Register To Comment
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chevron Championship Series 2 - Medium Medium Speed Ones

yay! my first victory! great fight joey! you really summed up what a antweight battle is like,

well done

oh, btw in the rrc 17 videos it shows that dead meat cant run inverted, this can quite easily be rectified, by removing 1 strand of gafa! (as we found out when we got home!)

if your interested in ants joey (or anyone else!) check out robotwars101, loads of stuff there. then, if your still interested check out the events page, rrc is held 3 times a year in Reading, the AWS is held 3 times a year and RFRC (my event!) is held twice a year in Richmond!

hope i didnt go off on one lol

jack

Ill assume for the final said strand of gaffa is removed then :P

And I have signed up on RW101 actually, I was the guy who asked about polypropylene armour a while back (Im planning to get an ant built in among the million other things to do this summer )

Thanks for the comments btw, I watched most of the ant videos I could find to get an idea of how things worked...and having said all that, the semis might be delayed a bit now due to in school testing at the moment. Ill get them done as soon as is practical though

Aaaand with profuse apologies for the extreme lateness, I present:

Der firsten Semifinalenspeilungsprachtenengutenabend
    Darkestar (1) vs. Hypertension Mk. 3.5

ROBOTEERS, STAND BY

Booth 1, left hand side: Alex Holt
    Booth 2, right hand side: The driver of Hypertension who is called many things

ACTIVATE

For once in a Chevron Championship fight there is a quick start, with Darkestar being the first to move; the tracks trundle the machine off the starting square as the blade begins to rotate, and across the arena Hypertension pulls away from the arena wall, one of the four horsepower motors acting and then both to take the white wedge up into the top half of the arena. Hypertension swivels around to face Darkestar and, almost as soon as that is done, powers down on the attack, its foe turning to try and get the blade on course to hit Hypertension in its path. Mattys machine comes into range, the two robots eschewing the dance of death as Hypertensions front blade meets the tracks and front prongs of Darkestar at some speed, beginning to push diagonally against the Lynch motor power of its opponent...making minimal progress though, and after a few seconds of stalemating with Hypertension beginning to lose ground, Matty goes for a different approach!
    FLIP! The two rams extend and bring the flipper up, catching on Alexs tracks and sending Darkestar up onto its side, hanging precariously for a moment in the air before gravity takes over and he slams down onto the arena floor inverted. The flywheel, which had briefly begun to spin down, begins to rotate faster again, as Hypertension pulls away fron the scene with the flipper still raised, expelling white clouds of gas as the panel lowers and the robot turns to face Darkestar again. Matty pauses briefly as Darkestar begins its approach, but with confidence boosted by his initial success he applies the power to head straight at the fast approaching Darkestar, hoping for another flip...but this time when the two machines meet, the prongs hit Hypertension first, and with a 15kg flywheel weighing them down they go beneath the front wedge, leading Hypertension straight into Alexs weapon!
    CRASH! Just as the blade catches on the 7mm Hardox front wedge and flicks Hypertension up into the air, white paint flecks flying, the flipper opens - gas being expelled and pulling the machine further into the air, but hitting at nothing...and Darkestar moves forward, beneath the what comes up, must go down path Hypertension is currently on, having not quite flipped over...the triangular blade doesnt quite crash against the steel baseplate but has enough energy to bury the tip into the surface of the metal, denting it slightly, as all movement ceases briefly from both combatants. After a short pause, Darkestar drives forward, hoping to push Hypertension up against the wall, but the blade rotates of its own accord and lowers Mattys machine down to where its wheels can gain traction, and the resulting burst of reverse speed from the white wedge barreling into the wall confirms to Matty that yes, his controls still work, although the left stick trims are still broken.
    Darkestar closes back in on its newly escaped foe, but Alex is spinning the blade in vain as Hypertension darts to one side and then forwards, down diagonally across the arena before swivelling around near the flame pit to face the turning Darkestar again. Alexs machine lines up the prongs with the direction of its opponent, before yet another brief pause befalls both opponents, a variation on the classic Mexican standoff as both robots size each other up...and its Hypertension that breaks this deadlock, the front raising slightly as Matty slams on the amps and goes charging in, swerving around as Darkestar responds in kind, and as the two robots pass in the centre of the arena the Lynch motors on Darkestar suddenly reverse, the tracks trundling Alex machine backwards as Hypertension slams into where Darkestar had not been a second before...but its there now...Matty hits the front prongs, thankfully side on, and attempts a forward drive, trying to push Darkestar over to the wall. The traction from Darkestars tracks prevents this from happening though, only slow progress being made, and Darkestar turns with the prongs to push Hypertension out of the way, the fully spinning blade being buried into the side of the flipping machine as its newly found traction sends it past Darkestar with an exposed broadside!
    CRASH! More sparks fly, and Hypertension is beginning to look battle damaged now, several great gouges have appeared in the paintwork and in one or two places the seven millimetre Hardox plating has bowed inwards slightly. Hypertension lands right way up though, pointing in the general direction of Darkestar, and has enough power left to take off past the front of Alexs machine as he tries to maneuver to inflict further punishment on Hypertension. The wedge flipper brakes one sides drive as it flies past Darkestar, bringing the front of the robot around in an arc, and while Alex is thinking about how next to respond Hypertensions wedge blade goes beneath the side tracks of his tank, Matty seeing an opportunity to get back into the action and firing the flipper!
    FLIP! Darkestar leaves the front of the weapon, tumbling quickly side over side before landing inverted again, and looks slightly shaken as it turns briefly in one direction before correcting and scrambling away from the scene, the tracks turning it in reverse to face up to Mattys machine again. Hypertension applies the throttle, hoping for another dodge and flip on Darkestar same as the last, as it swings around in a positioning arc maneuver...and winds around to back where it started. There is sudden concern in the Team Devils Incarnate supporters club, as Matty leans up in his control pod, pushing the sticks every which way but loose, but only able to produce movement in one side of the drive. Jerkily backwards and to the right...jerkily forwards and to the right...but no smooth forward, backwards, or left, the right wheel has stopped, and Alex begins to drive in with the blade spinning down on Darkestar, his hopes of a win surely cemented now, and there is barely any contact between the two robots between then and the cease, Darkestar colliding with the side of the stricken Hypertension just as the voice from the heavens has the final word.

CEASE

Hypertension brave, and upsetting the flow of the fight for the while, but after pressurising the champion falls prey to drive issues.
    DARKESTAR (1) ADVANCES TO THE HEAT FINAL!

*in the pits, Matty wheeling Hypertensions trolley down the ramp to a smattering of commiserative applause*

Joey: Bad luck Matt, you fought well.
    Matty: Yeah...just thats the way things turn out sometimes.
    Joey: They looked to be turning out quite well for you at one point...you took a few hits but you seemed a bit more aggressive up until the final attack *Matty nods* so what happened?
    Matty: Broken chain. *hands Joey a chain* The last hit from the flywheel - it actually knocked the wheel mountings about a bit, and I drove forwards a bit and it just went out of alignment and fell off the sprocket. Was a hell of a hit though, all credit to Alex for that.
    Joey: You enjoyed your time here then?
    Matty: On balance yeah, its been fun and...well, I didnt do too badly did I? *laughs* Got five more to do as well, they all need a bit of a respray actually in the new team colours.
    Joey: You go do that then. *laughs* Thanks very much.

COMING SOON TO A CENTURY NEAR YOU
    Back To Rock III vs. Battle Raptor 5

...thoughts, any more predictions, a potion to make me grow wings?

The CHEVRON CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES 2
    HEAT A
    SEMI FINAL 2
    BACK TO ROCK III vs. BATTLE RAPTOR 5

ROBOTEERS, STAND BY

Booth 1, left hand side: Martijn Benschop
    Booth 2, right hand side: Richard Southworth

ACTIVATE

There is silence in the arena for one brief moment, before both machines move almost simultaneously as if waiting for some invisible barrier to be lifted. Back To Rock is slightly the faster but moves slower out of the start, in contrast to the fast movement of Battle Raptor, which skids downwards past the flame pit before turning to face BTR, which responds not in kind, but rather by cranking up the power, leaving its square and curving around to bring the front in on Battle Raptor, hoping to get in underneath the sides of the Jurassic machine...Richard turns though, knocking into BTR with the front lifting blade, and up in his booth he pulls on the switch to lift the forks up...and they rise...the flat blade hasnt got underneath BTRs dual front forks though, and when Martijn operates his weapon it has more of an effect, catching beneath the forks as Marti takes advantage of this to slide in further beneath Battle Raptor. The sawblade on the front has been set spinning, and sparks fly as saw meets blade with a brief scraping noise shattering the air in the arena, and the lifter raises ever higher, the drive of Battle Raptor getting no grip on the arena floor and leaving it at the mercy of the Dutch machine.
    BTR turns, bringing its front fully parallel with that of Battle Raptor, and a late flick of the Battle Raptor axe just misses the titanium top of the lifter, jolting the machine around and causing more sparks to come from the saw meeting the drilled Hardox base. The axe retracts almost as violently, as BTR begins to push further forwards and scraping the rear of its opponent against the arena floor, towards the edge of the house robots domain, but the progress of the BTR/BR5 train is brought to a halt by the outcropping corner of the arena wall, Battle Raptor left pinned in between the house robots to one side and BTR to the other, but going nowhere. Sergeant Bash is the first of the house robots to pay attention, coming forward to flick out a tongue of flame at the stranded Battle Raptor, whose axe fires once more and jolts the robot again, failing to connect with anything, but cause enough for Marti to drive it further against the wall...whereupon the tyres gain traction, and as the axe retracts Battle Raptor drags itself up the lifter of its adversary, reaching the top and toppling off to one side, landing inverted beside BTR.
    Martijn swivels his robot around, but Battle Raptor has taken advantage of its newfound mobility to quickly get away from the action, driving up towards the pit before Richard fires the axe and levers his machine back over its forks and right way up again, the wheels spinning all the while and pulling it straight forward towards BTR the moment it touches the floor, hoping to have a better go at attacking this time. Back To Rock is half facing the advancing machine now, the six wheel drive positioning it just in time, and the two robots meet head to head with an almighty crash! BTR finds itself pushed backwards about a foot, but as the lifter rises it seems that the forks on Battle Raptor have again failed to get beneath the weaponry of their opponent...the axe is in prime position now though, and is fired, impacting on and denting the lid of Back To Rock IIIs lifting arm! The shock of this is enough to bring the orange robot back off the lifter and down onto the arena floor, as the pneumatic weapon retracts and fires again, resulting in a brief but brilliant spark display from titanium axe meeting steel sawblade, and another dent in the titanium armour, this time in the front of the lifter. Battle Raptor backs up and comes in again, swerving past the encroaching BTR and catching one of the side skirts, which although the forks ride up them uselessly do not get in the way of the axe, which fires again, impacting where the first dent was and making it cave in that little bit more, and as it retracts a very slight breakage can be made out in the top of the Dutch robot.
    Feeling more confident, Richard fires the axe again, but this time as BTR makes its escape from the firing line, the two Lynch motors only allow it a glancing blow on the rear plate, some sparks from Ti axe on Ti armour being freed, but Battle Raptor is forced into a pursuit, the fleeing BTR making its way up past the flame pit and into the top right corner of the free arena, skidding around just in front of the angle grinders, followed closely by Richard, who deviates from his course to turn around to try and get Back To Rock side on. As Martijn endeavours to prevent that, both robots search each other as a slow dance ensues, Back To Rock turning as Battle Raptor circles.
    Someone has to break this waltz eventually, and its Battle Raptor - screeching to a halt as the four go-kart motors slam into reverse, backing up a bit to try and bring the axe in on the side of Martijns machine. BTR is too quick though, and by the time the maneuver is complete is facing its opponent, weapon to weapon. Not wanting to waste a good setup, Battle Raptor charges in anyway, the forks impacting its opponents red paintwork and the axe flicking out to hammer on the top again, perforating the smooth arc that is Back To Rock IIIs front top edge - but the lifter raises again, accompanied by a push from BTR, and Battle Raptor finds itself without traction again! Back To Rock picks up some speed, sensing a way to end this as the pit looms behind Battle Raptor, and the violent retraction of the axe does little more than slightly upset the right-to-left shove across the arena, Richard trying every button on his controls to try and get back in the fight, but with the pit yawning open, hope is fading, and as stainless steel and paint gives way to openness backed with tyres and smoke, the final flick outwards of the axe manages a gouge out of the BTR lifter but also serves as the Cretaceous machines farewell from the competition, the axehead, forks, orange and four wheels disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

CEASE

A battle of dodging, axing, periods of alternate dominance, pushing, but perhaps most importantly a pitting. Battle Raptor loses out, Back to Rock III moves on!

*inside the arena, fairly dark, Richard loading Battle Raptor back onto his trolley*

Joey: What happened there?
    Richard: Got pushed around quite a bit, hit it a lot, and ended up down there. *points at pit*
    Joey: Bad luck there, commiserations...it seemed as though you were having problems getting underneath it though?
    Richard: Well, I was going to have trouble with the side skirts, but...the front I should have been able to get underneath I think, but after the first imapct the lifter seemed to jam, I was telling it to move but it wasnt responding.
    Joey: The, uh, saw on Back To Rock seemed to end up in that general area early on...do you think that was to do with it?
    Richard: It probably was, I trust my own wiring. *laughs* Yeah, theres a big mark on there where it hit, but the actuator itself looks alright...gonna have to strip it down when I get back to the bench I think, see what the problem was.
    Joey: You go do that then, thanks for being here.
    Richard: Its been a pleasure.

So, with that all said and done, the heat A final is thus:

Darkestar (1) vs. Back To Rock III

Tactics, comments, thoughts, someone to dispose of this red taurine?

great reading joey keep it up.

Thanks Shane

Chevron Championship Series 2 - The Tournament With The Inconsistent Style Of Opening Posts
    Heat A Final
    Darkestar (1) vs. Back To Rock III

Joey: Alex, quick word ahead of the final...against a backdrop of the robot in bits as usual...
    Alex: *looks over shoulder* Yeah, it usually ends up like this *laughs* Just charging the batteries.
    Joey: Ah, thats fine, no major problems. So...Back To Rock III...
    Alex: Hmm...could be a tough one possibly. In theory, I should get the upper hand here, got more traction and the bigger weapon. In practice though...we shall see.
    Joey: Do you think it could come down to driving then?
    Alex: Maybe. Im hoping it doesnt, heh. But it should be a good fight.
    Joey: Best of luck Alex.

Joey: Well, Marti, it looks like youre in slightly better shape than you were when I last saw you.
    Martijn: Yep, bashed out the dents, done a bit of welding, and the weapon is in full working order again, raring to go.
    Joey: Good, good. And the robot?
    Martijn: Did some work on that as well, I think its good as new - well, apart from the paint there - and it shouldnt break down or anything.
    Joey: Even against Darkestar?
    Martijn: Course not, its built like a tank...but I looked and were very similar actually, we run the same motors, Ive got six wheels and hes got tracks...hes got the bigger weapon of course, but I should outmaneuver him.
    Joey: Good luck with that one.

ROBOTEERS, STAND BY

Booth 1, left hand side: Alex Holt
    Booth 2, right hand side: Martijn Benschop

ACTIVATE

The blade of Darkestar begins to rotate up to speed, almost pre-empting the call to begin, while across the arena Back To Rock III has got off to a very quick start, the two Lynch motors powering it across the arena in a banzai run as Martijn hopes to stop the blade of Darkestar from getting up to dangerous levels of energy, the opposing robot now beginning to move forward as the tracks take it straight into the path of Back To Rock...the machines meet, the lifter of Back To Rock recieves a scar to the front paint, but the blade is stopped with no other damage! The two robots have now become wedged on one another, and in all the excitement it has become unclear who precisely has the advantage - but as both drivers pour on the current and tracks and wheels spin, we shall find out...and in the battle of 48v Lynch against 48v Lynch, its the tracks that beat the wheels, as slowly the machines move towards the centre of the arena, a cloud of tyre smoke forming around them as Back To Rock tries to resist the slow yet sure force of Darkestar.
    After a few seconds of edging, Back To Rock slams into reverse and pulls off the front of its foe, before Marti turns it to drive up towards the top edge of the arena, moving forward before coming back around to face Darkestar, which is still broadside on as Alex turns the tracks to face his enemy. Not wasting any time, Back To Rock immediately starts forward, coming in rapidly towards Darkestar, which is unable to get into a good position away from the danger, and burying itself straight into the left hand track as pink sparks fly from the contact of stainless steel track on...well, Im not too sure, but I asked Marti about it and when I said what colour sparks will result when your saw hits stainless steel tracks? he answered can I have pink sparks? so there you go.
    There seems to be little damage to the track itself, the chain keeps on going with only some of the dark rubber being scraped away to show the bare steel, but Darkestar isnt getting off of the front wedge of BTR that it has found itself on, and the lifter begins to do its duty...the movement from the opposite side track becomes moot as Darkestar is tilted ever higher by the weapon on its foe, until it is supported by only the lifter and the right side armour. Alex can do little to try and extricate his machine, but Martijn seems to have a problem; he currently sits between Darkestar and the pit, with no real way of carrying out his plan. Going for the push instead, he lowers the lifter slightly and slams the power, only for Darkestar to gain traction on the arena floor and swing itself around using its one free track, contacting the ground on a different plane to the others, and pulling the rest of the machine off the lifter and down to terra firma. Now in position to attack Back To Rock, Darkestar pushes forward with the blade running at full tilt, catching the Dutch machine just as it tries to reverse back from the scene!
    CRASH! In the first big hit of the fight, Back To Rock is thrown side over side, almost doing a 360 degree spin in the air but hitting the floor with not quite enough energy to roll back onto its wheels, teetering on one corner for a moment. Martijn pulls on his transmitter, as the lifter flicks out in high gear, but too fast, as all it does is stabilise the machine in its current position and leave it looking statuesque on the arena floor. Darkestar looks on, revving the blade up to speed again, as the lifter on Back To Rock retracts, dragging the rest of the robot around - the side skirt hinges scraping up paint from the steel arena floor as this happens - and once fully flush with the body again begins to lift again, this time the Lynch motor and rack mechanism having the desired effect, as the front of the robot rises into the air like some greaceful mechanical dolphin, as the centre of gravity shifts and the robot rolls around its back end and lands just in front of the pit with nary a bump, the lifter beginning to retract almost before it hits the ground. Darkestar has seen a chance though, building up a head of steam as Alex drives in, and before Marti can reverse away from the scene...
    CRASH! White sparks fly everywhere as Darkestars vicious triangle is buried into the side of Back To Rock once more, but little damage is actually being caused to the Dutch machine here - the seven millimetre thich titanium panels are resisting anything other than cosmetic scratches and chipped paintwork. But thats not the main worry for Marti right now...the main worry is the kinetic energy transfer sending his machine hopping up in the air, almost attracted to the tube at the top of the arenas inner walls, tumbling over it before catching the railway sleeper again as it comes down and hits the floor again...next to the polycarbonate outer screening! Darkestar backs off slightly, Alex looking somewhat surprised in his booth, but being gamely applauded as the winner across the podium by a no less incredulous Marti, who allows his sense of humour to overcome his disappointment as he laughs off his own robots sudden ejection from the arena.

CEASE

Joey: A battle of technicolour sparks and lots of action, topped off by a great finish...Back To Rock III fought well, but the winner and still the reigning champion, Darkestar!

*gestures* Come on up guys.

*both booths raise, the roboteers join Joey via some stairs. Much handshaking occurs amidst comments of jolly good and great work*

Joey: Well, Marti...that was a bit sudden I must say.
    Martijn: It was rather...I was hoping to last a bit longer, until that double whammy of hits I thought I was on top there.
    Joey: I thought that too...truth be told when I started watching this I thought youd win, but...
    Martijn: ...things just turned out differently yeah, I was on top but didnt get under him at the right time I think.
    Joey: Ah well, youve been great so far, and youve got three more in the competition so all is not lost.
    Martijn: Thankyou, Captain Obvious. It has been fun so far though.
    Joey: *odd look*...hmm...anyway, lets raise a hand for Martijn Benschop, with Back To Rock III!

*cheering*

Alex: The champion is marching on!
    Joey: So it is, so it is...you looked a bit surprised to be throwing him out of the ring though, was that the intention?
    Alex: Indirectly it was *laughs* I was going to try and prop it up against the wall so I could get it out on the next hit, but...I guess I dont know my own strength, heh.
    Joey: Do you think that strength could carry you all the way?
    Alex: Well see, like I said two weeks ago Id like to get as far as possible though. Anyone who wants this crown is gonna have to fight me for it...
    Joey: Youll be doing a lot of fighting then, that seems to be everyone elses aim. *laughs* Give it up, heat A winner, Darkestar!

*cheering*

Join us next time, whenever that may be, for Heat B, where we shall have a Tug Of War trial and the following machines:
    MORD 2
    Thor
    Disco 5
    Shadow Zone Forever
    System Shock V: Hex
    Night Stalker

Catch you then, and any comments, tactics or predictions are warmly welcomed.

(Message edited by joeychevron on February 26, 2009)

...and so the tournament progresses at a medium medium speed...very sorry for the recent delays, had problems with a leaking fishtank and the fact that School have decided that they are going to give me some work to do for once.

Still, got a weekend free now so should be able to get the gauntlet up within the next couple of days. Till then, heres some lovely intros

FIRST, FROM LANCASHIRE, MASTER OF ROBOT DESTRUCTION 2!
    A long, narrow machine that uses a shuffling propulsion system to gain a weight advantage, MORD runs on electric go-kart motors and is encased in Hardox wearplating for protection, the main weapons system being a titanium 180 degree electric lifting scoop, which lifts up to reveal a 2000rpm spinning drum, which makes up almost a fifth of the robots weight!

FROM KINGSTHORPE IN NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, THOR!
    The god of thunder returns for the new series, covered in silver lightning bolts over a black Hardox bodyshell and powered by a pair of four horsepower Magmotors. The main feature of Thor is the pneumatic hammer working with the front scoop to ram into opponents and perform a few gentle taps to sort out any virus problems the opposing machines may have.

FROM KELVEDON IN ESSEX, DISCO 5!
    Disco 5s main weapon is the rear yellow vertical flywheel device run from a C40-500 magmotor through timing belts, backed up by the front hinge 10 bar flipper and side skirts to try and thwart wedge attacks. A well engineered titanium monocoque chassis gives the innards strong but light protection, and it has quite a reputation to uphold in the arena.

FROM TORONTO IN CANADA, SHADOW ZONE FOREVER!
    Another monocoque design, using a classic Lynch motor driven rammer setup with four aluminium wheels but making use of lithium battery technology to save weight for a Hardox and titanium body and heavily shockproofed front scoop designed to withstand spinner hits with its concave surface. The rear full pressure flipper can be used as a weapon but is mainly a self righting device.

FROM CARDIFF IN WALES, SYSTEM SHOCK V: HEX!
    Interchangable weapons is the key to System Shock - the team have a choice of a spinning disc, an anti crusher frame attached to said disc, a variety of scoops and wedges and a vertical drum, all surrounding a Hardox four wheel drive fast box wedge that can also have tracks fitted, making it a real chameleon. The two drive motors run at 48 volts and weigh eleven kilograms each!

FROM ARIZONA IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, NIGHT STALKER!
    Finally, this wide machine from the very southern reaches of the States hopes to use its scaring eyes to intimidate the opposition, backed up as they are by a revolving body with sawblade teeth spaced around the bottom edge to rip into opponents. The motors in Night Stalker are from wheelchairs, the batteries designed for golf carts, and the shell is made of thick and heavy steel.

COMING UP NEXT CENTURY:
    The Gauntlet
    Quick reminder to Liam that System Shock is interchangable and I need to know what hes using

Register To Comment