Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Greatest Moments in Vapourbot History

Nominate what you think are the top ten greatest moments in vapourbot history. They can be battles, quizzes, events, and even situations the entire Fanfic section needed to think about...

Point chart

1st = 10 points
    2nd = 9
    3rd = 8
    4th = 7
    5th = 6
    6th = 5
    7th = 4
    8th = 3
    9th = 2
    10th = 1

This is meant to be long term, so you can think for a long while. Dont want it going past December though. :P

Start thinkin!

I already have a list of mine,. and they are mostly all battles. Ahem...

10. Son of Ripper vs. Spin Dash in Velociprators Fanfic Tournament 1
    Year of Event: 2002

This was pretty much the battle that resulted in a lot of things, namely veteran Andrew Jacksons vapourboteer career, and Richard Southworths successive VF touraments, which gained popularity over the years and got many people more interested in the game. The VFT series was, in my opinion, one of the two best fanfic tournament series on the Robot Wars and FRA Forums, and this battle led to that.

9. Arrival and departure of Timothy James Sillery
    Year of Event: 2005-2008

Ah, you knew it was coming. This young whippersnapper arrived in 2005 and began to annoy the hell out of everybody. Twice he left, and twice came back, before finally getting the official boot. Its one of the Greatest Moments IMO, because hes finally gone! Woohoo!

8. The Wars Incarnate
    Year of Event: 2004-present

This series was started by none other than our own forum psychopath, Alex Holt. It had completely random fights between the most weirdest things. Not only did everybody get a kick out of it, but some similar concepts appeared: The Slapstick League, my own ATTTWI, and Joey McConnells TTTTTT (which featured vapourbots ). I think Mr. Holt deserves a modest applause for achieving this.

7. Newcomers Ahoy!
    Year of Event: 2007-2008

In September 2007, a newbie came to us in the form of Paul Cuomo. A little uneducated in the vapourbot rules, but he sure shaped up double-quick! Barely two months later we got another newcomer, Samuel Park, and then a month later, another, Chezza, and after that, Danny Bailey, a newbie that had registered before but not shown his face. More recent arrivals were Joey McConnell and Liam Eliot two very promising faces. Of all the newcomers here, I think since they have been here they have contributed a lot, and heres hoping they continue to, because it is very promising for the future of Fanfic.

6. Black Panther Queen vs Cosmic Thunder 2 vs Yet Another Cut Above The Rest in Mechanical Noise - Series 1
    Year of Event: 2006

Not only was this battle extremely well written, but it left little doubt that Martijn Benschop had just as good writing talent as anybody in the Fanfic Section, and thus, as Richard Southworth above, earned him the title of respected writer . Also it completely dispelled the myth about foreign writers unable to writes battles well. Id give a hearty round of applause to our flying Dutchman.

5. Drilla Killa Renaissance vs Kronic vs Hexadecimator vs Archangel Of The Abyss, and Thermidor 2 vs Heart Of Fire vs Hellbrand vs Yet Another Cut Above The Rest in the Fowler Fic War 3.1
    Year of Event: 2006

This shows just how well an old-time veteran can really write a battle. Not one, but TWO extremely long and extremely well written battles, all in a day. Mr. Matthew Fowlers talents at the keyboard were certainly noticed by a few, and Aaron Knight himself said Best Fanfic Battle for 2006! at the first fight. Also this was at a time where Fanfic was about to die out completely, and he kept trying to keep it alive, so this deserves to be one of the Greatest Moments.

4. Gabriel vs. Quaestor vs. 147 vs. Fire And Ice vs. Nidhogg in the How Could I Improve thread...
    Year of Event: 2008

Already a budding newcomer, Joey McConnell surprised me in especial by pulling one heck of a battle out of his head. It was his first battle, and although it did feature his own vapourbots, the writing was clean, crisp, and did not contain a single mistake. It left no doubt in my mind this was a serious new playa to our game. Joey, that was honestly fantastic, I digress.

3. The beginning of vapourbots
    Year of Event: 2002

How could this not be in here? :P Frank Goacher, David Weston, and Richard Southworth banded together to create the game we love so much. SOME of us think of it more as a sport and prefer it that way, and some just go with the flow. But in essence, Frank, Dave, and Richard are unofficially the creators of vapourbots and they should be honoured.

2. Mass Disctruction Ultimates three consecutive major tournament victories
    Year of Event: 2003-2004

Mass Disctruction Ultimate. The name strikes fear into all of its opponents. Aaron Knight is its creator, and it plowed through VFT3, VFT4, and PTT3, and is to date the only vapourbot to have earned three majors, let alone three straight majors. A 200kg walking cylinder it was, and nobody wanted to get near it. Its clash with Crankshafted in PTT3 was most special, because they sent each other flying across the arena...and MDU managed to hang on!

1. Steven McGregors Pussycat Tribute Tournaments
    Year of Event: 2002-2006

This deserves top spot. Why? These set of tournaments are pretty much the main reason why everybody had so much fun on the RW and FRA Fanfic sections. The battles are entertaining to read, and Steve knew all his stuff: side events, house robots, own arena, own judges score, you name it. Richards VFT was quite fun too, but it didnt have the same kick that Steves PTT did. The tournament was named after deceased member of Team Pussycat, David Gribble.

Unfortunately, due to lack in interest in writing, and overloading University work, Steven McGregor decided to hang up the towel and quit writing majors, turning the PTT5 into a hypothetical in February 2006. We do not blame him in the slightest, and the torch had to be passed on someday. Good luck Steve.

Ive voted.

(Message edited by kodster on May 19, 200

I strongly disagree with your number 9, the arrival of Tim sucked!

Ahem, I really liked this idea and am still working on my own list. I dont wanna see this die.

THANK YOU MARTIJN. I was going to bump this soon anyway.

i think the arrival of mark elam and the departure was amusing. it has me laughing for weeks.

Not sure if this counts as a vapourbot history moment, but when Shane started using the forum on a regular basis it began with postings from him in every single section. For those who knew Shane, or even just knew that he was an actual roboteer it was slightly amusing. What was hilarious about it was how it annoyed the living hell out of Kody.

Accusations of noob and spammer flew around about a little kid called Shane Swan who didnt know anything about robots and was just a pain in the asp
    Everyone went along with it in good humour, calling Shane a noob, newb, newbie etc except for Kody who still wasnt aware of Shanes status and got continuously hacked off whenever Shane posted random guff. Understandings were made soon enough though and theyve now become good friends

So yeah for me that was an extremely funny time for me in terms of stuff happening on this forum.
    (not flaming you for that Kody, it was just highly amusing from an onlooker point of view

Kody: I wouldnt put myself as one of the creators of Vapourbots, yes I was in the first tournements but not as a writer, that came in NBSFL 2. If I was to give credit for starting vapours it would go to Frank.

Kind of upset I didnt get a vote for my 30 robot match :sad: I still need more people for that BTW, and I WILL write it!

quote:

Kind of upset I didnt get a vote for my 30 robot match

well, weve only had 1 voter so far

Register To Comment