Register To Comment

Thread: How could I make a good tournament?

Before you even try to write an entire tournament, write some sample battles and post them in the improvement thread. Ask for opinions of what youve done wrong, and trust me until you get some writing experience you will get things wrong. Everyone does.

Learning from mistakes is another important point. In this case, we can learn from Pauls mistakes. Paul wrote entire tournaments before he even started posting them, and as a result the battles were of a consistant, rather poor quality throughout. No offense Paul

Some things to consider when it comes to writing battles:

1) When comparing stats, dont just look at numbers like HP or KJ, consider other factors such as shape. Say you have an FBS, and Storm 2. Both have LEM-130 drive giving them 18 HP. Storm 2 will always outpush the FBS, however, because Storm 2 has an efficient shape for pushing.

2) As for the result of a fight, try to give some detailed reasoning for why a robot has lost. Tengu hits Killotine, and now Killotine isnt moving and it is out! tells what has happened, but not why and is dull to read. Again, Tengu smashes into the side of Killotine! Killotine is spun around like a top, and isnt moving! Tengu backs off for a while to allow Refbot to come in, and Killotine is being counted out... etc etc, then put in something about the safety link of Killotine being knocked out by the last blow.

3) Have a good idea how judges decisions work. Dont just pull numbers out of your arse, rather re-read the fight and see which robot controlled the fight, did the most damage, etc... then pull numbers out of your arse, but in an educated manner

4) Most importantly, you need some respect in the community before people will even start entering your tournaments. If Kody and Aaron agree to back off, you need to be polite in turn.

(Message edited by pcbore on January 29, 200

what I have to add is when you do start your first tournament... which you should only do AFTER you gained a helluva lot more experience than you do now, make it a small 4-bot-tourney or so, makes stuff alot more easy for you

davids
    Start small and then move onto bigger things

quote:

If Kody and Aaron agree to back off, you need to be polite in turn.

I work on the Give respect, get respect basis. An even simpler way to get some experience with writing is to offer to do grudge matches for other people. This makes it easy as you do not have to follow a tournament structure, or commit to writing deadlines (Like finishing the tournament within a year...)

One of my first few tournaments was War of the Writers, a series where only tournament writers could battle, and another one called Get The Disc, which 5 people got the chance to beat up on Franks robot, The Disc

Tim, sit down, look at the writing of Steve, Rich & Martijn. Look at how they structured there rules and tournaments, then try doing the same, but offer to write grudge matches

Not really, any documented advice is always available for the future newcomers.

Register To Comment