starting square while the seeded robot trundles across the arena towards Heliosa Xtreme, who has managed to push Blast backwards across the arena as both their ground clearances cancel each other out, but Blast reverses away before driving back on the attack and managing to swerve ever so slightly and get one of the low spikes under the side of Heliosa Xtreme, and Paul fires the full pressure flipper, flipping the T-shaped robot up onto the horizontal end, where it balances for a moment before crashing down onto its back! Blast resets the flipper and goes on the attack again, but Heliosa is invertible and so drives away before self-righting, but Nidhogg Evo follows and slides in underneath the side of the inverted newcomer, lifting it with the hydraulic weaponry and then bringing the crusher into play onto one of the exposed wheels of Heliosa, crumpling the tyre and pinning Team Manglo-Saxons€™ second entry in place! And with the robot held in place Joey turns and heads across the arena to the CPZ, dumping Heliosa in there for Shunt to go on the attack as he drives in underneath the flipped machine and brings his axe down with a thwack, sounding good but causing no damage. Heliosa self-rights though, only to have its wheels lifted by Shunt to remove the traction for the Robot Wars house robot to ram it across the arena and onto the flame pit! Shunt is not safe though, and Blast comes racing across the arena, getting the scoop under Shunt€™s side ground clearance and again firing the flipper and for the second time in the fight succeeding in turning the target turtle! And as we all remember from Robot Wars Shunt has an inability to self-right, as his once damaging axe fires to no avail and Heliosa Xtreme drives away, only to be attacked again by Nidhogg Evo, who removes its traction before bringing the dreaded crusher into play and this time crunching into the other wheel of Heliosa Xtreme, keeping Ben€™s robot aloft to prevent any resistance as the crusher does its job, mincing the tyres menacingly before Paul heads across the arena and hits the pit release button specially for his buddy Joey, allowing Nidhogg to head across the arena and release both weapons, dumping Heliosa Xtreme into the pit and out of the competition in a puff of smoke.
    But still Paul hasn€™t finished with Shunt and heads back across the arena with a sly grin on his face, sliding underneath the side of the upturned house robot and ramming it against the spike strip before firing the powerful weaponry for the final time to send the house robot up and over the fence to come tumbling down onto the camera tracks!

CEASE!

Heliosa Xtreme is extremely in need of help;
    Nidhogg Evo (3) & Blast progress to the second round!

*Fearne walks up to Ben in the pits*
    Fearne: That didn€™t go well at all, did it?
    Ben: No, I never got the flipper into play and was bullied around by the other two.
    Fearne: They seemed to team up on you.
    Ben: Yes, both I and Joey offered Paul a team-up, but naturally he chose the seeded robot.
    Fearne: Do you think that was why you lost?
    Ben: Partly, yes, I think if me and Blast had teamed up we have been able to flip the seeded robot over the fence.
    Fearne: Really?
    Ben: Yes, Nidhogg is a good robot but it has been vulnerable to flippers in the past.
    Fearne: This is a new version though, Joey says the self-righting problems that hindered the last edition have been fixed.
    Ben: It still can be flipped against a wall though, which wasn€™t a problem before because then it had the spines.
    Fearne: Maybe it still can self-right from anywhere with the centre of gravity?
    Ben: We€™ll see if it meets Blast again later on.
    Fearne: Thanks for competing.

Battleboard:
    Nidhogg Evo (3) vs. Heliosa Xtreme vs. Blast
    E Clawdius Unum (19) vs. Delirium Tremors vs. Leprosy Infection

*Henry appears in the middle of the Robotagon with the robots in their starting squares and the Roboteers on either side of him*
    Henry: This is a Robot SMASH!! Series 3: Lock3d and Load3d round 1 match-up!
    In the Red Corner, seeded number #19, E Clawdius Unum!
    In the Blue Corner, Delirium Tremors & Leprosy Infection!

E Clawdius Unum (19):
    RS!!1 ~ Crunched and pitted by Killobite 5.0 in round 1.
    RS!!2 ~ Pitted the Paramagnetic LOX Box in round 1 despite being repeatedly attacked by tenth seed Killobite 5.0, then met and pitted Exertion in round 2. Met up with Killobite 5.0 for the third time in the heat final, and again fell victim to the weapon synergy of the less-successful crushing machine.
    Overall Record ~ 2/2

Delirium Tremors:
    RS!!1 ~ N/A
    RS!!2 ~ N/A
    Overall Record ~ 0/0

Leprosy Infection:
    RS!!1 ~ N/A
    RS!!2 ~ Teamed up on by second seeds Nidhogg and Under Pressure in round 1.
    Overall Record ~ 0/1

Roboteers, standby!

Booth Red: Steven McGregor
    Booth Blue: Will Harrison, Christopher Mason

House Robot: Dead Metal

#5...
    #4...
    #3...
    #2...
    #1...
    #SMASH!!

All three machines move off into the centre of the arena as the match gets underway, with the seeded robot heading towards the box shaped Leprosy Infection and rather easily sliding underneath the drum as it spins up, getting Chris stuck on the barbs for the crusher to come into play on the top of Leprosy, compressing the top armour slightly and pinning the machine in place. But Delirium Tremors refuses to be left out and moves in on the attack with the drum spinning, slamming into E Clawdius Unum and flipping it over, ripping off one of the srimech arms in the process!
    The seeded robot is on its back with Leprosy Infection still in its grip, but thankfully for Steven it has landed on the side that still has a linear actuated arm and he uses it now to put the green wedge back onto its wheels, but it still holds onto Leprosy Infection, who is still pinned in place and Steven reverses into the pit release button. The siren wails and the pit descends, the green emperor heads towards the chasm again, but for the second time Delirium Tremors moves in and slams into E Clawdius Unum with the powerful drum, flipping over and attacking again to slam the seeded robot against the spike strip! Leprosy Infection is freed from Clawdius€™ grip and drives away, but Delirium Tremors drives in on the attack of the seed again, giving it some scars on the side panel and flipping against the spike strip!
    Steven seems to be OK though and drives on the attack of Leprosy Infection again, but Chris dodges the front of E Clawdius Unum and slams into the side of the wedge shaped seed, flipping it over and then ramming the base plate to push the number #19 seed into the CPZ, where Dead Metal closes his claws around it and brings the useless saw into play on the base panel of Clawdius, doing no real damage but providing a pleasing shower of sparks for the audience. Dead Metal keeps his claws around the seed and drives over to the flame pit where he deposits the upturned robot and returns to his CPZ. Clawdius self-rights with the remaining arm and drives at Leprosy Infection again, this time getting caught by the drum, which bends up one of the front spears, but the seed drives on undeterred and gets underneath the other green machine, bringing the crusher into play on the wheels this time and biting down on the tyres as it gets up to the pit, dumping Leprosy Infection on the side before spinning and knocking the invertible box into the abyss with a puff of smoke to signal the end of the match!

CEASE!

Leprosy Infection is infected;
    E Clawdius Unum (19) & Delirium Tremors move on to round 2!

*Holly walks up to Chris in the pits*
    Holly: How do you feel about that battle?
    Chris: Not too good.
    Holly: That was a stupid question really, but you did get a good attack on Clawdius once.
    Chris: Yeah, once I flipped him and pushed him into the CPZ. Dead Metal did the rest, but it did give him a few scratches I guess.
    Holly: And you bent one of his front spears.
    Chris: Yes, but sadly it didn€™t stop him getting under me with the other one.
    Holly: Is it frustrating to come up against designs that counter your own, like crushers against your exposed wheels?
    Chris: Definitely. Plus it€™s happened 2 series€™ running now, which is pretty annoying.
    Holly: Thanks for competing.

Battleboard:
    Nidhogg Evo (3) vs. Delirium Tremors
    E Clawdius Unum (19) vs. Blast

JP: Don€™t go anywhere.
    Henry: We€™ll be back after the break.

Good fights there.

Good concept, but a little exposed wheelage. Nidhogg for the clamp and pit.

Another clamp and pit, this time from Steve-O.

And in the battle of the seeds, I see the 19th seed performing an upset with...you guessed it: clamp and pit.

AWESOME return to Robot SMASH!! Liam. This is why I voted you best new writer last year - the battles are simply awesome.
    Now for tactics and predictions.

Looking at Delirium Tremors, it could be a match for any other robot, but the way the crusher of Nidhogg works, I believe Joey can get a clamp around the wheels, never let go, until theyre at the pit, and then DT will fall in, allowing Joey to advance.

This is quite a bad match-up, but its by not means IMPOSSIBLE to win.
    There are four advantages that I have over Clawdius:
    1: Im lower to the ground than him, because in order for him to get the crusher to work, he needs to be tall, which makes him more unstable, and easier to get under than me, and easy to flip.
    2: I have the 2 narrow, sharp spikes built into the flipper, making the flipper more able to get under things. So, in a head-on clash, I should come out on top.
    3: Im not invertible like most of my other robots, which makes me better for facing crushers than Nitro-Gene. Although the top is 5mm Ti, it should cope fine unless he grabs me
    4: Im faster than him, and can get away quite easily if he gets me into danger.

Tactics are to hit him in the side (although I may get under his front, he has 3 times my power, and could still push) As soon as I get under, flip him over, and because his self-righting is really slow, I can push him into the house robot, into the wall or just go for an OOTA. I favour either the OOTA or house robots

Good luck Steven :wink:

Good luck with these battles Liam.

I was going to post some tactics but Paul made some good suggestions with his predictions so going for Delirium Tremors wheels is my main priority. Grapple and pit basically

Best of luck to Matty, and as ever great fights from Der Liameister.

Whoops, really should slip in some tactics.

Guess theres not much to do against Blast but get round the sides with my superior control, scrape under the skirts, grapple and dump it ASAP. If Im very lucky, I might be able to coax the flipper open and crunch up the insides.

Ill also predict Nidhogg to blaze through to the Heat Final.

Gripping stuff, Liam (Pun entirely intended)!

Register To Comment