Register To Comment
Page 53 of 106 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: How could I Improve pt 2

Few issues here...

Batteries: I dont know if polycarb cell holders would protect the batteries from impacts; polycarbonate is quite stiff (thats why Killerhurtz and Terrorhurtz are almost completely made of it ).
    To be honest youre better off just stating it has shock proofing inside, having foam around the batteries and slack wires would probably be a bit better (insulating the entire pack rather than, say, just the cells). I could be wrong here of course.

Bosches are comparatively heavy (3.8kg for one) compared to other motors you could use, LEM130s weigh 3kg and provide more peak power, Mags are around the same (although theyre a bit risky on 36v) and even Littons would weigh less than Bosches and do roughly the same on 36v.

As for the weapon...SERIOUS damage...how serious? Even though its purely theoretical, the Team Cosmos calculator provides a good indication of the damage something would do. (just run the ring part through the calc and treat the hammers as extremely big teeth). Also Id like to see how you get to full speed in 2.5 secs, spinup times have been a black art to me for some time but that still sounds suspect :P

Otherwise good, and nicely in weight by the looks of it.

Hi,

Your robot is lacking a lot of detail. What diameter is the disc? How many RPM? What is it's weight? I don't know Conquering Clown, so can you give a better description of the blade?

those stats look messed up on the new board but that doesnt stop it from being a deadly bot, a bit much Psyclo and a bit lacking in details

Typhoon's disc was petrol driven...can't remember what engine exactly but it was a Stihl chainsaw one, size and power unknown but I use a similar thing (Stihl MS880, 8 horsepower, 12000rpm ungeared speed, about 10kg) for pretty much all my spinners, that may be of use to you.

Most people seem to prefer using electric motors to drive spinners for some reason, the S28-400 Magmotor (4.5 horsepower at 24v, 4000rpm ungeared speed, 3.1kg) is a popular choice.

Typhoon only span at about 900rpm max, it did so much damage because it was very well made and there was a lot of weight in the spinning shell, particularly on the outer rim.

Hope all that is of use :P

Is there anything wrong with this?

(TEAM COLDSTORM HOUSE ROBOTS)

Napoleon Botaparte

Weight: 110kg.
    Shape: Reverse Wedge ala Bad Attitude.
    Colour: Blue, Purple and Navy.
    Dimensions: 120 X 100 X 37.
    Power: 2 X LEM-130's @ 48v, powered by several NiCad Batteries, Shock-Mounted.
    Wheels: 4 X Urethane Rubber Tyres with titanium hubs.
    Armour: 25mm Polycarbonate for sides, 5mm Hardox for front and rear wedges, 4mm Titanium for top and bottom.
    GC: 0mm for the wedges, 6mm anywhere else.
    Top Speed: 35 mph.
    Weapon: None.
    Srimech: Invertible, Side spikes prevent it from getting beached.
    Strengths: CRAZY PUSHER!!!
    Weaknesses: Exposed Wheels, duh.

Mangled Metal

Weight: 200kg.
    Shape: Cylinder ala Puck.
    Colour: Green.
    Dimensions: 120 X 120 X 23.
    Power: 2 X S28-400's @ 24v powered by several NiCad's, shock mounted.
    Wheels: 4 X Aluminum Tyres with Urethane Rubber.
    Armour: 3.5mm Hardox for Top and Bottom, 6mm Hardox for weapon.
    GC: 6mm Everywhere.
    Top Speed: 10 mph.
    Weapon: 74kg Ring Spinner powered by a LEM-200, with 4 X 1kg Pussycat style blades and spinning at 1300RPM. Shock-Mounted to protect itself from its own blows.
    Srimech: Invertible.
    Strengths: Once it hits you, YOU will be mangled metal. Flipping it does nothing. At all.
    Weaknesses: Slow and Sluggish.

Mind-Bender

Weight: 250kg.
    Shape: Cone with top 20cm cut off... kinda like Megabyte :P
    Colour: Swirl of black and white ala Hypnodisc.
    Dimensions: 120 X 120 X 27.
    Power: 2 X S28-400's @ 24v, powered by several NiCad Batteries, Shock-Mounted.
    Wheels: 4 X Aluminum Wheels with Asmaprene Urethane Rubber on it.
    Armour: 4mm Grade 5 Titanium for the robot armour, 5mm Hardox for the weapon.
    GC: 5mm Everywhere.
    Top Speed: Roughly 8 mph.
    Weapon: Get this. A 78kg Whyachi style Spinning Cage powered by a LEM-200. This spins at 1500RPM, and has three hardox claws to wreak havoc. Heavily Shock-Mounted, as well. Can you say, OUCH?!
    Srimech: None! :O But I'd like to see you get past his cage spinner.
    Strengths: Destruction to the MAX!
    Weaknesses: Flip it, and it'll be gone.

Head Smash!

Weight: 300kg.
    Shape: Think a box, with a Dantomkia-style front wedge, and a rounded back.
    Colour: Red, with an image of Decapitated Head on Top.
    Dimensions: 125 X 96.8 X 32.
    Power: 2 X LEM-130's @ 48v, powered by several NiCad Batteries.
    Wheels: 4 X Urethane Rubber Tyres with Hardox Hubs.
    Armour: 6.5mm Hardox, with 12mm Grade 5 Titanium for the Base.
    GC: 0mm for the front, 6mm for anywhere else.
    Top Speed: 19 mph.
    Weapon: A mega-powerful hammer. The entire hammer is made of hardox, and the hammerhead is shaped like the Judge's hammer. Powered by a couple of CO2 tanks @ 500PSI, and is able to immolate aluminum, terrorize titanium, penetrate weak hardox. But who knows, it might even knock something loose inside of the victim.
    Srimech: Hammer, duh.
    Strengths: The Hammer, Pushing Power is really good, too.
    Weaknesses: So-So Turning.

Lancelot

Weight: 400kg
    Shape: Invertible Box ala Tornado (Series 4)
    Colour: Metallic Silver
    Dimensions: 130 X 100 X 47
    Power: 2 X LEM-130's @ 36v, powered by a couple of NiCad's, shock mounted
    Tracks: Stainless Steel Tracks, with polyurethane rubber on it.
    GC: 5mm Everywhere
    Armour: 6mm Hardox Everywhere except for underbelly which is 15mm Titanium
    Top Speed: 20mph
    Weapon: A set of Horizontal Claws powered by a Vivoil pump running off a S28-400, and tungsten-coated to induce some severe damage. On the rear, it has a chromium coated spike powered by 4 X 2.5kg Nitrogen tanks. It will probably have 45 jabs to it, and it can make lots of holes in titanium and dent hardox without any problems at all.
    Srimech: None, but Invertible; side cones stop it from getting beached
    Strengths: Very powerful Weapon. Pushing power is also good
    Weaknesses: So-so turning?

Gorgon

Weight: 500kg
    Shape: Rollover Shape with low front wedge and fangs, and with a Medusa's head painted on each side.
    Colour: Camouflage tone of Chartreuse, Khaki, and Lime Green. It's so damn disgusting, you could almost puke...
    Dimensions: 120 X 10 X 27
    Power: 2 X LEM-130's @ 48v, powered by many NiCad's, shock-mounted
    Wheels: 4 X Vulkalon Coated Aluminium Tyres
    GC: 6mm Everywhere except the front, which is 0mm
    Armour: 5mm Hardox
    Top Speed: 15 mph
    Weapon: Crushing fangs made of hardox, and powered by an M-Mac M40 Actuator. The front wedge also has some barbs to trap other robots.
    Srimech: It rolls over onto its wheels every time it gets flipped over.
    Strengths: Extremely good weapon, can chew through almost anything (except for thick hardox)
    Weaknesses: ???

King Arthur

Weight: 750kg
    Shape: Box with a front Growler-like jaw, and a crown on top.
    Colour: Gold for the top and bottom, Silver for the front and back and Bronze for the sides
    Dimensions: 130 X 100 X 44
    Power: 2 X LEM-130's @ 36v, powered by several NiCads.
    Tracks: Vulkalon Coated Titanium Tracks
    GC: 0mm on the front, 5mm anywhere else
    Armour: 7mm Hardox Monocoque
    Top Speed: 10 mph
    Weapon: On the back, there is a huge vertical flywheel that is powered by a LEM-200, and spinning at 6000RPM. On the front, there is a set of vertical jaws (Think Growler, but much more powerful), powered by a Vivoil Pump running off a S28-400. It has 12 tungsten-tipped teeth inside the jaws to cause maximum damage.
    Srimech: None!
    Strengths: Good all-rounder.
    Weaknesses: No Srimech! :O

Personally I don't like extremely over the top house robots. With at least four of yours I can see their weapons - if they work as well as you have described - will almost completely disable any robot that comes into contact with them due to the energy levels or power involved. This means if I am in one of your tournaments, all I have to do is push my opponent into one of those things and that's the fight over, no demonstration of weaponry or anything other than pushing power, and it basically turns the fights into glorified sumo. This may be what you're aiming for - I don't know - but personally I prefer writing with house robots that look good and are good to write the actions of, but that don't really change the outcome of the battle they're in much. (This was basically the role of the RW house robots at first, Ivanhoe vs. Killdozer aside)

That is just my opinion though, they're your machines.

As for technical things:

Head Smash:
    - 'immolate' refers to burning things as far as I'm aware, how you're going to set fire to things with a hammer is beyond me.
    - How is the hammer powered? It's all very well saying you have some CO2 tanks, but what do they do...there are several ways you can use a pneumatic ram to make a hammer move, you can have it connected directly (Hell's Angel, although that uses rotary rams), through a linkage (Shunt, Dominator 2, Obsidian before Leo & Mario got hold of it, Splinter), through a chain or similar drive onto the weapon (Killerhurtz, Wedgehog), through the ram just hitting the axe (Iron Awe 1, SJ, and I believe Major Damage may have this as well), or through rack and pinion (Terrorhurtz, The Judge, Obsidian post-Mario & Leo). Since you don't even state a ram, there's nothing to stop me assuming that you're not just venting the CO2 in the general direction of the axe and hoping it falls down.

Lancelot:
    - Pneumatic spikes are not effective dealers of damage. Aaron (I think) said before that unless you're doing something extremely strange to make the spike go REALLY fast (and I mean faster than what you'll get out of an ordinary pneumatic ram) you have no hope of penetrating the armour used on most of the top robots nowadays. Aluminium, maybe, titanium not unless you're dealing with very thin sheets, and Hardox...nah. So I'd revise your expectations as to what the spike will do :P

King Arthur:
    - how much does the flywheel weigh? Teeth? You're normally good at providing these things...

Can i just add something please......

Lems on anything over 300kg is a no no. They are powerful motors yes but wouldnt last long in house robots. What you need is the good old Etek on 48v minimum. 750kg robot with 2 lems on 36v will be usless so your housy housy robot wont be doing much damage at all only to itself.

I might be wrong but i dont think i am.

Register To Comment