Register To Comment
Page 6 of 106 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: How could I Improve pt 2

You know what, its just too irritating.

Im ignoring all the n00bs and n00bish posts that come in Fanfic section for now, unless its directly involving me.

(Message edited by kodster on July 20, 200

And what brought this on Kody?

An MSN convo. What else? :P

Pretty simple, from the RW7 rules:

Walkers that employ a rotary camshaft to actuate feet will not qualify for the weight advantage (shufflebots). No walker must employ any device other than moveable legs to support its weight. No type of rolling or sliding mechanism will be allowed.

Note it doesnt say the camshafts are the feet (they arent most of the time) but if it uses a rotary camshaft to actuate feet. so no matter how much more elaborate you make the system, rotary camshaft == no walker bonus.

This is also the main reason you dont see many walkers. The weight bonus doesnt justify the complexity of the mechanism. KISS is always better so roboteers will always prefer standard wheels. The double the weight if you make it walk may look enticing but its not really. After all, a rotary camshaft is no more than a wonky wheel.

Leo is on the money...

Precisely one of the reasons why I dont make shufflebots. :P

I need your opinion on this guys:

For RS!!3 I was planning to move up to 128 robots to do an RW7 style tourney, but after a bit of thought I have wondered whether Ill actually I get 16 people, and I have enjoyed doing the RW4 style tourney in Series 2, so I was wondering what you thought was better?

In perspective of tournament scales, I would rather see a smaller 8-16 robot tournament that will get finished quickly, allowing a follow up tournament shortly after. The big thing I dislike about the large tournaments is, they always take ages to be completed and a lot of them dont get finished. The other issue is, by the time they are completed, the version of your robot is about 3 version behind your current one.

I reckon someone punching out 8 or 10 small 8-16 bot tournaments a year is better then someone running a 48-72 bot tournament and taking a year to do it... smaller, frequent tournaments keeps the action high, and the designs current.

So what youre saying is...majors suck?

I would agree that smaller tournaments are preferred in this case.

Register To Comment