Register To Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vapourbot Awards 2008

Welcome to The Vapourbot Awards 2008! Yeah, it is that time of year again. As usual, vote in as many categories as possible (preferably all of them). Try to narrow it down to one choice per category, please. However if you can€™t decide between two, half a vote will be split between them. No more than two votes per category please. You can€™t vote for yourself or your vapourbots. But you can vote for best battle if your robot was in that battle. It is up to you whether your votes are made public, or whether you wish to send me them privately. Remember that these awards reflect the whole year, from January 2008 until now. Voting will close around 23rd December, so you€™ve got plenty of time to make your choices. Here€™s this years categories:

Most Original Design
    Best Design
    Most Overrated Vapourbot
    Most Underrated Vapourbot
    Most Original Designer
    Best Designer
    Most Overrated Vapourboteer
    Most Underrated Vapourboteer
    Most Improved Vapourboteer :new:
    Idiot of the Year
    Best Sportsman
    Best Render :new:
    Funniest Moment :new:
    Biggest Surprise of the Year
    Best Custom House Robot
    Best Custom Arena
    Best Comedy Bot
    Best Clusterbot
    Best Interchangeable Robot
    Best Rammer
    Best Walker
    Best Shuffler
    Best Tracked
    Best Front Hinged Flipper
    Best Rear Hinged Flipper
    Best Axe
    Best Horizontal Spinner
    Best Vertical Spinner
    Best Saw
    Best Full Body Spinner / Ring Spinner / Translational Spinner
    Best Horizontal Crusher
    Best Vertical Crusher
    Best Miscellaneous Weapon
    Most Effective Weapon
    Best RPG
    Best Battle
    Best New Writer
    Best New Tournament :new:
    Best Writer
    Best Alternative Event (side events, extremes etc€¦)
    Best Minor Tournament (47 bots and under)
    Best Major Tournament (48 bots and over)
    Best Team
    Best New Vapourbot
    Best New Vapourboteer
    Best Vapourboteer of 2008
    Best Vapourbot of 2008
    Vapourboteer Hall of Fame - already inducted are Frank Goacher, Steven McGregor, Aaron Knight, Alex Holt and myself.
    Vapourbot Hall of Fame :new: - as was suggested last year, we now have a hall of fame for vapourbots as well as vapourboteers. For this year, you are allowed to vote for up to three vapourbots to be inducted.

Please ask if there are any questions. Get voting everyone!

davids
    Too many categories for awards I think

Some of those weapon categories could be merged together IMO

My opinion on this is that weve had a great year with great newcomers (Ive counted about 10, including promising newcomers like Joey, Lewis and Liam and ofcourse the likes of Mark Elam) and great new designs and that especially THIS year this list could represent that. The old order changeth so to speak and this years list might just be very different than last years, especially in normally neglected areas as best front-hinged flipper and best clusterbot for example.

Well - its come around again. Time to vote in this section.

Most Original Design
    I believe in this section, that Matt Fowlers BIACS-LE who won last year, deserves the win this year as well.

Best Design
    The best design award is tricky, because a lot of decent designs have been created here. But Im going to give it to Jamie McHarg, a roboteer turned vapourboteer, with his robot Firefly.

Most Overrated Vapourbot
    This may sound like a little bit of jealously here, but I prefer to call his section in my case as the ANNYOING Vapourbot It goes to Daniel Stickler, and his Supreme series.

Most Underrated Vapourbot
    Now, overtime, I felt that Liam Eliot created a LOT of great robots, a lot of which didnt do as well as they should. One robot that did well, but not as well as I thought it should, is Apocalypse.

Most Original Designer
    The only...Alex Holt!

Best Designer
    This year, we saw new genius ideas emerge from the brain of one man in creating Intriguer, Seung Mina, Wedginator, Tira and may more, so I say the award goes to him - Kody Kunz.

Most Overrated Vapourboteer
    This is one Im not intending on answering.

Most Underrated Vapourboteer
    Well. The most underrated vapourbotter is tough, because its between the great Chezza, whos only won 1 minor competition and Matty Fowler, whos won a hypothetical major, but thats it, and he should win more...Ill give it to Chezza.

Most Improved Vapourboteer
    Im going to go with the one vapourboteer who I remember from last year, who lost his first fight, and has now made the semi-finals of E.O.T.R, RS!! , runner-up in an Annihilator and that other thing I cant remember the name of Yes - its Danny Bailey.

Idiot of the Year
    Is this a contest? MALE KRAM - a Idiot so idiotic, his own idiocy killed him (he got banned for being stupid with words )

Best Sportsman
    I would give this to Steven McGregor, purely because hes been gracious with wins, gracious with losses, hes never been harsh, and thats something to be admired.

Best Render
    I say its Kodys render of Killotine: EVO thst deserves this prize, for making one of the best vapourbots around look good in a render.

Funniest Moment
    Too many to remember.

Biggest Surprise of the Year
    I think the biggest suprise of the year is one I can remember, which was when Knyfe took on, and beat Achilles in the Semi-Final of RS!!Mini-Tornument. It was a shock to me, so Im voting for Knyfe vs. Achilles: RS!! Mini-Tornument Semi-Final.

Best Custom House Robot
    Cant remember all that many, so I wont say.

Best Custom Arena
    Can only remember Kodys arena, so Ill vote for him.

Best Comedy Bot
    Cant remember many comedy bots.

Best Clusterbot
    This is the one, the only clusterbot this year to make it to the final 4 of a major - Frank Goachers Door Stops!

Best Interchangeable Robot
    Not sure if I invented the only interchangable robot of the year So I wont comment.

Best Rammer
    I vote for the top rammer this year, with a massive Titanium scoop and 104hp in his LEM200s at 60V - Chezzas robot: Do Or Die!

Best Walker
    Simple here - Hex Appeal - a Joey/Dan colaboration.

Best Shuffler
    Cant remember anything else except Whirligig - so I vote for Steven McGregors Whirligig 4.5!

Best Tracked
    Hes made a final, hes not done as well as he should, hes a great design - its Alex Holts Darkestar!!

Best Front Hinged Flipper
    Dont know

Best Rear Hinged Flipper
    Who wins every single fight hes in (not litterally, but you get my idea ) Its Steven McGregors Wedge Devolution

Best Axe
    My favourite axe-robot this year, has to be the best thought-out, well-planned, and lethal axe-robot from Canada - Kody Kunzs Intriguer!

Best Horizontal Spinner
    Dont know

Best Vertical Spinner
    Dont know

Best Saw
    Obviously, its SDU from Mr. McGregor!

Best Full Body Spinner / Ring Spinner / Translational Spinner
    Ill vote for the awesome, deadly design from AJ - PsycloniZer!

Best Horizontal Crusher
    Its gory, its got the glory - Kodys Super Gore Revo!

Best Vertical Crusher
    Dont know.

Best Miscellaneous Weapon
    Dont know.

Most Effective Weapon
    I know this one Frank Goacher here has created a flipper that can OOTA, and damage as well - so I vote for The May Tracks Has You!

Best RPG
    Dont know.

Best Battle
    WAY TOO MANY TO PICK FROM! Id pick them all if it was allowed

Best New Writer
    I vote for a vapourboteer, who coame up a lot of stuff this year, but has sadly left to continue with school work, which is understandable. I vote for the creator of RS!! and hopes he comes back soon - Liam Eliot!

Best New Tournament
    See above - I vote for RS!! because its great!

Best Writer
    Too many to choose from.

Best Alternative Event (side events, extremes etc€¦)
    Honestly, dont know.

Best Minor Tournament (47 bots and under)
    It has to be Dave Sheppards Fight Against The House Robots Revisited, it was great (even more so because I won it :wink

Best Major Tournament (48 bots and over)
    Too many to pick.

Best Team
    Kodys band of bruisers are the best this year in my opinion, and I vote for his team - Team Zlayerz.

Best New Vapourbot
    Thiwon

Best New Vapourboteer
    He was the earilest vapourboteer, and he started well and got better and better - Joey McConnell.

Best Vapourboteer of 2008
    The overall best vapourboteer has to go, in my opinion to Steven McGregor.

Best Vapourbot of 2008
    Well - this robot is ultra-brilliant, and ultra-annoying with his wheel spiking/ripping system, so I vote for The May Tracks Has You from the evil mind of Frank Goacher!

Vapourboteer Hall of Fame
    I think that this guy has put forward masses of input into the world of vapourboteering - this is someone with great designs, great writing, great sportsmanship - I say it should be KODY KUNZ!

Vapourbot Hall of Fame
    I think this basically comes down to 3 robots that are truely awesome, and deserve recognition, so I vote for:
    Steven McGregors WEDGE DEVOLUTION
    Alex Holts ACHILLES
    Frank Goachers TEMPEST EVIL-EST-LUTION

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Hope this votes saticify everyone

(Message edited by paulc on November 20, 200

quote:

Most Overrated Vapourbot
    This may sound like a little bit of jealously here, but I prefer to call his section in my case as the ANNYOING Vapourbot It goes to Daniel Stickler, and his Supreme series.

to me that reads like:

Most Effective Weapon
    This may sound a little bit odd here, but I prefer to call his section in my case as the BRIGHTES nebula. It goes to The Greater Andromeda Nebula for its bright green colors.

You bluntly changed one catogery into another, and as a result, Supreme is now leading the race for being the most OVERRATED robot in the scene due to your vote while I see in your words you dont find it overrated at all .

Paul - thats a lot of stuff you dont know there, almost half the votes...particularly in the weapons categories, I personally find it very hard to believe that you dont know enough to make some sort of decision on them. Anyway, down to:

JOEYS EPIC VOTES THAT ARE EPIC

Most Original Design: Holepunch - the pneumatic crusher is something that should really be used more often in my opinion
    Best Design: Darkestar
    Most Overrated Vapourbot: Die-Ceratops Re-Invertus
    Most Underrated Vapourbot: Heyght II
    Most Original Designer: Dan Stickler - for things like Fling and Supreme, and the continued use of Sinclair C5s if nothing else :P
    Best Designer: Alex Holt
    Most Overrated Vapourboteer: Aaron Knight - although it has to be said not completely without reason
    Most Underrated Vapourboteer: Danny Bailey
    Most Improved Vapourboteer: I think this should really go to Liam Eliot, as he really went up in the world before his unfortunate departure...
    Idiot of the Year: Mark Elam, largely for spectacularly turning everyone against him and then effectively banning himself in an epic fashion. Paul Cuomo gets a mention though, for he reprieved himself from this at the eleventh hour by showing signs of improvement.
    Best Sportsman: I think more or less everyone with a few exceptions has been very sporting this year, so I shall abstain from this one
    Best Render: Marti Benschops rendering of his entire squad that served as his ZED signature until recently/Kodys rendering of his own squad
    Funniest Moment: Anything that happened in late 2008 involving Andy Jackson, the fora of vapourbots, and a lot of vodka.
    Biggest Surprise of the Year: Does it count as a vote for myself if I vote for the influx of newcomers?

Best Custom House Robot: Ancalgon The Black, for sheer overkillness
    Best Custom Arena: Crash and Burn Arena
    Best Comedy Bot: Woody in its various forms
    Best Clusterbot: Weapons Synergy Unleashed
    Best Interchangeable Robot: Macduff the 4th
    Best Rammer: Flick Of The Wrist
    Best Walker: Archangel of the Abyss
    Best Shuffler: Whirligig
    Best Tracked: Darkestar
    Best Front Hinged Flipper: Hot Sauce...although an honourable mention to Envy who Im not allowed to vote for :P
    Best Rear Hinged Flipper: Ge5orce
    Best Axe: Killotine Evo
    Best Horizontal Spinner: Fox in the Box/Supreme
    Best Vertical Spinner: The 6isc
    Best Saw: Spin Dash Unleashed
    Best Full Body Spinner / Ring Spinner / Translational Spinner: PsycloniZer/Tengu
    Best Horizontal Crusher: Death Threat
    Best Vertical Crusher: Holepunch
    Best Miscellaneous Weapon: Cobalt (Yep, Frank devises a way to hold on to this award :P)
    Most Effective Weapon: PsycloniZer

Best RPG: The Oddestseys return
    Best Battle: The final of AJWars: Another Era - Liar 2 vs. Infusion
    Best New Writer: Lewis Matthews - great new writer who Im really looking forward to see the progress of
    Best New Tournament: Vapourbot Vengeance - great premise to base a tourney on, although honourable mention to Mechanical Maelstrom
    Best Writer: Kody Kunz
    Best Alternative Event (side events, extremes etc€¦): The EOTR Annihilator - proof that when Paul finishes tournaments (emphasis on when :P) they are in fact very good
    Best Minor Tournament (47 bots and under): AJWars: Another Era/The Phoenix Cup
    Best Major Tournament (48 bots and over): Crash and Burn 3
    Best Team: Team BriteSpark/Team Varying Every Day
    Best New Vapourbot: Fling
    Best New Vapourboteer: The sadly departed (for now anyway) Liam Eliot. :sad:
    Best Vapourboteer of 2008: Andy Jackson
    Best Vapourbot of 2008: Sheer Heart Attack 2 (Won C&B2 and is still feared by...well, everything :P)

Hall of Fame: This goes to the person who, from what I have read and heard, was one of the few responsible for saving vapourbots back in 2006 when it looked like it was going to die, and who when I first arrived back in February of this year was the vapourboteer who I found most willing to help me hone my stats and get me going in this hobby, and the person who I respect as one of the elite if you like, and who Ive come to consider as a friend. My nomination for the Vapourboteer Hall of Fame is...Martijn M Benschop. You deserve it, dude.

Hall of Fame (vapourbots): Ill have to give this one some thought...expect my votes tomorrow or sometime later than that.

It has been one of the better years for vapourbots from what it looks like (even though I speak that as a newcomer myself in this year :P) so well done to everyone for making it to the end and hopefully, the beginning of an even better one.

quote:

Best Vapourbot of 2008: Sheer Heart Attack 2 (Won C&B2 and is still feared by...well, everything :P)

I completely forgot the C&B2 final was this very year, which means Sheer Heart Attack 2 actually won 2 tournaments in 2008

thnx for the votes Joey, my votes can be expected soon

Most Original Design: Symmetry ( Leo Van Miert )
    Best Design: Dantu ( Alex Holt )
    Most Overrated Vapourbot: SOR X ( AJ )
    Most Underrated Vapourbot: Dead Horse Beater ( Frank Goacher )
    Most Original Designer: Leo Van Miert
    Best Designer: Kody Kunz
    Most Overrated Vapourboteer: AJ
    Most Underrated Vapourboteer: Frank Goacher
    Most Improved Vapourboteer: Jack Orr
    Idiot Of The Year: Cant vote for me for crearing while hallucinating, so, Kody
    Best Sportsman: Martijn M Benschop
    Best Render: Wedgin8or ( Kody Kunz )
    Funniest Moment: Me for using Apple Crumble as a srimech
    Biggest Suprise Of The Year: Liam Eliot retiring while still in his prime ( how sad, *sniffles* )
    Best Custom House Robot: Damocles ( Kody Kunz )
    Best Custom Arena: The Battlegrounds ( Kody Kunz )
    Best Comedy Bot: Mega Masher 2 ( The Wars Incarnate version ) ( Christopher Mason )
    Best Clusterbot: Sacrifice ( Daniel Stickler )/The Alexandra Sisters: Judgement ( Kody Kunz )
    Best Interchangeable Robot: Slammer VI ( Alex Holt )
    Best Rammer: Baldur Gamma ( Alex Holt )
    Best Walker: Absolution ( Kody Kunz )
    Best Shuffler: Whirligig 4.5 ( Steven McGregor )
    Best Tracked: Darkestar ( Alex Holt )
    Best Front-Hinged Flipper: Gabriel IV ( Joey McConnel )
    Best Rear-Hinged Flipper: Ge5orce ( AJ )
    Best Axe: Mobile Failure ( Tracy Farber )
    Best Horizontal Spinner: Symmetry ( Leo Van Miert )
    Best Vertical Spinner: Tira V ( Kody Kunz )
    Best Saw: SDU ( Steven McGregor )
    Best Full Body Spinner / Ring Spinner / Translational Spinner: Hex Appeal ( Daniel Stickler & Joey McConnel )/Absolution ( Kody Kunz )/ No Consequences ( Joey McConnel )
    Best Horizontal Crusher: Full-Life Consequences ( Steven McGregor )
    Best Vertical Crusher: Visioned ( Chezza/Simple Gai )
    Best Miscellaneous Weapon: Blizzard ( Alex Holt )
    Most Effective Weapon: Psyclonizer ( AJ )
    Best RPG: A Team Zlayerz RPG: Identity Theft ( Kody Kunz )
    Best Battle: Psyclonizer vs Wedge Devolution ( Liam Eliot, Robot Smash!! Series 2: Recharged!)
    Best New Writer: Lewis Matthews
    Best New Tournament: Mechanical Maelstrom ( Lewis Matthews )
    Best Writer: Liam Eliot
    Best Alternative Event: Classic Smash! ( Liam Eliot )
    Best Minor Tournament: Mechanical Maelstrom ( Lewis Matthews )
    Best Major Torunament: Crash And Burn 3 ( Kody Kunz )
    Best Team: Team Varying Every Day ( Martijn M Benschop )
    Best New Vapourbot: Sacrifice ( Daniel Stickler )
    Best New Vapourboteer: Lewis Matthews/Tracy Farber
    Best Vaporboteer: Alex Holt/Steven McGregor/Frank Goacher
    Hall Of Fame ( People ): None
    Hall Of Fame ( Robots ): Symmetry ( Leo Van Miert )/Woodpecker ( Daniel Stickler )/ Another Night At The Bar ( Martijn M Benschop )/Dead Horse Beater ( Frank Goacher )/ Clawdius ( Steven McGregor )

Sorry if I have spelt anything wrong!

I removed some of the last postings not related to this topic. FYI

Thanks Leo.

And Ben...Im pretty sure Andy specifically prohibited voting for more than two people. Read the rules please

Register To Comment