Register To Comment
Page 80 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: How could I Improve pt 2

Quote Originally Posted by kodster
    Heard of Hawkers, Aaron? :P
    Yep, got a pair of them at home.

Sure, Hawkers can provide a lot of peak current but for size and weight, A123's are better. My Hawkers are 12AH (900amp peak) and weight 6KG each. I can use 8 x 4Cell A123's which gives me a 13.2v 18.4AH (960amps peak) battery for only ~3.2KG.

The only real worth benefit is SLA's are pretty easy to look after, don't require cell balancing or specialized chargers. The 'advantages' doesn't even do anything in vapours though...

So, why would you use SLA's in a vapourbot

Emergency ballast during worldwide imaginary Hardox shortage?

Concerning batteries in HW.

SLA is far from obsolete in HW, whenever you need serious amperage's, you cannot beat an SLA with any type of other battery. Not Nicad, Not NiMh, not LiPo, not A123.

All the newer types of batteries, rely on setting them in parallel, to up the max output. The only advantages you have with the newer type of batteries is weight. I still have 2 heavies with SLA in them, Mantis mk2 and RCC2. I won't even consider moving these to a different type of battery, SLA is perfect for them.

I know that in vapourbots the batteries are kind of an enigma, but don't assume that because a technology is older it doesn't have advantages. Not a lot of people know that a mechanical speed controller is more powerful and less prone to failure then an electronic speed controller, because hardly anyone uses them anymore since ESC's are more energy efficient. That doesn't make mechanical speed controllers bad or unusable.

For the most bang for your buck, SLA is still a very viable option. If you are pressed for weight, NiCad, NiMh, or A123 is the way to go.

Leo, stand back, back away from the SLA's, let them go :wink:
    Other issues with 95% of SLA's is the way they are AH rated, I know the 7 & 12amp units I had were rated at those capacities when drained over 20hrs. Hence when people started switching over from SLA to NiCD they found they could run on nearly half the capacity (7.2AH Nicd's instead of 15AH SLA's).

after reading these i feel like an idiot now cos ive started a series and i was so excited to see the vapourbots comps and wanted todo mine its practically gone wrong

right i need some help on improving my matches heres to examples from my series crazy bots (that may be cancelled cos i dont know if any 46 people wanna enter but 1 person can enter 46 if they want but it be very unfair cos they would have a 100 per cent chance of winning)

1st will be mortis vs firestorm vs panic attack vs storm 2

3....2.....1... ACTIVATE

storm 2 charges firestorm across the arena and slams it into the wall as mortis hammer axe blows down on panic attack
    storm 2 is flipped by firestorm and panic attack turns morts over but self-rights and slams its axe down again but it gets wedged inside panic attacks top armour, firestorm charges at panic attack and flips it over, taking mortis with it
    storm 2 pushes firestorm into the wall once again and activates the pit release, the house robots charge at firestorm but firestorm reverses into the pit storm 2 smashes panic attack against the wall and turns him over in a position it cannot self right as mortis hammers its underbelly and pushes it down the pit

CEASE mortis and storm 2 proceed
    2nd battle is chaos 2 vs hypno disc vs razer vs behemoth

3......2.......1.... ACTIVATE

chaos 2 hurls hypno disc in to the air and lands with a crash and behemoth overturns razer and pins it down, hypno disc self rights but OMG chaos 2 hurls hypno disc out in spectacular fashion razer self rights and behemoth tips chaos 2 over on its side and pushed towards mr pshyco who lifts chaos 2 over the pit and drops it as razer activates the pit
    OMG chaos out in the 1ST round, now razer crumples matlida as behemoth flips shunt,
    CEASE

any tips and help is welcome

Ok, some tips, both for your tournaments and your battles.

For your tournaments, be prepared to not get, say, over 16 people. Something like 8 people would be good to aim for for your 1st tournament. You can ask for a set number of robots per entrant, 4 perhaps, to get 4*8=32 robots. Mention these numbers in the opening post of a tournament (not nescessairly these exact numbers), and say what we can enter, what weight class, and what weight bonuses there are (shuffler? walker? tracks?... hovercraft?). Say how many heats there will be (if any), how many robots per heat and how they will fight (1 on 1, 4 way melee?), and what will follow after the heats are over. Say how your Judges' Decissions work (public voting is fine, but be prepared that you wont get 5 people voting in 5 minutes, sometimes if you wish to get 5 people to vote you'll be waiting for some days, thats simply how it sometimes works around here). Say if there are seeds (a bunch of real robot seeds for a new tournament is something unusual, but I cant see much against it myself actually). Maybe you also want to describe the arena, or have some additional rules about our robots.

For a some good examples of this, you may wanna check the opening post of the latest PTT viewtopic.php?f=201&t=2463&start=0 , or perhaps C&B4 <a class=postlink-local href=http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/foru...t=2586&start=0

Quote Originally Posted by pcbore
    Quick question. I've been toying with the idea of an interchangeable cluster 'bot. That is, a cluster 'bot with several different 50 KG robots, which can be swapped around. The question is, would this actually be legal under tournie rules?
    No. Because if you had some damage from a previous round, then you could just swap out that robot for a fresh one which would not be failr towards the other competitors who do not have this option. It would be like me entering 1 robot and having 5 identical robots standing in the car as backup.

Register To Comment