Register To Comment

Thread: DIY RFID Beer safe

Im guessing this should be in Randomness, but...maybe it needs its own thread because its too awesome?

After starting out watching it for 15 minutes, decided to skip to the end bit. Is good though, makes me almost want to try it. Would stop the dogs opening doors Have to also say RS232 vs USB. USB has too many licensing restrictions to bother with for hobbists without using a FTDI chip which is not cheap and then most output in TTL RS232 anyway! Not to mention windows native support for RS232 makes programs easier as you dont need to interface with DLL files.

Just shows you how stupid Barclays contactless payment cards are. I mean all a theif needs is a reader and he can copy everyones cards as he walks passed them.

Some of the RFID cards can be programmed with codes in them (like the mifare Desfire card) which can act like an encryption key. The card can then encrypt the number before sending it. Im guessing that Barclaycard does this so that copying the number is a waste of time without the encryption keys. Still, clever stuff.

Never actually looked at how Barclaycard system would work, doesnt really matter in my eyes as if a shop can read them and charge you so can anyone, but I did assume the data transmitted is never the same twice.

If you look at chip & pin alot of fraud is done by cashiers themselves with dodgy readers, now they will be wireless.

I suspose someone can invent a screened wallet so at least they can only get you details on the rare ocasions that you take it out

(Message edited by big_nipper on November 10, 200

The faraday wallet, I like it!

Oh, another way would be to put a switch in series with the built in antenna so the card doesnt transmit until the switch is pressed

Dave

Register To Comment