Register To Comment
Page 103 of 106 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1055

Thread: How could I Improve pt 2

Hey. I've kinda come back after ages and have done a bit of updating. These are some updates of old robots that could've done better, and now hopefully may

VOLCANO (Formerly 'Inferno')

€ WEIGHT: 100kg.

€ ARMOUR: 3mm Titanium on top, and 10mm Titanium on the base, with 6mm Weldox plating around the sides. It also has 1 Inch worth of PU Foam around the edge, 1cm of Vulkalon rubber around the as well, as well as strapping all the electrics down. All of the armour is curved over so no panels can be just be torn off.

€ SHAPE: Low cylinder shape.

€ MOTORS: 2 x S28-150 MagMotors at 24V = 6HP

€ LOCOMOTION: 4 x 60mm diameter Vulkalon treaded tyres.

€ DIMENSIONS: (L) 90CM (W) 90CM (H) 11CM

€ COLOUR: Black on top and bottom, with flames going around the outer rim. The disc is natural Hardox colour, with the name €˜VOLCANO€™ in fire colours.

€ WEAPONRY: A large horizontal disc mounted on top, made from 8mm thick Hardox, weighing 35kg in weight, with 2 large blunt non-attached teeth, as in the teeth are shaped from the disc, not needing to have teeth surgically attached. The teeth reached out 6cm, and are 5cm wide, 0.8cm deep, and are bent at the end to bend down to a height of 3cm from the ground, and therefore, it can strike low down. The disc is powered by 2 x S28-400 MagMotors at 36V, and get up to 2500rpm in the space of 2-2.5 seconds, and 50kj is the output achieved. In addition to the new model, a small 4mm thick Hardox bar will be welded across the disc, so now Volcano can self right by spinning its disc, something it€™s predicesor couldn€™t do.

€ SPEED: 12MPH

€ GROUND CLEARANCE: 4mm all the way around.

€ STRENGTH: Powerful weapon and strong armour.

€ WEAKNESS: May loose in a straight out pushing match.

SUPERSONIC (Formerly 'The Rock')

€ WEIGHT: 100kg

€ ARMOUR: 6mm Hardox on the rear, top and sides. 4mm Aluminium on the base and front. Inside, I have 4cm of Vulkanised rubber to make sure its good when facing spinners.

€ SHAPE: A low Beta-esque shape. 4 sided cut-off pyramid shape, with all sides sloped at 42* so to deflect spinners

€ MOTORS: 2 x S28-400 MagMotors at 36V = 12HP

€ LOCOMOTION: 4 Rubber Wheels that can be pressure adjusted to suit a situation i.e. greater acceleration will increase tyre pressure.

€ DIMENSIONS: (L) 80CM (H) 30CM (W) 80CM

€ COLOUR: White, except for the name on the front clearly in black, and the black-axe head.

€ WEAPONRY: A VERY powerful CO2 axe. The axe is 850mm long axe, completely made of Hardox, and the axe mechanism is mounted INSIDE the cut-off pyramid top of the robot to avoid it being ripped off by spinners as easily hopefully. The entire thing weights 5kg, with 3kg in the axe head - the axe head is Killerhurtz shaped to more effectively grapple an opponent as opposed to battering them. The axe runs on a rack-and-pinion system through a 250mm stroke, 100mm bore pneumatic cylinder at 190psi! This allows me to give 1000kg of force per hit! I have 30 hits, and I can cause some harm with a spiked axehead.

€ SPEED: 15mph

€ GROUND CLEARANCE: 5mm on every side, but they are covered up by Hardox spring-loaded skirts held on with Titanium hindges, so I can get underneath, and hammer away!!

€ STRENGTH: Good acceleration and powerful weapon.

€ WEAKNESS: Weak top/base armour.

AUTOISM 4.0

€ WEIGHT: 100kg

€ ARMOUR: This is a unique armour adaption for my robots. The actual armour for the body is 4mm Aluminium Boron Carbide (a material lighter than Titanium, but STRONGER than Tool Steel). It€™s a lightweight that allows for a 5mm Hardox exo-skeleton with triangles for extra-strength to quell blows from toothed spinners, as they hit the chassis before they hit the body.

€ SHAPE: Box shape with the front/rear shaped <>, but the sides are flat.

€ MOTORS: 2 x LEM130€™s at 36V = 18HP

€ LOCOMOTION: 4 x Wet Go-Kart wheels on top and bottom ala Big Nipper. The wheels are now 130mm in width each, giving better grip than before.

€ DIMENSIONS: (L) 60CM (W) 50CM (H) 15CM

€ COLOUR: Black for the armour, Silver for the exo-skeleton and crushing weapon. Now, on top, it has the name €˜AUTOISM 3.0€™ written in silver, vertically down the weapon.

€ WEAPONRY: The weapon is a Big Nipper style pair of horizontal crushers. The crushers are 1cm thick Titanium with several talon-like hooks built onto the claws, getting thinner towards the end so more force is applied. The weapon is a LEM130 at 48V powering a Vivoil pump with 2 x 100mm x 50mm rams at 3000psi, with a 2kg tank for storing the hydraulics, making 5000kg of force at the tips. The system can also be used to lift other robots up into the air, also with 5000kg of force at the tips. It can grab and lift and the same time.

€ SPEED: 15MPH

€ GROUND CLEARANCE: 0mm - 8mm. 4mm Titanium sprung skirts on the sides and rear make it a nightmare to get under.

€ STRENGTH: Power and Weapons make it a tough machine

€ WEAKNESS: Vulnerable to axe attacks, and also the thwackbots.

HEYGHT III

€ WEIGHT: 100kg.

€ ARMOUR: The armour is mounted on an ABC Chassis, with 3.25mm Hardox on flipper and 5mm Hardox for the rest, with a 6mm Titanium base plate. Inside, 2cm of Vulkanised Rubber is on the front, as well as 0.5cm PU foam on the sides and rear to protect it from shock-killing.

€ SHAPE: An invertible reversible wedge shape but with a box-type addition to the rear, like a mix between Envy and Maelstrom. All the sides are smoothed over as well to prevent side-stranding.

€ MOTORS: 2 x LEM130€™s at 36V = 18HP

€ LOCOMOTION: 4 Vulkanised Wheels, 60mm in width and 210mm in diameter.

€ DIMENSIONS: (L) 100CM (H) 20CM (Gets lower into the box part of the body) (W) 50CM

€ COLOUR: The body is black, with the name written in black on the silver flipper.

€ WEAPONRY: A C02 powered rear-hindged flipper made from 3.25mm Hardox, and powered a single non-attached (with the exception of bungees) 750psi 110mm pneumatic ram, coming from 2 x 1.5kg bottles, giving 30 flips overall. The ram is geared at 2.5:1, so the flipper produces 1400kg of force at the tips (can flip 100kg 7ft into the air. To help in getting under skirts, an extension is added to the front of the wedge. The flipper can self-right Heyght 3 in a 180* flip, but throws itself 0.5ft backwards and 2.5ft upwards.

€ SPEED: 20mph

€ GROUND CLEARANCE: 8mm all around, except for 0mm at the front, but it also has 6mm Titanium skirts held in place by 4mm Hardox hindges.

€ STRENGTH: Good armour and an awesome weapon.

€ WEAKNESS: Weak chassis and may be vulnerable to axes.

Could ppl suggest me improvements + stuff. They would be greatly apprechiated

On the fly at the moment, but for now all I'll say is that Aluminium Boron Carbide is not the best armour choice, as was once thought. (though Leo's reaction to it being overrated was funny, I was just thinking the same thing about titanium so... )

I haven't done this for a while, so sorry about any errors...

Volcano

» I did a kinetic energy calculation for the disc myself and got an output of 100kJ+. Either I have calculated it wrong (which is likely), or you might want to tone the speed down. 1500rpm would be closer to the 50kJ you're looking for.
    » Is the self-righting bar Ziggo style?
    » I would estimate that the spinning disc would weigh at least 40kgs, so you might have to tone down the armour or something. Your base armour would probably be close to 30kgs itself, which seems a bit overkill. I don't know anything about Weldox, so I'll have to trust you on that one. :wink:

Supersonic

» The adjustable tyre pressure is a nice idea, but how does it work?

Autoism 4.0

» So the intention is for the chassis to take the damage rather than the armour? :P
    » I don't think go-kart wheels that small exist.
    » Should Autoism 4.0 be written on top, or is that a secret weapon? :wink:
    » What powers the lifting mechanism?

Heyght III

» The shape is a little bit confusing, but that might just be me... 50cm wide seems a bit narrow as well.
    » Either I have misunderstood, or your robot€™s height doesn€™t match up with your wheel diameter and ground clearance.
    » Your flipping and self-righting calculations are... absolutely wonderful.

General Points

» S28-400 Magmotors might struggle on 36v according to
    Joey's motor table. He tells me that Fluffy used one at that voltage during RW7 and quickly burnt it out.
    » I know I am guilty of it in the past (and maybe the present), but it's probably best not to state the number of flips you can theoretically get in a battle unless you have some sort of method of accurately calculating it.
    » Overall, as usual, you have come up with some decent designs and good stats. Good job!

Hey guys, I've designed a new version of Equinox if anyone could give it a quick look over

Equinox II

BODY SHAPE: Wedge with coffin-style rear ala Cassius or Wild Thing, but with sloped sides and interchangeable rear plates. It has a set of 5 hinged spikes at the front of the wedge that are 20cm each long and made of tungsten carbide

WEIGHT: 100kg

DIMENSIONS (L X W X H): 85cm x 70cm x 40cm

COLOUR: Dark blue with purple chevrons on the sides, a demonic face on the wedge and a golden arm

LOCOMOTION: 2 x external wheels, each is 200mm in diameter and has vulkalon tyres for grip. They are mounted on a slant ala Tazbot for extra control. They are mounted on the sides of the rear of the machine, and are made of 8mm hardox with a thicker axle so that no spinners can damage them. There is also a castor in the front, internally mounted. This gives very good manoeuvrability, even superior to that of robots like Panic Attack.

GROUND CLEARANCE: 0 at the wedge, 10mm at sides and variable at the rear - 20mm with panel 1, 5mm with panel 2

DRIVE MOTORS: 2 x A28-400 magmotors run @ 24v

DRIVE BATTERIES: 2 x NiCad battlepacks at 24v in parallel

SPEED: 20mph, designed to be very fluidly controlled

TURNING CIRCLE: 0 metres

BODY ARMOUR: 7mm grade 5 titanium/vanadium 10% alloy monocoque. The rear panel is the removable one, as it is interchangeable. The first and primary panel is made of 6mm grade 5 titanium like the rest of the robot, but has two hoops ala Spawn Again to aid in self-righting. These hoops are made of tungsten carbide. The second panel is for use against spinners, and is scoop shaped, made of 10mm titanium

WEAPONRY: Running up the wedge are two strips of Mute-style barbs to ensnare opponents, and these work in unison with the main weapon. Running down the middle of the wedge is a hydraulic arm with a tungsten tipped claw on the end as well a serrated underside. This arm is worked by a vivoil pump, powered by a LEM-130 lynch motor @ 36v from A123 cells. It works at 2000psi, and is more for clamping and lifting than crushing. It's made of hardox and his 110cm long.

SRIMECH: The clamping arm can right the robot quickly with the first back panel, and should be able to with the second one also, but more slowly and could potentially be beached.

STRENGTHS: Excellent manouevrability, controllability and pushing power, versatile weaponry

THEME SONG: Ghost Of Days Gone By by Alter Bridge

NOTES: The original Equinox did well, but couldn't stand up to spinners. This revised design alters the body shape and ditches the lifting forks, hopefully it'll be more successful!

No particular problems, really, nice job Lewis.

Incidentally, I've been toying with the idea of redesigning Macduff the 5th. Ideas have come to me in the form of layers of carbon fibre armour, hydrostatic drive (Aaron, you there? would like to speak with you about this), complexly linked tracks, etc. But I'll post the stats here for all to see.

Macduff the 5th

Shape: Low box with a flat front, pointed sides (with removable skirts), and rounded rear.

Colour: Varying shades of blue, with silver-ish weapon attachments and skirt hinges, and the Scotland flag on top.

Weight: 100kg

Drive: 2 LEM130 Lynch motors run on 49.5 volts, geared 4.5:1 for better acceleration than previously.

Power: 5 packs each of 15 M1 A123 Lithium-Ion cells.

Motivation: 6WD; the wheel hubs are CNC aluminium and the tires are Storm 2-esque urethane rubber.

Speed: 15mph average; can get up to 30mph

Armour: 7.5mm Ti/V alloy, with extra 5mm Ti/V on the angled sides and rear. Side skirts are 5mm Grade 5 titanium. Weapon armour will be explained in said section.

Chassis: 5mm steel ladder

Ground Clearance: 0mm at the front with all set-ups except the drum, 15mm everywhere else.

Turning Circle: 0

Dimensions in CM (LxWxH): 100 x 80 x 15

Weaponry: Macduff has interchangeable weaponry. Set-ups are below:

SET-UP 1 - A pair of titanium lifting forks, diamond-tipped, powered by a lightweight linear actuator and can hoist 300kg. This makes Macduff's max weight about 97kg. Used against robots that attack with wedges, and bots that have skirts and low ground clearances. The main set-up.

SET-UP 2 - A 5mm Hardox wedge, powered by the same system. Makes Macduff's weight the full 100kg. Used against invertible FBSs.

SET-UP 3 - A angled, convex ramming bar made of 15mm Ti/V, built to withstand tough hits. Held in place with steel mounts, bulkheads, shock-padding, etc. Used against powerful, seemingly one-hit KO spinners. Removes the linear actuator but makes the full weight 100kg anyway.

SET-UP 4 - A small rear-hinged flipper made of 5mm Hardox, and powered by a 1.5kg CO2 tank and a 75mm x 50mm ram. Can flip over about 250kg and can right Macduff if needed, and has about 20 flips. Has a 5mm titanium 50cm long extension. Makes Macduff's weight about 99kg. Used if needed to tip over opponents quickly. A view of this set-up can be found here.

SET-UP 5 - A hardened steel spinning drum, ala Tornado, powered by a LEM130 Lynch motor at 36 volts. This removes the extra armouring on the sides and rear to accommodate the drum. The drum has two tungsten teeth to flip opponents quickly. The drum is 30cm wide, extrudes 15cm from the front, and is used against opponents with flipping arms, forks, and other attachments.

Srimech: Invertible with all set-ups, but SET-UP 4 can right Macduff.

Hello folks, ive been looking to improve one of my old bots, Druid, hope you can help me out here

Druid 3.0.
    Weight: 100kg
    Shape: Mortis in its Battlebots, season 2 guise, for those who dont know what it looked like, think Series 4 but with protective/anti wedge plates on the sides
    Colour: Black at the front, and gold at the back.
    Dimensions: 100cm x 80cm x 30cm
    Drive: 4x 24v S28-400 Magmotors, powered by 5x 3000mAh NiCad Battlepacks
    Locomotion: Mortis-style titanium tank tracks.
    Armour: 6mm hardox
    Speed: 18mph
    Ground Clearance: 0mm at front and sides, 5mm at the rear.
    Turning Circle: 0m
    Weapon: The weapon is a full-pressure Co2 flipper running off of a fire extinguisher, using 2 70mm bore 90mm stroke rams. the flipper is not only the front wedge, but also the top of the robot.
    It should flip about 750kg half a meter into the air.
    Srimech: Flipper
    Strengths: decent flipper, good traction and good armour all round
    Weaknesses: Inexperienced, weak at the rear
    Bio: Druid is dusted down and improved and is back once more
    Win/Loss Ratio: N/A

Can't understand this thread, why would you need to upgrade these robots they must be worth thousands,
    Droid has over £3000 worth of motors how can you afford that and what speedo do you use ?

Register To Comment